TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. LN1_Casey

LN1_Casey Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Maracas.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 16
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

What "in the future" means is some unspecified time that's not today and unlikely to be soon. You make it sound like you believe all future Teslas will have it. That's not what was said.

3. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Meanwhile, big energy has now been informed that they are just as dead as big auto.

Tesla launches its UK Energy Plan, hints at upcoming Virtual Power Plant project

Octopus Energy broke down the key benefits of the Tesla Energy Plan. They are listed below.

• Power your home and EV with 100% clean energy
    • Reduce your electricity bills
    • Support the grid when it needs it most
    • Reduce reliance on the grid
    • Protect your home from power cuts
    • Be part of Tesla’s first UK Virtual Power Plant
    • Receive introductory offers
    In May 2020, Tesla filed to become a full-blown energy provider in the UK. The Tesla Energy Plan it released in conjunction with Octopus Energy may be the first fruits of that application.

• Informative x 36
    • Like x 17
    • Love x 1
  4. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Active Member

That's like spotting a murder hornet. You should have followed it to find the nest.

• Funny x 21
  5. MC3OZ

MC3OZ Active Member

#214725 MC3OZ, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Bi-directional power flow from the car, and home HVAC are a future part of the VPP.

In fact I don't think Tesla will stop there, any use/source of energy in the house is a potential candidate for eventual inclusion.

V2G will not replace a Powerwall, it will supplement Powerwall, if cells support it.

It seems for vehicles BD was optimizing for lower cost, and for Energy Storage BD was optimizing cost per cycle, there is a subtle difference.

If your car battery is not a "million mile" chemistry, V2G may be more for emergencies than active energy trading.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Nobody is going to hold off buying a powerwall for home storage and backup just to wait for some future car battery that'll cost a ton more and be far less available for those purposes because cars sometimes go places.

Going into BD the V2G superfans were SURE there'd be BIG NEWS about it- and ignored all the folks in here who kept pointing out it was not really as good an idea as they seemed to think.

Then BD comes... and Elon told them the same thing we did... and yet the Superfans apparently still think it was a SECRET READ BETWEEN THE LINES WINKS IT'S REALLY GONNA BE BIG message.

Drew only began talking at all there because Elon prompted him saying he thought they could do V2G in europe right now if they wanted, but NA not so much because of the extra HW issue.

Also- look up what really killed Osborne. Even Osborne didn't Obsorne themselves- they collapsed from a number of other stupid moves and mistakes- it's a popular oft-repeated myth though.

Notice how both Drew and Elon made the point north America needs extra HW such that using the car made even less sense with the NA connector on it?

And the Powerwall IS easier- because they install all the relevant HW when they install the powerwall- and then it just works. You never have to decide "Do I want to keep my fridge running- or do I want to leave my house?" or for that matter need to check before going to bed "Will I be able to get to work tomorrow if I leave the fridge running off the car?"

• Like x 2
  7. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

• Like x 18
    • Love x 5
    • Informative x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  8. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger "Ducimus, lit"

#214728 Artful Dodger, Oct 26, 2020
    OT: I tend to think its Not a Celebration, and you can Not buy it from the website:

Or its a sip of TSLAQuilla. /s

P.S. While we're off-topic, I predict Alex Trebek will retire this year to be replaced by Ken Jennings. :eek:

Cheers!

• Love x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. StarFoxisDown!

StarFoxisDown! Active Member

#214729 StarFoxisDown!, Oct 26, 2020
    That twitter account also has a image of the car going off road where there's no clear separation of road and terrain and it shows that the car can still determine its pathing. And the road itself was just dirt

• Like x 12
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger "Ducimus, lit"

"Tesla Plans $10B+ Spending, Elon Musk Performance Plan Details TSLA 10 Q Analysis" | Tesla Daily w. Rob Maurer

• Informative x 11
    • Like x 6
  11. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

so let me get this right? I didn't say one damn good thing. Got it! lol
    And then there is how all of what I said makes sense to me. Or at least SOMETHING MUST HAVE?
    But I will offer a bit of clarification. The cabin will be very small. The cabin will have a small solar array and an inexpensive small battery to keep the lights on. But not enough to power the life comforts of a fat old man with a fixation on TMC. The solar array can give the Cyber enough fuel to make it to a supercharger. And it will be fitted out to do just that, perhaps more if it is financially prudent.
    And v2g would be nice, and is expected (in my mind I do not figure out what you believe) in the cyber. And if it isn't the cabin will be a four-walled efficiency apartment, and can be supplied with the outlet(s) from the cyber if need be.

• Disagree x 1
  12. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

MMMmmm? I think you need to look at the lifestyle of the initial roadster buyer. I believe Elon even mentioned that he understood it wasn't probably in much of a demand for the millionaires that bought his roadsters, but would in fact be a desired and useful asset to the average booger-eating moron like me.

• Funny x 1
  13. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

SI
    upload_2020-10-26_22-3-21.png

• Informative x 14
    • Helpful x 1
  14. Sunlight

Sunlight Member

Whilst things seem to be fairly quiet and taking in account the brains and experience on this thread, please may I ask a question related to V2H/V2G?

I'm planning on converting my home-built sportscar to an EV but it will only be used infrequently for fun. This means that there will be 15kWh LifePo4 batteries sitting in the garage which I could use to supplement the house storage. Many have told me this is problematic for numerous reasons.

However another person suggests that connect the batteries to a timer and another MPPT and run it like a night time solar panel (96v)....

Will this work? Has anyone done this? It sounds sensible but will it work....

Thanks

15. MC3OZ

MC3OZ Active Member

I recommend that you post your question here:- DIY Lithium battery project(s)

Or search "DIY LiFePO4" in YouTube.

I found an interesting video.
    I've linked it here:- DIY Lithium battery project(s)

(Scroll to the bottom of the page)/

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  16. dakh

dakh Supporting Member

Since this is investment thread, all I have to say is far from everyone is like you. 20KWh to me is just crazy talk, all I need is something to run the fridge to not spoil the food and a few laptops and lights. I own a generator that I use to run tire warmers for my race bikes that is a bit under 2KWh, and when the power is out I rig that up and it's good enough with a lot of margin. That genset was around $600 if memory serves. I think powerwall makes a lot of sense in areas with a lot of sun.

• Like x 2
  17. Carl Raymond

Carl Raymond Active Member

Check your generator. You may find it is 2kW, not 2kWh. (i.e. if you run it for 10 hours it can produce 20kWh).

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  18. engle

engle Member

You $420.69 guys must be having a field day getting stoned and buying up all the $420.69 shares. Are you capping it?

upload_2020-10-27_3-12-19.png

Meanwhile, one of my chat friends in Shenzhen just told me:

Yes, it is very correct. Because of this virus, many Americans are facing a very big crisis. What is the reason? This is because Americans do not have the concept of saving. When the crisis comes, they cannot have enough protection to deal with the crisis, so they can only rely on the help of the government, but China is different. China implements isolation and everyone is conscious of being at home. Isolation means that there is no income for three months, which has not affected China in the slightest, so it is very important to have the concept of investment and savings.​

She is absolutely right. Is it too late for the average American to learn to save and invest? I think the core problem is they have nothing left over after they buy food, etc. and pay their rent.

O/T Personal note:

I indicated a strong desire to tour Giga Shanghai during the 5+ months I will be based in Taiwan and visiting Asian countries that are relatively safe Covid-wise. Hopefully, she can arrange through her business contacts... She told me China also has a strict 14-day quarantine for visitors just like Taiwan. So it would be a month spent in quarantine alone! If that happens, expect a lot of off-topic humorous posts from me here when the market's closed!! (I'll mainly be working on a writing project.)

• Like x 5
    • Love x 3
  19. amolina

amolina Member

I still haven't seen an unprotected left turn with an oncoming traffic yet in the videos. Has anyone else seen that?
    This is one of the most difficult thing for the Autopilot. Does the Beta solve it well?

• Helpful x 1
  20. Vad42

Vad42 Member

• Informative x 6