Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that they need to be working since Roth contributions can only be funded by earnings. So my gift allowed them to put their earnings into their Roths. :cool:
But it doesn’t matter what work they are doing, correct? Can I pay my son for being my tech support? Do I need to produce any documentation? He is college and doesn’t have an income. He just turned 21, but is still claimed as dependent on our taxes. I really want to buy some TSLA for him to hold. Would be a great Christmas present. He is already a huge fan of Mr. Musk.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
Expecting heavy manipulation today to keep the SP below $500 but another plop Monday or Tuesday

I do believe you meant "pop", dear boy :eek:

Hey, I bought a Roadster II :D

This is what happens when $TSLA goes on a rip, we all buy more merchandise = more profits = higher SP = more merch!

The REAL Roadster is still on the agenda, post-house, in the meantime I will place this in my office and fondle it daily.
upload_2020-11-20_15-40-18.png

Last edited:
But it doesn’t matter what work they are doing, correct? Can I pay my son for being my tech support? Do I need to produce any documentation? He is college and doesn’t have an income. He just turned 21, but is still claimed as dependent on our taxes. I really want to buy some TSLA for him to hold. Would be a great Christmas present. He is already a huge fan of Mr. Musk.
Roth IRA Contribution Rules: The Comprehensive Guide

They would probably need to declare the income... (1099?)

And yours is baseless and paranoid.

CRs "masters" are their subscribers. They take no advertising money and pay for everything they test.

They've been instrumental in finding (and getting corrected) significant product and safety flaws in a slew of products- including cars- going back decades

That incudes finding the Model 3 ABS bug- for which Elon explicitly thanked them- and as noted resulted in great positive press by being able to fix it via an OTA instead of a physical recall.

CR released their annual car ratings. In the same 1 month period they've released them every year going back at least a decade or more.

But somehow it's a conspiracy to suit some nebulous "masters"?

Not EVERYTHING is a vast global conspiracy against your personal interests.

A message this country desperately, desperately, needs right now.

I don't think there's some kind of conspiracy with CR. I do think they apply old metrics to completely new products that put EVs at a disadvantage. However they do it to be consistent and to level the playing field. Things important for an EV is mere foot notes for ICE, therefore having Tesla falling behind in many of their metrics.

For example, any software update that requires a car to be taken to the shop should be a reliability issue as it's a shop visit if we count panel gaps as a reliability issue. However a lack of OTA doesn't matter and has zero weight. So I think CR just needs to get with the time but Tesla is too fast of a moving target as they are defining what is more or less impt for the future of transportation.

You know nothing about "Buffet."

He is known for just the opposite of what you present. He buys family businesses who will only sell to him because he DOESN'T restructure them and strip out the assets. He only shuts down businesses if there is no hope of at least breaking even in the future - which has happened very few times and was caused by factors other than poor management. He doesn't resell businesses he's bought either - which is the standard venture capital model. No hostile takeovers either.

He DOES buy stock on the open market in good companies selling at big discounts to their value. Was buying AAPL at 10X earnings unethical? He DOES run a tight ship - no wasting money at his businesses. He IS 100% trustworthy.

He does NO financial engineering. BRK's borrowing is often in their financing units to re-lend that money consumers to buy things like their homes. Very little leverage. Tons of cash. He doesn't give guidance, have quarterly conference calls or manipulate the financials to boost reported profits. He paints an unbiased view of the companies strengths and weaknesses and presents all the information an investor needs to value the business.

In an earlier post I stated that he does nothing that would give an opening to anyone for any kind of criticism. Even then, there are those who attack him for no other reason than his success.

My apologies if this upsets some of you; in my opinion, WB is still *just* guided by profits no matter how these are obtained, no matter if they hurt people taking in the larger view. Not denying he did some great investments and didn't do direct damage in GE's Jack Welch style, still doesn't address my point: he's just guided by profits and has little understanding or interest beyond profit numbers.

Too much work to document what pro traders know, but I'm listing below some not too great investments/ positions he took, all in the name of profits. With the same amount of capital to invest (wisely and profitably, as he knows how) he might have done much good, but nah, he just wanted profits looking at established businesses (well run, with a moat, etc). Imagine if he only had 1/10th of ARK's talented industry analysts!
Because our system is based on pure profits and the true nature of capitalism has been perverted by greedy CEO's corporate and corporations well shielded from responsibilities when found guilty of criminal acts (see below for references).

Alright, some tidbits on BRK's and WB I find problematic:

- his investment/ loan "saving Goldman Sachs" from possible bankruptcy(1) - OK, that was pure financial maneuvering, possibly knowing full well that the US Government (with leaders mostly ex GS and beholden to the status quo anyway) wouldn't let them fail.

- his investment in so many financial companies/ banks.
Seriously, what do these banks produce, besides profits when gambling (illegally, now legally thanks to the half baked repeal of Dodd-Frank) with depositors money, and getting their losses absorbed by the Fed (aka us the taxpayers) when their gambles don't work out. Arbitraging, for economic benefit ha hahhahaha see how HSBC et all colluded on exchange (or was it interest rates). Doesn't really matter: please just Google "wallstreetonparade goldman sachs" to get a list of little reported scandals, use Citibank or HSBC, or Wells Fargo instead to find the other ones.
Essentially whenever caught (and the SEC really tries hard not to), these financial institutions get a slap on the wrist, pay a token penalty, keep all their ill gained profits, AND continue on their brazen criminal behavior.

- his "genius" investment in Coca Cola. Or See's Candies, bof ... really ..how much did they contribute to US obesity and medical procedures and drugs (however "profitable) ?
Personally I much prefer companies like Vital Farms Bringing Ethically Produced Food to the Table | Vital Farms which are very profitable ( great IPO too! ) and do the right thing for animals and small family farms. To me that's a better use of the capitalist system.

- finally his support for coal and gas companies, even tho climate change may be real, just because it makes business sense. Really?
Warren Buffett bets $9.7 billion on a long future for natural gas
Or " Buffett summed up his rejection of climate proposals succinctly at the 2014 Berkshire annual meeting: “I don’t think in making an investment decision on Berkshire Hathaway, or most companies — virtually all of the companies I can think of — that climate change should be a factor in the decision-making process.” from
Here's what Warren Buffett thinks about climate change

On Goldman Sachs many scandals gone by with little real punishment, or if you prefer Wells Fargo's scandals gone unpunished , same with Citbank ... Would we have suffered if these banks had been allowed to fail and their executives sent to jail? .. Iceland did that and came out well ahead while we are still kicking the can down the road with who knows what end in sight.

So, all in all, with more power comes bigger responsibilities - that the current financial system does not discourage destructive decisions for people and the environment doesn't mean we should just not care about how our financial decisions end up affecting the rest of us and the planet. Elon Musk truly is a hero for doing the right thing even if the odds are not in favor, because it is the right thing to do. Imagine ... (yes, also the Beatles) .. He didn't mind risking his entire fortune too BTW. Compare to old Warren Buffet.. meh..in so many dimensions!

elon-musk-odds-not-in-your-favor-1068x561.jpg

(1) Here’s how Warren Buffett made $3.1 billion on his crisis-era bet on Goldman Sachs

Does “We the People” Include Corporations?
Corporations now enjoy privileges of personhood, and at the same time shields executives from illegal /criminal acts.

Last edited:
Another manipulation Friday! Seeing a fair amount of capping, especially a bit earlier as TSLA tried to get above $501 for the second or third time, and just now when TSLA tried to get back over $500. Volume has been the friend or enemy of the cappers depending upon which way volume is trending. Should be another exciting day! At least for now, as many of us would have expected, $500 seems to be the magic number where defenses become the strongest.

Not ready for Robotaxi until it figures out how to handle school zones!

Now there's a real challenge for AI, Identifying and reacting to a marked school zone!

I wonder if Musk and team are up to this most vexing problem? o_O

If this important problem is too hard for them, our investments could really suffer! ;)

/s

Another manipulation Friday! Seeing a fair amount of capping, especially a bit earlier as TSLA tried to get above $501 for the second or third time, and just now when TSLA tried to get back over $500. Volume has been the friend or enemy of the cappers depending upon which way volume is trending. Should be another exciting day! At least for now, as many of us would have expected, $500 seems to be the magic number where defenses become the strongest.
Are you seeing the same orders to sell being put in and then pulled?

I'm no expert but my guess is that the IRS would expect to see W-2's or 1099's with enough income reported to cover the Roth contribution. That's just using a common sense approach. Tax laws don't always make sense though.

Big Warning to all Tesla shareholders, Ok S&P 500 announcement came,Stock hits 52 week high, everything fine at the moment but watch out until Dec 21st, Institution need to buy huge amount of Tesla stock ,obvious thing to do for retail investors, not sell Tesla stock.

Here is the game Institution may play, Let’s intensify and dig bad headlines news for Tesla , short a little stock and depress stock price , retail guy sells it, cover the short.

For example why consumer report short of bad rating comes out on day stock hits 52 week high ? wall street is high stake game, stay strong all long term shareholders, do not let headline news screw up your head and sell your stock.
Did i really read this? You'r telling long term shareholders to not let headline news screw up our heads and sell our stock? LOL!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Paul_SF