TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. BlackS

BlackS Active Member

Did i really read this? You'r telling long term shareholders to not let headline news screw up our heads and sell our stock? LOL!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  2. BlackS

BlackS Active Member

I have a strong conviction that ARK knows what they are doing :)

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  3. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope And the meek shall inherit the Earth

Everyone knows the MM's are going to dick about with the price today. On the other hand, a good day for whales to accumulate, just keep buying every time they push it below $500...

• Like x 4
  4. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

I dislike mentioning CR whether they have a positive or negative review. Over the years, they have panned virtually every product that I've found superior. CR's methodology seems to be lowest common denominator wins and supports industry standards as being gospel. (Guess who writes the industry standards.) So typically their highest rated products are the mediocre ones that have no originality. Their testing methods leave a lot to be desired because they test as received with no adjustment, and use the same test for each product (even when the instructions out of the manual are different). This generally leads to the best products having the lowest rating since the higher end products almost always require a bit of customization to really show their stuff. However, if you want to buy a cheap mediocre product (which many people do, and I don't fault them for this), then their reviews have merit because you can pick the best of the lowest common denominator products.

5. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Any income counts. Babysitting, cutting grass, etc. It doesn't have to be a W2 employer as long as it's legitimately earned income. My wife is a consultant who operates under our LLC. We put our early teen daughter to work filing and performing other office tasks and the LLC pays her directly into her own ROTH IRA.

• Informative x 9
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  6. Drax7

Drax7 Active Member

yeah right, and he is giving most of his money to the gates foundation.
    Please give it a break.

• Like x 4
  7. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

Pretty much a mirror of yesterday's action at $495, maybe the best they can do is $510 today after all.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  8. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

But again, CR does not take advertising.

So I remain unclear who you think "they" is here that they're "incentivized" to support.

The only people supporting their business model are... their subscribers.

Which are the same people who sent in the 329,000 replies to the car survey they simply reported the results of.

It's not like they haven't called out Legacy auto companies many many times in the past when they found problems and safety defects or something.

If you want to call their methods outdated, or their product irrelevant- there's absolutely a case to be made for either.

I've yet to see any evidence of any specific bias or bad acting though, or even a credible theory about what would cause one.

Exactly this. The autopilot comparison story is a perfect example... if you only read the top-line headline you get a vastly different story, one where Tesla did poorly, than if you look at the individual test results- that clearly show in the areas likely to matter to most they easily had the best scores.

That article, if you bother to read the details, shows Tesla off as way ahead of the competitio- which wouldn't be the result at all if CR had some anti-EV agenda.... But all the OMG CONSPIRACY folks saw was the headline that focused on the least important component of an ADAS system.

It's important to understand more than just the headline in any report... and also what data is being presented and if/how it might be useful.

Things like data on brand or form factor reliability for a given appliance type for example still has a lot of value from a source like CR, even if their methodology for modern vehicle testing is very long in the tooth.

• Disagree x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  9. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Perfect example of only reading the headline and not the actual article :)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  10. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope And the meek shall inherit the Earth

Isn't there a Consumer Report thread?

TBH I preferred the "chat room" posts...

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. EVMeister

EVMeister Lover of Tesla

#219671 EVMeister, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    I know this isn't the Xpeng thread or whatever. But Elon Musk going on a nice anti-Xpeng rampage on Twitter. Could be informative to some.

Edit: He's being very restrained. Maybe we'll get more later. :D

• Disagree x 1
  12. mejojo

mejojo Supporting Member

Why hasn't the spanking machine been fired up yet?????

• Like x 2
  13. BlackS

BlackS Active Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  14. CaliBear1

CaliBear1 Supporting Member

Speaking of Bangkok, I spotted this beauty parked at the JW Marriott the night TSLA began its big S&P inclusion run up. The red plates indicate it’s new. Until MIC Teslas make their way to Thailand with ASEAN treaty duty-free benefits, they will be a rare sight, as importing them comes with something like a 100-200% import tax. :eek:

CF50A563-908E-4CF1-8F38-39687273C16A.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like x 14
    • Informative x 4
    • Love x 3
  15. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Active Member

• Like x 1
  16. joh01652

joh01652 Supporting Member

Yes, this. Thank you for posting.

My respect for WB, both as an investor and as a citizen, has fallen precipitously with his recent bets on fossil fuels. And it's not just WB, but the entire community of short-sighted, small-minded, STEM-flunking profiteers looking to turn a quick buck.

My investment in TSLA is ultimately a vote for physics, because at the end of the day all the profits in world mean nothing if one doesn't have a stable climate and a stable food supply coupled with clean air and water.

I bought a 3 last May even though it was FAR from the best thing I could do for myself financially. After purchasing the car I put even more money in TSLA because I thought it was a great car and the company needed support. I was really depressed that such a great, pro-environment, small American company was getting *sugared* on day after day in the press.

I am a terrible investor. But I do have a strong background in biology, physics and chemistry. I bought TSLA for the sole reason that I felt that they were doing more to combat climate change than any other company on the planet, not because I thought the stock was going to 9x my money.

Tesla truly is the People's Company, as someone here as mentioned before.

17. Oil4AsphaultOnly

Oil4AsphaultOnly Supporting Member

That's because xpeng stole Tesla's engineers and source code: Tesla case against Xpeng Motors over alleged Autopilot code theft faces roadblock

Which is why Elon's point about pace-of-innovation being so important. By not being static, xpeng wasn't able to profit off of the stolen code, instead having to solve the technical problems themselves. Their inclusion of lidar should mean permanently higher prices for their vehicles AND self-driving vehicles that just aren't as capable. Check back in next year to see how they do compared to FSD.

• Informative x 15
    • Like x 7
    • Love x 1
  18. elasalle

elasalle driVIN(188xx) it !!

Who's buying today? Added some Jun 21's in 540 range. Short term play for quick profit if SP takes off in next 2-3 weeks on S&P play.
    The Stalling @500 for max pain to play out looks like a good opportunity.

• Like x 2
  19. corduroy

corduroy Member

Just bought a few Dec 31 and Jan 15 OTM calls. Short term calls are definitely pushing my comfort zone, but let's have some fun.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  20. AudubonB

AudubonB RIP Borealis 2006-2020

~~~(at least)Two topics that, once again, came to this thread with a modicum of topicality have been pounced on by those who have to throw their 2 watts in and not only derail the continuity of the conversation but also demonstrate a disturbing and toxic mix of conspiracy and ignorance.

Any further posts that mention either Warren Buffett/BRK or Consumer Reports must do so specifically and solely in the context of TSLA, or they will be deleted and their posters sent to TimeOut.~~~

• Like x 12
    • Helpful x 4
    • Love x 3
    • Informative x 1