Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also I believe there is a firm $250 floor protecting TSLA. Elon’s billionaire buddies, foreign investors, and people who like “free” money buy at $2xx. Also Elon faces margin calls at $230 so you better believe that price is well guarded
I've heard about Elon's margin calls before and I would be interested in more details and/or links about this.

Reactions: erha and saniflash
I've heard about Elon's margin calls before and I would be interested in more details and/or links about this.

Don't have time to dig up the info again, but the short summary is, the "Elon loses everything at $230" thing is false. Not least of which because only a minority of his Tesla stock is currently collateral. I don't recall the exact figures, but the real problematic number for him is somewhere under $100.

Well they bought NUMMI without staff( as far as I'm aware). I think the impressive press was extra but not sure of other bits of kit. Someone closer please correct me --- if required sorry bit behind the curve on this one---- " 'bin avin' me chips"

Correct. NUMMI came as an empty shell and no employees. Largest press line purchased used, separately, and from Michigan if I recall correctly.

Demand Ex-US for $40k car going to be much higher than 50%

Agree!

Cars in general are much more expensive in Germany for example the $35K-$40K range:

- you are getting BMW 1,2 and some low config. 3 for that range
- Audi A1,A2,med. config A3, low config A4
- Japanese, Korean mid-Sized
- lowest config A-Class, C-Class Mercedes
- etc....

Many countries around the World have high import duties, so $40K is cheap.

M3 demand should be huge, assuming EV infrastructure is there, and govt. policy is appropriately supportive!

Looks like we are playing a different game with different expectations.
I am currently 100% in TSLA, and hope to sell 20% if it hits $600 after Earning call. ;)

Same here. You've heard the term Tesla stretch? Well this is TSLA stretch. I've never bought this much of any one stock before. I'm not worried about diversification right now because Tesla has to succeed at the mission. If I'm wrong and Tesla fails, we'll probably all be living in an uncomfortably warm Waterworld/Mad Max/Idiocracy hellscape and using oil for currency by the time I'm eligible to withdraw my IRA funds.

Trimming Tesla in Q2 paid off massively in Q3. The same thing will probably happen at SpaceX. SpaceX has been growing so rapidly that this probably is necessary.
No idea about SpaceX.

In general all companies have a lot of "fat". So, laying off is generally ok. But the real issue is how do they select who to lay off - and how do they ensure people with needed knowledge are retained. There will be a tendency on the part of managers to keep yes men and lay off others i.e. companies keep the fat and throw the good bits.

One good thing is - I like it when people are laid off when the market is good - so they can find alternate jobs easily.

It wasn't really about not liking estimates...it's that there were no estimates and the media spun it as a '''missed estimates" when it was in line w expectations. No one had heard of these estimates ahead of time. In fact, all the estimates were generally too low.This is where the manipulation is concerning, because the media spread false information to deliberately affect the stock price. I have no problem w estimates, but falsehoods spread to undermine the stock - yes....and you should be concerned about that as well. Whetheror not the SEC does anything is beside the point.

I agree with you, but probably not how you want me to... LOL

But yes, there are crazy estimates out there every friggin day... For everything...
How many times have we seen a rally "out of nowhere", on "news" of "a China trade deal"....
Only to be F-ed the next day when somebody else says something else....
It's ALL media spread false information....

My original point wasn't that bull$hit gets put out there.....it absolutely is..
It was in regard to somebody telling people they should send letters to the SEC...
And they're nuts if they think the SEC cares about high/low estimates, that somebody else objects to.......
Again, just silly...

As an aside, I think we ALL know that media finds a "reason" for everything, no matter WHAT happens...
And in this case, the stock sold down afterwards, and "missed estimates" was just a lazy way to report a "reason"...

If you asked me, I think it was a reaction to Q4 results actually looking pretty good, but, there were no Q1 estimates from Tesla, and investors might have noticed that, and said, "hmmmmm"....
But, the stock's done nothing but climb since then, so apparently all good...

Can we stop spreading this 'joke', please? It's in very poor taste and there are people that read this forum that may run with it into news cycles and create more negative views against Musk.

Hi Jeff,

If it does get out there, maybe someone picks up a phone. You never know and as they say:

There might be something there that wasn’t there before.

This would be the most powerful couple in the solar system.

Just an observation: I worked for a prominent Chinese company in their main U.S. office. About 1,000 employees, mostly Chinese.

Model 3's alone account for over 1% of the cars. This has happened just in the last 6 months. I imagine many/most of the new cars purchased in that time frame here were Tesla's.

Chinese love Tesla.

Lol at classified prominent Chinese company with 1000 employees that are mostly Chinese.

What else do other Tencent employees drive? Luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes?

Tencent, btw unless changed has a 5% stake in Tesla.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Don't have time to dig up the info again, but the short summary is, the "Elon loses everything at $230" thing is false. Not least of which because only a minority of his Tesla stock is currently collateral. I don't recall the exact figures, but the real problematic number for him is somewhere under $100.

Last number I saw backed up with some actual analysis from the relevant filings was $180.

So there's only 4 major sources of financial data that institutional traders use - and Thomson Reuters First Call is certainly a major one.

FactSet is another, different network:

"The financial data industry is dominated by 4 large providers: Bloomberg, S&P (Capital IQ + SNL), FactSet and Thomson Reuters Eikon. All four try to offer a one-stop-shop platform that provides all types of financial data services (with a massive price tag, as you’ll see below)."

Bloomberg vs Capital IQ vs Factset vs Thomson Reuters Eikon

So when we get analyst consensus summaries from @Remster32 from a (presumably) Thomson Reuters terminal or data subscription, they generally won't match the FactSet consensus.

(Perversely, most of this is hidden from 99.99% of the investing public - while it's obviously very relevant to the pricing of stocks.)

If FactSet's service is competitive with what the other 3 services offer, which I see as implicit in your comment, it wouldn't make sense for their data set of analysts to include only 9 analysts, vs. 20+ found for the other services.

There's are two main possibilities I see as to how a "delivery miss" was attributed last week to Tesla's numbers based on the average of only 9 analysts in their data set,

1) only 9 of the 20+ analysts whose earnings and revenue numbers are known to be available ALSO made delivery and production forecast numbers available

2) FactSet cherry-picked among the 20+ analysts production and delivery numbers a group of only 9 analysts to game what the "consensus" number would be, and create the false impression of a miss by Tesla.

The first possibility does not seem likely to me... how does an analyst forecast a revenue or earnings number without forecasting vehicles sold? I don't remember ever seeing an analysts report that did not include such a relatively big picture level of detail as units sold.

There may be some alternatives I'm not thinking of, but, the "consensus" number from only 9 analysts, which was widely reported as a Tesla "miss" last week looks very suspect to me. Fact Checking, more smoke for the SEC to look at? The difference between 20+ analysts and 9 is not subtle.

Agree!

Cars in general are much more expensive in Germany for example the $35K-$40K range:

- you are getting BMW 1,2 and some low config. 3 for that range
- Audi A1,A2,med. config A3, low config A4
- Japanese, Korean mid-Sized
- lowest config A-Class, C-Class Mercedes
- etc....

Many countries around the World have high import duties, so $40K is cheap.

M3 demand should be huge, assuming EV infrastructure is there, and govt. policy is appropriately supportive!
Maybe... I think in N.A. Tesla managed to squeeze ~50% of overall reservations to go into high-trim. It makes sense that more people would buy cheaper, but I think among core supporters many "overspent" for multiple reasons -
1. Long wait, so buy whatever is available & be done with the wait
2. $7.5k tax credit close to being phased out, so get more features upfront with a discount
3. Support the mission even if it costs you
4. States with winter conditions - RWD doesn't quite cut it, so have to upgrade to AWD
5. AP is a cool toy, a must have for geeks, who else has it?

With Europe and China, there could be some differences- specifically the production rate is stable enough, so I think you can get your non-SR car within 2 quarters - less uncertainty. Don't know about incentives & possible expirations; winter conditions should apply; given the increased delivery speed I think it's possible that smaller % than in N.A. would go for a higher trim, which is why I estimate on the low side - 7k/week*12 weeks=84k - this is less than 100k reservations(including ~14k reservation MRs in Q4 - my calc for ~100k/14k Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable; the only mistake I made there is I didn't notice the 455k number was for 2017, not 2018. But I believe reservations would not change significantly, probably not more than +10%) in N.A. and some number subtracted per N.A. deliveries in Q1 2019. This car should be more popular in Europe than in U.S.; therefore I hope the same will apply to high trims and in Q1 the numbers of non-N.A. sales would be not much less than what was sold in N.A.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mrdoubleb