TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Unpilot

Unpilot Sell order in at $3999.99

• Informative x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Active Member

If that’s the case, it should be a no brainer to shift available resources and production mix to make as many S/X’s as possible because they have higher margins/profits. They should know since the drop in S/X contributed to the loss in Q1, though part of that was due to the demand side. So, I don’t completely buy the opinion that they can’t make ’em fast enough.

• Disagree x 1
  3. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Well-Known Member

I bought a new Chevy in 2005, and the owner of the dealership stopped by to thank me. He was the grandson of the man who did the same thing when I bought my first new car there in 1965. In 2008 General Motors bought their dealership before selling the property to a supermarket chain. It was felt by GM that during a recession there were too many Chevy dealers in the area, and that the land could be more economically productive for a different type of business. Once low maintenance electric cars become ubiquitous, look for many dealerships to abandon their businesses and sell the land for what they can get.

• Informative x 8
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. StarFoxisDown!

StarFoxisDown! Active Member

The semi actually seems to me to be the most compelling product that will have consistent demand for a long time and a long term revenue and profit. Not just from the sale of the Semi to the customer but I'll be really curious how Tesla bundles FSD and custom software to Semi customers(think custom FSD software for platooning, energy use/conservation, etc...) I hope they do something like a subscription service to it where Semi customers that want it pay idk, something like 1k a year to run the software. They would still save a ton verses paying for a driver.

As for the pickup, while it won't be important for sales, I think it could have a shock and awe affect that would drive interest from people to Tesla as a brand. The new roadster had a similar effect when it shocked everyone. People were talking about it for weeks.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

He already 'burnt out' once a couple years ago and took an extended leave from Tesla. He would be valuable to any company, especially one developing electric semis.....

He has been EM's troubleshooter for years. Always put in charge of areas of extreme need.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
  6. TheMrX

TheMrX Member

I disagree, we need Tesla to set a standard as to what is supposed to be an electric pickup truck.

This will leave no choice for GM and Ford to take the turn if they want to stay alive.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 2
  7. aubreymcfato

aubreymcfato Supporting Member

IF Elon did a F150-like pickup, but electric, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you.
    I'm worried he'll go for a F750 or something, something huge. Not the "the new electric standard".

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  8. kbM3

kbM3 Active Member

Because if someone is selling an income generating asset that lasts 10 years and fully pays for itself in less than 2 years, it would be sold out years ahead of time.

I’m positing what would happen if Tesla flips the switch, the robo-taxi instantly works all over and no competition is forthcoming for a long time.

In actuality, I believe there will be snags, roadblocks, legal and regulatory hurdles, more costs than anticipated...

But if it works somewhat well and is an appreciating asset, why would anyone buy a different car, unless they couldn’t afford it or it just could not fit their needs? So if Tesla didn’t raise the price, the waiting list would just grow and grow.

9. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

Well, at least there will be no lack of suitable locations for expanding Tesla service centers! :cool:

(Probably at NUMMI prices, too.)

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  10. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

They will need the profits from the something huge to pay for the new electric standard. This method has worked in the past.

• Like x 1
  11. Prunesquallor

Prunesquallor His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain.

If Q2 is epic and it continues to Q3, I think there is going to be a serious dissonance between what 30,000 people per month think and what talking heads on CNBC think.

I mean, someone had to call BS at some point.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  12. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

Just to give a quick update FWIW, my tour got reactivated for June 10 again, same time. Told they made some adjustments to our tour route so will be able to accommodate previously scheduled tours.

I did see a tweet to Elon about somebody who had a big trip planned and didn't want to get disappointed, wonder if that had something to do with it.

I look forward to not telling you all what I see at the investors meeting on June 11th!

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 6
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 1
  13. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Supporting Member

My understanding was new machines went in to reach 24Gwh. 7,000/wk of 65Kwh average battery packs needs only 24Gwh.

14. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Active Member

Hahaha, that steampunk pickup scares me a little bit. :p Was more bullish about it before Elon tweeted something like, "well, if people don't like it, at least I do." :p :D

Jerome indicated, as others have noted, that they're taking it slowly with the Semi. Slow and steady ... That said, as I think @neroden but maybe someone else noted, Tesla will save a ton of money using its own Semi trucks for transport between Nevada and California.

• Like x 5
  15. Fred42

Fred42 Member

They might use part of the Maxcell improvement to lower the cell count and costs rather than increasing range. Also I don't think double density is something that's known.

16. SPadival

SPadival Active Member

Now that Elon has given us an ;) “unofficial”;) Q2 delivery number, I am back in with a small purchase at $183.8 (pre-market) :D

F Wall Street analysts

• Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. Carl Raymond

Carl Raymond Active Member

Only do cryptics. “Automaker could be a steal”.

• Like x 1
  18. Fred42

Fred42 Member

No one has mentioned the obvious solution: squeegee men!

19. tander

tander Active Member

#57939 tander, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    The logical progression: they sell a lot this quarter, more the next, and so on until autopilot comes out, they have to start taking reservations again and they appreciate at least for a while. If they start appreciating it might get kind of crazy. The big question is probably how many will they make in China and when will the Buffalo plant start producing? Were they going to make them in Nevada too? What happens if there is suddenly demand for 500k a year and they can only make 150k? If BMW can sell 4-500k 3-series I think it's a safe assumption that eventual Model 3 demand is higher even if they never appreciate.

• Like x 1
  20. mekberg

mekberg Member

This 100%. Each Tesla owner probably sells another four to family and friends. Graph that out...

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1