Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ladies and gentlemen, the future of the Tesla network:

The Boring Company on Twitter

Exactly ! A few years down the road, the moat that is the supercharger network for car sales, will have the Boring Company Tunnels as its parallel with respect to the Tesla Network.

The supercharger network has been a priceless investment; for an equivalent billion dollars, there could be (at current costs) move than a 10, 10-mile corridors in major cities. One could charge a premium for the Tesla Network, not a discount from what Uber and other ride hailing companies charge. This even before FSD is available.

Yesterday the pre-market was at 184 for a short period, I think that was the bottom, and anything below 200 was a good entry into $tsla I think. I brought my average down to 210, and I am pretty sure my portfolio will turn positive soon :)

It was definitely below 184.
upload_2019-5-24_20-4-4.jpeg

Any idea why my pre market order won’t execute some time even when I keep the limit a little higher? Brokerage account is Schwab.

:DElon just tweeted a hilarious summon video that may not show off summon all that well but really shows people’s enthusiasm for the product and has high virality potential

Elon Musk on Twitter

Can't understand a word the guy's saying, but indeed his enthusiasm put a huge smile on my face :)

If that’s the case, it should be a no brainer to shift available resources and production mix to make as many S/X’s as possible because they have higher margins/profits. They should know since the drop in S/X contributed to the loss in Q1, though part of that was due to the demand side. So, I don’t completely buy the opinion that they can’t make ’em fast enough.
S/X have a hard upper limit due to using 18650 cells. They won't be able to produce any more than they have in previous years without a battery pack change which is a major undertaking with a significant lead time. Even then, all 21700 cells are already spoken for by the 3. Tesla would need to ramp up 21700 cell production by around 8.5GWh just to be at the same place they are now in terms of production, and redesign another product to accept 18650 cells, otherwise those cells would be going to waste.

None of this is feasible when Tesla already have so many other demands for 21700 cells.

It was definitely below 184.
View attachment 411486

Any idea why my pre market order won’t execute some time even when I keep the limit a little higher? Brokerage account is Schwab.

What was the bid/ask spread? Public graphs usually only show the average price - and during pre-market trading the bid ask spread can be significant.

Come on TSLA, stay below $200 until Tuesday when the rest of my powder is fully dry and I can pull the trigger!

Note that if you are convinced the price will go higher you can buy call options for next week with just a fraction of the dry powder.

So if you plan to buy say 200 shares you can buy 2 CALL contracts at $200 with next week expiry and lock in current prices plus pay a volatility premium, for ~$6 currently - i.e. for the total current cost of $1,200 for those two contracts.

Possible outcomes:
  • Should the price drop by more than those $6, i.e. go below $194, you lose the option value but you gain a better entry price. This is a 'good' outcome in terms of maximizing dry powder utilization.
  • Should the price stay at or go beyond $200 you can buy in real shares and sell the options - it will be a wash with a bit of time value lost, in the $1-$5 range depending on timing and the level of rise.
I.e. with options you can lock in an entry price that is the current price plus a couple of dollars of premium, while still able to take advantage of lower entry prices (plus the option premium).

Not advice.

Note that if you are convinced the price will go higher you can buy call options for next week with just a fraction of the dry powder.

So if you plan to buy say 200 shares you can buy 2 CALL contracts at $200 with next week expiry and lock in current prices plus pay a volatility premium, for ~$6 currently - i.e. for the total current cost of $1,200 for those two contracts.

Possible outcomes:
  • Should the price drop by more than those $6, i.e. go below $194, you lose the option value but you gain a better entry price. This is a 'good' outcome in terms of maximizing dry powder utilization.
  • Should the price stay at or go beyond $200 you can buy in real shares and sell the options - it will be a wash with a bit of time value lost, in the $1-$5 range depending on timing and the level of rise.
I.e. with options you can lock in an entry price that is the current price plus a couple of dollars of premium, while still able to take advantage of lower entry prices (plus the option premium).

Not advice.
Great info, thanks!

Dan

• Informative
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Hmmmm... It looks Elon/Tesla might really be pushing for profitability this quarter:

Tesla’s new cost cutting-effort is going all the way down to toilet paper

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Fred alert, but I used outline.com to read it, so everyone can reap my work now and not send clicks his way.

I really REALLY hate cheap industrial toilet paper.

Hmmmm... It looks Elon/Tesla might really be pushing for profitability this quarter:

Tesla’s new cost cutting-effort is going all the way down to toilet paper

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Fred alert, but I used outline.com to read it, so everyone can reap my work now and not send clicks his way.
If Fred's Roadster is invalidated, all TP supplies will be resolved