Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incidentally the ID.3 apparently has a CO₂ based heat pump:

VW will roll out CO2 MAC in new electric car series

"German car manufacturer Volkswagen will opt for CO2 mobile air-conditioning (MAC) systems in another series of cars by the end of 2019 – its electric car ‘ID’ series"​

I believe Mercedes also has CO₂ based heat pumps too. Maybe CO₂ heat pumps are out of patent protection already?

Oh great, CO2 emissions from EV secured. VW really knows their stuff.

So if I'm getting this right, it sounds like VW had to officially delay the ID3 til Aug 2020 and now there's an email floating around saying it's much worse and will likely be mid-2021.

If this were Tesla, how fast would this email have been on the front age of every site in the business world? I'm not seeing a peep anywhere as of Monday morning.

In the last video from Bjørn Nyland he drove an e-Tron 50 on his 1000km challenge. On the first charging
stop in Strömstad the Ionity charger was down. No info about this in the car. I thought Audi was one of the co-owners of Ionity. Surely this status info must be available for them?

I have experienced superchargers being down but then it showed in the map and my car changed the route slightly so that I could charge elsewhere.

Anyone can go to payment.ionity.eu and select a charging site. The web-page will then show which stalls are available at that site.

This was from a week ago. They were dead set on not delaying. If the new rumors are true... yikes

VW says software glitches on new ID3 EV will not affect sales launch

'VW Group CEO Herbert Diess has said he will need full availability of the ID3 from launch in order to ensure stringent new European fleet emission targets can be met without the need to pay potentially hundreds of millions, if not billions, of euros in fines.'

Assuming FCA already called dibs on all of teslas zev pool, maybe it is time for Volkswagen to pivot and invest into tesla to provide a large volume of skateboards with battery, drive train, sensors, ac, and most importantly software to make it all work together, while VW does what they do best, offer 43 variants of chassis and seat arrangements to the diverse needs of their customer base plus other legacy car makers customer base who are far behind the ball.

Don't they still have 300K+ diesels sitting in parking lots and fields across the US, still waiting for a plan to deal with them? I think it's been around 3 years now.

They could have retrofitted them with a VW eGolf like setup, leveraging Kreisels battery technology to get them to 150 mile range. Would be easy to sell them for ZEV credits to their customer base that prefers VW cars in chassis and seat configurations that they already love.

What car do you have?

Speculation is that older 3s are taking more time.

Why would an earlier Model 3 take significantly longer than a later Model 3? They should all take about 1-2 hours, no? When you say "speculation is that older 3's are taking more time." do you mean "speculation from a Tesla short-seller"? Who exactly is this speculation from? Because it matters if you're going to propagate it here.

It's actually quite difficult to do the software because they have to recreate all the functionality that used to be done in hardware (and it was hardware they just purchased from a vendor, not hardware they developed in-house). In addition, it's more like a couple of hundred control systems, not just fifty. And because automotive manufacturers don't have software development teams, they have to start from scratch. Just look at VW's software fiasco and you'll get the idea.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... There is very little knowledge base overlap between designing an EV drivetrain and ICE drivetrain. And most OEMs outsource everything but the engine!

Shorts that thought conventional automakers could just swoop in and make a better EV because they're both cars is just as stupid as thinking a company that makes diesel generators would be able to swoop in and build a better solar panel because they both make electricity.

So if I'm getting this right, it sounds like VW had to officially delay the ID3 til Aug 2020 and now there's an email floating around saying it's much worse and will likely be mid-2021.

If this were Tesla, how fast would this email have been on the front age of every site in the business world? I'm not seeing a peep anywhere as of Monday morning.
Not exactly.

The 1st Edition (30k limited run) is delayed until August. There is new evidence from a UK reservation holder, that the "standard edition", i.e. the normal cars coming after 1st will only get to customers in "Spring 2021". It is unclear whether this only impacts right hand drive vehicles.

PS: VW was sneaky. They made a huge media blitz around the launch of production with Merkel and all in November and said cars will be delivered "in the Summer". (Somehow no auto journalist asked a follow-up on the fact they cars will pile up in a warehouse for over half a year). Second, they never committed to production/deliveries of non-1st Edition a.k.a. regular cars, everyone just assumed these will follow the special launch edition right away. So *technically* there is no delay.

Last edited:
So there was this Model S on fire at Pleasanton, it is determined that driver lost control and crashed into pole and cement wall before catching on fire. The driver did not make it out of the vehicle
Not for censorship but also note that most here will complain about focus press puts on all accidents and fires, deaths and injuries in Tesla’s. This despite statistics that they all occur less frequently in Tesla’s. So I question why we highlight on this forum everyone we can find. I would certainly favor posting about one if it would be used to point out ideas about how to make the cars safer or if the rate (not frequency) of these increased

I was wondering: how much is CO2 is Tesla saving with is vertical integration approach?
The less they buy from OEMs, the less ships and planes and trucks go all over the world for pieces of plastic and metal.
I guess that at a certain point this will pay dividends both economically and environmentally (meaning: this is a great PR message to say out loud).

I was wondering: how much is CO2 is Tesla saving with is vertical integration approach?
The less they buy from OEMs, the less ships and planes and trucks go all over the world for pieces of plastic and metal.
I guess that at a certain point this will pay dividends both economically and environmentally (meaning: this is a great PR message to say out loud).

Musk has talked about this quite a bit. Overwhelmingly, he wants factories in each location that take raw materials from near that location, and - using locally generated solar energy - concentrates them down into value-added product streams rolling out the door to local customers. Lowest environmental footprint, best economics.

And with low-cobalt cathodes and synthetic graphite / amorphous carbon anodes, he can do it, too, with respect to cell manufacture. Every wet tropical part of the world (and some non-tropical areas) are rich in the nickel laterites needed for HPAL (and exploration has been limited thusfar, as supply is far greater than demand, as HPAL looks likely to render previously uneconomical laterites economical for production).

Global-distribution-of-Ni-laterite-Interactive-distribution-maps-showing-deposit-names.png

As for lithium, each orange circle is a current or future producer:

upload_2020-1-20_15-34-54.png

Historically, salar sources (predominantly South America) used to dominate, but today the supply is more diversified, and spodumene (primarily from Australia) has surpassed it. The new upcoming source receiving a lot of interest is lithium clays, including in the US.

Electrolytes are basic petrochemical products, generally various carbonates. Additives generally consist of various lithium fluoride or perchlorate salts, sometimes containing phosphorus or boron. Binders are generally fluorocarbons. The fluorine comes from HF which comes from acid fluorspar, which is mined the whole world over. China currently dominates, at about half the world's supply, but its share is dropping as it cracks down on pollution violations and new mines go online elsewhere. Phosphorus and boron will always be used at insignificant levels compared to agriculture.

MOD In-Post Edit:
This discussion obviously belongs in the "Resource Sector" thread; it is not ported over solely because of its first paragraph. Any response or further discussion is to be conducted only there.

Last edited:
I quote this completely because no matter how much evidence there is, no matter how quickly the evidence accelerates in quantity and quality, no matter! most peopel cannot begin to understand how profound the change has already been.

Just imagine that there are still Australian national politicians who refuse to believe what Hornsdale has been doing, much less the more recent distributed phases. Frankly I am astounded! Then US politicians insisting wind power causes cancer and high pollution, 'clean coal' is so much better. Denial is so powerful that otherwise intelligent people do not realize that Tesla Energy is soon to be more consequential than is the automotive business. It does not compute if people willfully refuse to see the evidence.

We should begin to make the TE contribution estimates and forecasts just as soon as we have 2019 results.
I wish someone would point out the harm that climate change is doing to Australia's second largest industry, Tourism. Maybe then they'd pay attention.