TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Both are stupid. Rebranding won’t do anything, whatsoever, as autopilot already implies that the system requires human oversight, and anyone who’s driven the car for more than 2 minutes knows that it tries to force you to do so.

And there’s no security measure that can withstand complete access to the hardware. Trying to prevent the owner from intentionally defeating the driver monitoring system is a hopeless enterprise.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Like x 8
    • Love x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  2. MTL_HABS1909

MTL_HABS1909 Member

I've never once had to take over to stop my Model 3 when a stationary car was ahead of me. And this happens on my commute everyday, where a stretch of road with a 90km/h limit has a stop light. I often go 100+km/h and my car ALWAYS detects stationary cars at the stop light.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  3. ammulder

ammulder '98 GS400 -> P3D+

#128643 ammulder, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    I've gone past mail trucks and utility trucks that were parked off the side of the road but sticking into the travel lane, where I've taken over because it wasn't apparent to me that autosteer was dodging out of the way to avoid a side-scrape or actual collision. (I don't KNOW that it would have hit anything, it just wasn't clear to me that it wouldn't have.)

I've also taken over to avoid debris in the road.

Of course, that while using autosteer on city streets where it's not yet supposed to be used, so I don't really hold any shortcomings against it.

But I do think it has room to improve before fully autonomous driving is enabled. (No surprise there.)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. theschnell

theschnell Member

Sure but most of the time it recognized the car prior to it coming to a full stop right? In other words the other car was moving and then stopped? Obviously there are times when autopilot does not recognize stopped vehicles. That is indisputable. How often that is an issue is something I cannot say.

5. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Especially when the media reports that Teslas are self driving anyway.
    Which do people read more, headlines or the owner's manual?

• Funny x 1
  6. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Active Member

I don't hear about anybody crashing on Autopilot and claiming they thought the name meant the car could drive itself. A problem that never happens is obviously not a problem. Anyway, the big news here is that he's no longer calling for a recall.

• Like x 12
    • Love x 1
  7. SO16

SO16 Active Member

Perhaps just use the internal camera for monitoring.

• Like x 1
  8. Foghat

Foghat Active Member

Can they sell a lot of ~100 mile range small cars compared roomy more capable, 220+ range model 3 costing only ~5k more and becoming more available in that market?

It may be valid to assume there is a limit to sales well below the aspirational run rate of 1500/week by end of Q2.

• Like x 1
  9. Sparky4life

Sparky4life Member

I think the combination of HW3 and unreleased FSD software makes this a temporary situation that will likely improve dramatically in the next few months. You can tell from the Autonomy day video that the new software has much better detection of 'drivable space' and the drivable space excludes parked vehicles on the side of the road. The new software renders both the stationary vehicles and the drivable space, and that was almost a year ago (April 2019, 'Autonomy day').

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 1
  10. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Ask Dr Stupid...

Also implies to me that there's enough demand elsewhere to sell all of US production, so let them stick with their home-made stuff for the moment. If this is correct then it really drives a stake through the heart of the "no-demand" arguments.

• Like x 1
  11. Prunesquallor

Prunesquallor Supporting Member

I don’t claim to understand European car preferences. Other forum members can chime in.

• Helpful x 1
  12. LN1_Casey

LN1_Casey Member

S and X don't currently have one, just the plebeians with the Model 3.

And I'm 100% down with changing Autopilot to Otto Pilot. @Prunesquallor

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  13. printf42

printf42 Member

OT:
    Don’t be ridiculous, Otto is a registered trademark already.
    How about OtterPilot, because, they are cute aren’t they?

• Funny x 15
    • Love x 3
  14. CatB

CatB Member

... and it did! At 561.25 - this is why I like limit orders (even if the big guys make a few cents on my transaction, I saved about $36 versus a market order first thing this morning).
    Not an advice, but every time I feel all chuff about saving a few pennies before I expect the stock to skyrocket, it crashes instead (happened before a few ERs that I thought were going to be killer and during the funding-secured roller coaster). So this is all part of my master plan to pick up a lot more shares when my annual bonus gets paid next month ;-).

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  15. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Ask Dr Stupid...

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  16. LN1_Casey

LN1_Casey Member

Otto is also a name, so why not Mr. Otto Pilot? Then it becomes a robotic assistant.

Or Sir Otter Pilot. Fancy, but yet still adorable.

And the best thing is, Overlord Musk might actually change it to something similar if the Senator gets any traction with his complaints. God, I love Tesla.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 3
    • Informative x 1
  17. Prunesquallor

Prunesquallor Supporting Member

#128657 Prunesquallor, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    If Elon was as into Airplane humor as he is MP and Spaceballs, there would be a chance, surely.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
  18. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

More steering wheel sensors? Everyone informed. Using cheat devices (weights for instance) tells you they know what to do. There are laws about running red lights and stop signs. When drivers do that they are punished and sued for the damage they do. We don’t blame the city/town for placing these. Or how about people using electric hair dryer in the bathtub? Do we blame the manufacturer or ban hair dryers?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  19. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Only if the smoke afterwards was weed.

• Funny x 2
  20. humbaba

humbaba Time Stand Still

Yeah. You know, I almost failed my drivers test because I couldn't park in the designated spot without hitting a cone. When I pointed out that the car I was driving was larger than the space the tester shrugged and said "do it". So I plowed over the cones. Still did well enough overall to pass, but it was close.

Point being, driver testing has next to nothing to do with actual driving. Arbitrary standards and the whole "10-and-2" or "3-and-9" or whatever else is not that meaningful. What matters far more is alertness and ability to make split second decisions.

• Like x 5