Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hear me out guys.. Why doesn't Tesla buy TikTok?

1) China loves Tesla and Elon Musk
2) Elon Musk wants to get to Mars; he needs social media FU resources to expedite this
3) Elon Musk loves social media; why not own your own company?

Tesla already has its relationship with a chinese social media mega-company and it's a lot more significant than TikTok. (Tencent)

I just don’t get it are they dumb or are we stupid? What is it?

Here are these so called analyst playing down TSLA for over a decade and Elon has to to prove himself over and over again to convince them. Now suddenly comes a “nothing to show for” big mouth Trevor. He is issuing an IPO on nothing and immediately after that, selling $70 million worth of stock just so he can buy the biggest house in Utah. In the mean time there is absolutely nothing and I mean nothing to show for. He puts up a great circus for a ground breaking ceremony for his new factory, which just remains that - one single spade of dirt of broken ground. Nothing more.
In the mean time Tesla is pumping out factories in China, Germany and Texas like there is no tomorrow and the same analysts go ‘meh’.

Are we the only ones who see though this con artist, or what is it? I really don’t get it anymore.

(So that was my rant for for the month - had to let out steam. Thanks)

Here are these so called analyst playing down TSLA for over a decade and Elon has to to prove himself over and over again to convince them. Now suddenly comes a “nothing to show for” big mouth Trevor. He is issuing an IPO on nothing and immediately after that, selling $70 million worth of stock just so he can buy the biggest house in Utah. In the mean time there is absolutely nothing and I mean nothing to show for. He puts up a great circus for a ground breaking ceremony for his new factory, which just remains that - one single spade of dirt of broken ground. Nothing more.
In the mean time Tesla is pumping out factories in China, Germany and Texas like there is no tomorrow and the same analysts go ‘meh’.

Are we the only ones who see though this con artist, or what is it? I really don’t get it anymore.

Not even a proper IPO, the sketchy backdoor process.

The article is pretty real. The Feds are going to be Ford's majority owner soon if this keeps up.
upload_2020-8-4_11-49-44.png

L5 is not going to be an overnight event with 1 release of new OTA software. When Tesla gets to the point of "feature complete FSD" that they release, that will still be officially L2 for a while -- i.e. legally the driver remains responsible and may need to take over any moment.

That will be followed by a long iterative fleet-learning process, where driver interruption data is streamed back to the mothership for the next iteration learning of the NN. Release that OTA, then rinse and repeat, then repeat, then repeat, many times*... At some point in that process it will be re-classified as L3 (at which point the driver is no longer at full responsibility all the time and the car needs to ask the driver to take over sometimes) and more iterations will repeat. And so on and so forth to reach L4 and eventually L5.

My point is, its a long process which merely starts by the release of "feature complete FSD" as Elon calls it.

* anybody who paid attention to the presentations on "autopilot day" should understand this

It's getting fairly OT at this point- so might be better to direct any further discussion to one of the autonomy threads elsewhere on the board.... but your estimation of how fleet data and driver feedback is used is.... very exaggerated from how it's really used... (see among other things Greentheonlys debunking of how much shadow mode actually does compared to what a lot of folks think it does).

And of course, the autonomy day presentation you mention folks should've paid attention to included Elon saying he was confident they'd have feature complete end of 2019 (they didn't) and they'd have legally approved Robotaxis this year (they won't)- so as he himself pointed out in the 60 minutes interview- if he's giving you a date on something he has never done before, he really has no idea what he's really talking about.... (which begs the question why he keeps doing it if he knows that...)

Also actual L5 is basically not gonna happen with this sensor suite- there's nowhere near enough redundancy or ability to handle bad weather... (it already often drops from NoA on highways down to just regular AP in moderate to heavy rain, let alone snow... because there's only a single camera (and in most cars a single non-heated front radar) pointing in most directions- so there's roughly 0 chance it'll ever handle L5 where by definition it operates on all weather conditions....

Best you'll get is L4, where part of the operational domain definition includes "within certain weather conditions" or similar language.... (and to be fair- L4 is all Tesla ever promised in the actual feature description when purchasing FSD for 2016 thorough early 2019 buyers- so they're in the clear there if they at least get that far... and buyers since March 2019 have been promised even less- just a specific list of things rather than general autonomy, and no promise of it ever being better than L2 on the sales screen).

So do not count on that impacting financials or the SP in the short term.

Absolutely- I expect the company, and SP, to continue growing even without them ever reaching L5- even a legit highway only L3, something I think is absolutely possible by next year- would put them considerably ahead of any other car maker though.

The longer term question I think would be what impact would it have if they eventually conclude they can't manage the robotaxi level of autonomy they envisioned with the current sensor suite?

If they've otherwise executed brilliantly, have 4 or 5 gigafactories churning out cars that still sell as fast as they can be built, have terafactories making a ton of next-gen batteries, and they're still generations ahead of everyone else on all other aspects of EVs and the energy business continues growing significantly.... does that really hurt them much? (other than maybe owing some refunds to FSD buyers)?

I don't think it really does other than temporarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Tesla solved L5 FSD while every other car maker is still on some version of L2 that's game over- NKLA could be found with the corpse of the Lindbergh baby and it'd make no difference at all to Tesla.

(that said I remain exceedingly skeptical that's a thing that they'll be able to do on the existing sensor suite- though I think something like L3 or maybe even L4 specifically on divided controlled-access freeways is entirely possible and still well ahead of any other car maker)
Interestingly, Autopilot is only Level 2 now because of how Tesla presents it. There are lots of sites that will "explain" the SAE levels according to their own interpretations. But going to SAE J3016 levels of driving automation the key division between level 2 and 3+ is whether or not the driver is driving. Tesla continues to be clear that the driver is always responsible and for this reason Autopilot is level 2.

But what happens when that distinction is removed? Autopilot satisfies specific notes and examples for level 4 autonomy. In the actual SAE document (you have to register to get access), for level 4 autonomy note 2 is a subset of Autopilot's interstate/divided highway navigation. It says, in part, "ADS features may be designed to operate the vehicle daringly part of a giving trip, after ODD requirements are met (e.g., a high-speed freeway cruising feature). It is hard to not see how traffic aware cruise control, automated lane changes and exits do not satisfy this. Here, the difference between 3 & 4 is that "this user is not a DDT fallback-ready user while the ADS is engaged." Example 2 carries this on further and mentions a notice like Autopilot gives when leaving the interstate.

Again, what keeps Autopilot from being level 4 is Tesla's declaration that the driver is still responsible. That is what limits it to level 2. Instead of pushing for level 4 for interstate trips Tesla is broadening the capabilities. The "city driving" will allegedly bring an experience like that of interstate trips and so broadens the scope of what would be level 4 autonomy when Tesla achieves sufficient safety and convinces regulators of that.

So I don't think we will ever see Tesla at level 3 -- it will jump straight from level 2 to level 4 when driver responsibility is removed (and not before then).

SAE J3016 automated-driving graphic

Indeed, some games are being played today. Some hot money may be temporarily transferring out of TSLA and into a host of companies reporting earnings this afternoon, including NKLA. :rolleyes:

After that, I wouldn’t be surprised if the media soon trot out ARK’s Cathie Wood to update her comparison between NKLA and TSLA. :cool:

now, question I’m debating for the weekend before market open Monday...to sell my 25 shares of Apple and buy more Tesla to add to my position, or hold Apple and just keep buying up Tesla as I work and earn
But the Tesla growth potential is bigger than Apple, in the near future. They are attacking more target segments. Apple will have a steady growth, Tesla exponential the 5 next years

The article is pretty real. The Feds are going to be Ford's majority owner soon if this keeps up.
View attachment 572464
IMO, it's been obvious for a while Ford won't survive as a stand alone company. At some point, their BOD will admit this to themselves. Before long, they will make moves to become an attractive merger partner since this is the best way to limit the loss of shareholder value.

It will be a bloody bad time for a lot of their employees.

Slightly OT but I think it’s worth asking here. How do people with more than 250k account value handle the lack of FDIC insurance over 250k in a single account? I’m coming close to this point and need to start planning...

Securities (SIPC) are separately insured typically up to $500k in a brokerage account where cash (the FDIC) side is $250K.

Also actual L5 is basically not gonna happen with this sensor suite- there's nowhere near enough redundancy or ability to handle bad weather... (it already often drops from NoA on highways down to just regular AP in moderate to heavy rain, let alone snow... because there's only a single camera (and in most cars a single non-heated front radar) pointing in most directions- so there's roughly 0 chance it'll ever handle L5 where by definition it operates on all weather conditions....

Best you'll get is L4, where part of the operational domain definition includes "within certain weather conditions" or similar language.... (and to be fair- L4 is all Tesla ever promised in the actual feature description when purchasing FSD for 2016 thorough early 2019 buyers- so they're in the clear there if they at least get that far... and buyers since March 2019 have been promised even less- just a specific list of things rather than general autonomy, and no promise of it ever being better than L2 on the sales screen).
Is that really the definition? Humans can't drive in every condition for that matter. Personally I've only had AP fail due to heavy wet snow accumulating on the camera or salt spray. I do think some sort of mini windshield wiper/spray nozzle for the cameras are needed though. It is annoying to get out on a roadtrip and clean the side cameras.

I'm not certain that my Model 3 can do it, but I very much expect them to make sure my Cybertruck can.

IMO, it's been obvious for a while Ford won't survive as a stand alone company. At some point, their BOD will admit this to themselves. Before long, they will make moves to become an attractive merger partner since this is the best way to limit the loss of shareholder value.

It will be a bloody bad time for a lot of their employees.
Kill off most segments, keep the F-series alive under a new maker as an EV or perhaps niche gas/diesel brand.

Last edited by a moderator: