TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. AlexS

AlexS Member

@Smokey4141 just stick for a week or so here and read a bit. you will learn much more than you can learn in a year on twitter

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  2. SpaceCash

SpaceCash Member

He's not new

• Like x 10
    • Informative x 1
  3. anthonyj

anthonyj Stonks

Also I believe there is a firm $250 floor protecting TSLA. Elon’s billionaire buddies, foreign investors, and people who like “free” money buy at $2xx. Also Elon faces margin calls at $230 so you better believe that price is well guarded

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Hogfighter

Hogfighter Professional Lurker

Could Tesla Be a Millionaire-Maker Stock? Could Tesla Be a Millionaire-Maker Stock?

These comparisons are precisely why TSLA is such a controversial stock. Why are they comparing stalwart companies in a declining industry (ICE) with a growth stock with few competitors?

• If Tesla grows to BMW’s size in just 5 years, does the author think that demand will plateau right at those numbers? BMW has been growing around 5% per year....Tesla ten times that.
    • Toyota would wet themselves to get Tesla’s gross margins.
    • Of course it’s practically impossible for a $50B+ company to grow 100 fold.

• Like x 7
  5. Sparky

Sparky Member

Per Wikipedia, Musk, JB and Ian Wright are considered co-founders. I think @avoigt 's comment is cogent. Can we stick a fork in the "founder" punctilious?

• Like x 3
  6. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier Unknown Member

I've heard about Elon's margin calls before and I would be interested in more details and/or links about this.

• Like x 2
  7. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Don't have time to dig up the info again, but the short summary is, the "Elon loses everything at $230" thing is false. Not least of which because only a minority of his Tesla stock is currently collateral. I don't recall the exact figures, but the real problematic number for him is somewhere under $100.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

Correct. NUMMI came as an empty shell and no employees. Largest press line purchased used, separately, and from Michigan if I recall correctly.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  9. FS_FRA

FS_FRA Member

Agree!

Cars in general are much more expensive in Germany for example the $35K-$40K range:

- you are getting BMW 1,2 and some low config. 3 for that range
    - Audi A1,A2,med. config A3, low config A4
    - Japanese, Korean mid-Sized
    - lowest config A-Class, C-Class Mercedes
    - etc....

Many countries around the World have high import duties, so $40K is cheap.

M3 demand should be huge, assuming EV infrastructure is there, and govt. policy is appropriately supportive!

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 2
  10. pz1975

pz1975 Member

Agree. Was blocked a long time ago.

• Like x 11
  11. BOBTHEJOCKEY

BOBTHEJOCKEY Member

I think that Gordon Johnson is a paid basher. I bet he works for an oil company.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. Silent Ludicrosy

Silent Ludicrosy Supporting Member

Same here. You've heard the term Tesla stretch? Well this is TSLA stretch. I've never bought this much of any one stock before. I'm not worried about diversification right now because Tesla has to succeed at the mission. If I'm wrong and Tesla fails, we'll probably all be living in an uncomfortably warm Waterworld/Mad Max/Idiocracy hellscape and using oil for currency by the time I'm eligible to withdraw my IRA funds.

• Love x 8
    • Like x 6
    • Funny x 5
  13. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

No idea about SpaceX.

In general all companies have a lot of "fat". So, laying off is generally ok. But the real issue is how do they select who to lay off - and how do they ensure people with needed knowledge are retained. There will be a tendency on the part of managers to keep yes men and lay off others i.e. companies keep the fat and throw the good bits.

One good thing is - I like it when people are laid off when the market is good - so they can find alternate jobs easily.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  14. Smokey4141

Smokey4141 Banned

I agree with you, but probably not how you want me to... LOL

But yes, there are crazy estimates out there every friggin day... For everything...
    How many times have we seen a rally "out of nowhere", on "news" of "a China trade deal"....
    Only to be F-ed the next day when somebody else says something else....
    It's ALL media spread false information....

My original point wasn't that bull$hit gets put out there.....it absolutely is..
    It was in regard to somebody telling people they should send letters to the SEC...
    And they're nuts if they think the SEC cares about high/low estimates, that somebody else objects to.......
    Again, just silly...

As an aside, I think we ALL know that media finds a "reason" for everything, no matter WHAT happens...
    And in this case, the stock sold down afterwards, and "missed estimates" was just a lazy way to report a "reason"...

If you asked me, I think it was a reaction to Q4 results actually looking pretty good, but, there were no Q1 estimates from Tesla, and investors might have noticed that, and said, "hmmmmm"....
    But, the stock's done nothing but climb since then, so apparently all good...

• Disagree x 8
  15. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

If you see CEO salaries in the US, you will appreciate that they may be for sale, but are definitely not cheap. Both in terms of how much money they make for themselves and cost the company.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  16. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Not even that. Last week, it was generally in the vicinity of (310 ?), but in the last 30 minutes went up.

17. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Hi Jeff,

If it does get out there, maybe someone picks up a phone. You never know and as they say:

There might be something there that wasn’t there before.

This would be the most powerful couple in the solar system.

• Disagree x 2
  18. FS_FRA

FS_FRA Member

QZ.com : China making non-EV factories practically impossible to build.

• Informative x 10
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  19. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Lol at classified prominent Chinese company with 1000 employees that are mostly Chinese.

What else do other Tencent employees drive? Luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes?

Tencent, btw unless changed has a 5% stake in Tesla.

• Like x 1
  20. CuriousSunbird

Last number I saw backed up with some actual analysis from the relevant filings was $180.