TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. JohnDinger

JohnDinger Banned

OT but what transportation companies?

The overwhelming majority of US trucking / logistics is done through independent contractors and small businesses.

2020 is expected to be the first year where independent contractors pass FedEx/UPS for last mile deliveries, too (look at growth of Uber Eats, Postmates, TaskRabbit, etc.)

2. RobStark

RobStark Well-Known Member

3. SO16

SO16 Active Member

Have you needed to wipe off the cameras? I haven’t. I suppose if I went mud bogging, that may be a different story.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  4. RobStark

RobStark Well-Known Member

Top 5 Largest Trucking Companies in the US

upload_2019-5-22_3-3-15.png

JB Hunt is a partner and reservation holder of Tesla Semi

Then there are Costco, WalMart, Target and Supermarket chains that have their own fleets of Semis. Coca Cola Pepsi Co Anheuser Busch.

• Informative x 5
  5. Pras

Pras Member

Why assume that he didn’t put spacex shares as collateral? Is that because banks prefer a liquid stock than illiquid? I guess while it is a factor, banks take all kinds of collateral. My point, could he not be using spacex shares for collateral?

• Like x 1
  6. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

I've yet to clean either the repeater or B pillar cameras beyond the regular cleaning they get from rain and/or car washes every few weeks. I'm ashamed to admit I've actually gone a couple of months at one point without any kind of car wash beyond whatever the weather provided.

Somehow, the backup camera on the other hand, I've had to clean several times if the conditions were just "right". Not spontaneously, just over many weeks, eventually realizing I'm having a harder time seeing anything at night through it. Luckily, this is not super important for the purpose of safe driving when already moving in traffic, with the other cameras in play (since the occasions to stop and reverse in traffic are rare). Again though, the build up was gradual, so a regularly scheduled cleaning for any robotaxi should solve it.

• Like x 3
  7. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Ask Dr Stupid...

I got another referral, this time from the people who supply my GoCycles, and when I first met them, three years back, they were running a Ford dealership :D

I've never tried to sell Tesla to them, but have regularly visited their place in my Model S, then Model X for annual service and a few issues with the bike. So they've seen the cars plenty and obviously piqued their interest and they started asking me about it when I visited a couple of weeks back.

They've bought a pre-Raven inventory X100D with supercharging thrown-in, so one less "in transit" and a bargain for them. Win win!

And of course all their customers that buy electric bikes (quite expensive ones too I may add) will now see this Model X, the quiet revolution will continue.

And my work colleague that I mentioned yesterday, where they sold the inventory car he wanted, he sorted out another - he said S70D, so not sure if that's CPS or not. He too, will evangelise.

• Like x 21
    • Love x 4
    • Helpful x 3
  8. Lycanthrope

The guy's a complete a-hole and has been writing FUD and complete garbage about Tesla for years now, I can't stand him.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. Pras

Pras Member

With Musk exercising the 175000 shares, he may have had to put up $5.5m just to exercise the option but almost $15m to pay for taxes. So effectively he spent $20.5 to buy 175k shares, paying ~$117 per share.

To exercise remaining 5m shares he will thus need nearly $600m in cash.

His share in the company will then grow by ~3%.

He can raise $600m by selling 2% of his stake in spacex ( but then he may have to pay income tax gains again). So i guess he will refrain from that. Hence the best course of action for him continues to take loans now and in future, if an when Tesla stock recovers, pay some of his loans back.

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Lycanthrope

Indeed, it's deceptive IMO and they don't need to do it - they could have an "indicative savings" figure somewhere else on the page, but the money you pay for the car should be the main figure.

Thankfully in Europe they were admonished for it and stopped the practice.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

I've now lost all confidence in you as a source of information.
    How do you get to:
    From your original claim:
    Or from funding SpaceX with TSLA to funding TSLA/ lifestyle with SpaceX?

Nor does your original premise hold any water. The size of colleteral must be larger than the debt (typically). However, that is a bound on the loan, not a indicator of loan size. The collateral securing my mortgage is multiples of the current mortgage (speaking of mortgages, Elon refinanced his) . Sort of like someone who got into TSLA on the ground floor before it increased at least 10x (recently) or >6x(currently). Looking at Elon's loan size based on collateral size based on the value of the stock at the high water mark vs when the line of credit was established is *sugardy sugar*.

Nor does your liquidity comment match any of his recent actions.

• Love x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. Right_Said_Fred

Right_Said_Fred Moderator

I just cleaned the mud and sludge of my Iphone and came to the conclusion that the camera discussion is way too much OT. All possible arguments have been exchanged, so discussion closed.

Mod

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  13. traxila

traxila Member

How do we know he needs to post five bill in collateral? How big is this loan that he should post five bill? Does anyone have an idea what five bill in collateral would get you in a loan?

• Like x 1
  14. JohnDinger

JohnDinger Banned

SpaceX shares aren't liquid, and the value of SpaceX isn't validated by the broader market. As an example, if he raised 500M at a 50B valuation, there's only 500M worth that supports that valuation. When you go public, the whole market supports the valuation.

I think Musk's "margin loans" are just a big, fat nothingburger. The key price of these loans are likely below $75/share.

He's probably exercising these options for tax purposes.

Options don't get capital gains, so by exercising now, he's locking in a low price for his capital gains to accumulate.

15. SPadival

SPadival Member

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  16. Pras

Pras Member

Not sure about the $5b, but given the wrong-way risk between the probability of Elon defaulting being highly correlated with Tesla stocks dropping, the bank will ask for much higher collateral. That is why it would be better if Elon could pledge spacex shares as well to get comfortable. Hopefully after starlink, he improves his position.

• Like x 1
  17. defc0n

defc0n Member

Being bought out by a public company isn’t the same as going private...

• Like x 1
  18. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

I am honestly confused as well. What inconsistency are you perceiving? I think I have always said

1) his collateral was $4.45B end of year, and it makes sense it went up towards $5B
    2) we don't know the size of the loan (his debt) that this collateral covers
    3) we don't know how much of his SpaceX worth he can use to post as collateral in lieu of TSLA shares

Maybe I am misunderstanding you here, but I don't see the sugardy *sugar*? Can you re-word?

• Disagree x 1
  19. Fact Checking

Fact Checking Active Member

Well:

Elon Musk owes $507 million to banks helping Tesla raise capital - Reuters

"Goldman Sachs Group Inc has $213 million in loans outstanding to Musk, while he owes Morgan Stanley $209 million, and another $85 million to Bank of America Corp."
    Which adds up to $507m? Was this reported incorrectly in your opinion?

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 2
  20. SPadival

SPadival Member

Also, his father Jim Grant is a close buddy of Jim Chanos. It is reasonable to speculate that Charley got his WSJ job via nepotism.

• Informative x 12
    • Love x 3
    • Like x 1