Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quotes from Tesla:

“This is completely false,” according to a WeChat response to a query from Bloomberg News Tuesday. “Tesla previously received quotes from Lishen, but did not proceed further. We have not signed any agreement of any kind with them.”

I.e. the Reuters article was complete fabrication.

In principle it could be Lishen misrepresenting facts to (momentarily) appear as a major player in the market, or no?

Reactions: neroden
In principle it could be Lishen misrepresenting facts to (momentarily) appear as a major player in the market, or no?

There's no excuse for Reuters not asking Tesla PR and rushing out a false story. Bloomberg did manage to get a proper denial from Tesla.

I believe they are trying to nullify the effect of the early ER date, which was a sign of bullish news in Q3 ...

Perhaps.

My estimate of the cost of Fred/Elon's twitter exchange leading to the $5K refunds to Model 3 P+&- buyers is about $30-$60 million ($3K per refund when free supercharging cost is backed out, roughly 10K to 20K buyers of the P +&- before the price cut on the P+).

It may well have been that Tesla & Elon raised their SuperCharging prices as much as they did to make up for the cost of that Model 3 P rebate. I'd estimate over the first year, that SC rate increase would only bring Tesla about $30 million in additional revenue (roughly 350K vehicles on avg in 2019 w/out free SuperCharging, roughly avg $80/yr increase in cost per such vehicle in the original rate increase plan). Now that's been dialed back.

Jim Chanos and Gordon Johnson ain't got nothing on Fred.

Fred is straight up a Big Baller Shot Caller.

Note that this is a 10% import tax that the Model 3 is affected by currently. (The Model S/X is being re-assembled in Europe and thus avoids this import tariff.)

With that tax going to 0% the Model 3 would be even more competitive in Europe.

Tesla could repurpose the Dutch Model S and X facility for something economically useful.

Note that today the "uptick rule" short seller restriction will still be in place for $TSLA, for the whole trading day.

But this short selling restriction might not apply to secondary markets not regulated by the SEC/FINRA, such as the European markets, so maybe the pre-market selling we are seeing now is originating from those markets. While higher volume than usual, it's still <10k shares traded so minuscule compared to regular volumes.

I'm not on the happy side of this :(

Yes, of course cheaper stuff is always great. And yes, of course it is great to listen to your customers. But Fred's screaming and complaining is becoming a nuisance. Ever since the time he bought a car he started to have too much skin in the game and used his blog to his own advantage.

In my mind Supercharger are a tool for long-distance travel. I like the idea that early buyers get a an advantage here on the network and the price adjustment was a way to also maintain value on the "free super charging for life" cars. More importantly, I think that building out the network is really important.

I get why Tesla reduced the price: they most likely want to counter the "it is cheaper to drive a Camry than to super charge" argument that started to float around. But I'm a bit disappointed we got to this point...

What is worrying that there appears to be a struggle at Tesla or lack of coordination.

There is no way that Tesla was not aware that prices they set were very close to price of gas - yet they set it as such.
I thought it was a good short term move. Expansion of SC coverage and capacity is more important, Tesla cannot compete with other chargers because it is cheap to subsidize them and higher SC cost would lower their use and incevitise owners to install own charging spots and solar.

Reactions: Drax7
Quotes from Tesla:

“This is completely false,” according to a WeChat response to a query from Bloomberg News Tuesday. “Tesla previously received quotes from Lishen, but did not proceed further. We have not signed any agreement of any kind with them.”

I.e. the Reuters article was complete fabrication.

I expect further attempts that try to push a wedge between Tesla and Panasonic - and I suspect whoever was pushing that Reuters story thought it's time to try this misleading Lishen FUD, shortly after the Toyota/Panasonic joint venture was announced...

Panasonic has been a good and reliable partner to Tesla, they stood by Tesla last summer, despite Tesla being in breech of contract (they couldn't use all the cells Panasonic made). Every indication is that Panasonic too wants to ramp up the Gigafactory to 200 GWh/year capacity in the next couple of year - which is millions of EVs per year capacity ...
The more I follow the media reports about Tesla, the more Reuters appear to print bullshit deliberately and to never correct it.

Consider this article, for instance Electric Mercedes opens German assault on Tesla | Reuters

See this line?
The market for upscale electric cars is Tesla’s to lose, with sales of its entry-level Model 3 sedan expected to reach about 50,000 cars this year and almost double that in 2019.

It was published on September 3, 2018. On July 02, 2018, Tesla had already delivered 28,386 Model 3. On August 01, 2018, Tesla published an update for Q2 stating "Expecting to produce 50-55k Model 3s in Q3; deliveries should exceed that". How could anyone expect 50K Model 3 deliveries for the entire 2018 year, while Tesla had already delivered 28K M3 in Q2 and confirmed a few days before the end of Q3, that they expected 50K additional deliveries. How is that even remotely possible to expect 50K for a year when they announce they're about to reach 78+K sales before Q4? Not only they would have to sell zero cars in Q4 but recall dozens of thousands of them.

I wrote to Reuters multiple times about this (via email and social media) and they never corrected it. Their report was being republished by dozens – if not hundreds – of mainstream media, in the printed press, on the Web, radio and TV.

And that's just for one sentence in one of their reports.

Last edited:
The more I follow the media reports about Tesla, the more Reuters appear to print bullshit deliberately and to never correct it.

Consider this article, for instance Electric Mercedes opens German assault on Tesla | Reuters

See this line?

The market for upscale electric cars is Tesla’s to lose, with sales of its entry-level Model 3 sedan expected to reach about 50,000 cars this year and almost double that in 2019.​

Also, note that it's not just the numbers that are deliberately false, it's the "The market is Tesla's to lose" argument that is fundamentally disingenuous as well: right now EV sales are maybe 2% of all car sales.

I.e. for the foreseeable future new EVs will largely cannibalize existing ICE markets, not existing EV markets.

Yet that argument is completely absent from the Reuters article.

While I don't support the "all media is against Tesla" view (which isn't true), there are important elements of the mainstream media spewing near unlimited amounts of Tesla FUD - and very much not by accident.

And I'm thinking to dump my $NVDA and rebuy $TSLA, a good MMD would suit...

I plan to do a partial conversion early, and the rest later hoping on a MMD. The early part so that even if we don't get a MMD, I'll at least have gotten something out of it :) OTM calls purchased half at $295 and half at $315 is better than all purchased at $305.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing on destination chargers. Reminds me of early internet, just the techno nerd stuff I wanted, now all ads and minutiae. Tesla could offset destination charging by providing local partners solar panels to offset use. For 20k they could probably offset the avg destination charger cost. No reason to not charge anyhow, but the cost might be much lower than supercharging.

Tesla doesn't pay for destination charger electricity, that's paid by the destination, mostly hotels. Tesla gives the equipment and I believe the install as well.