Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im glad the SP is going up...otherwise I would be forced to learn more about power curves and induction motor thingy's.

DBcUtoo.jpg

Hey guys, just got back from a trip to SF/San Jose that included a Tesla Factory Tour. Now I know I signed an NDA and all, but I will leave you guys with one tidbit:

Tesla is nowhere near full-self driving with their AutoPilot tech. They haven't even solved AutoFlush technology in their restrooms!

View attachment 453693

wow they have toilet paper, I heard something else

I do wonder if the new 3 motor S&X and the Roadster will all be built on new combined body and general assembly lines.
It seems a capital and space efficient step to make a flexible line that can be used for Tesla's 3 lower volume vehicles and could also justify acceleration of the Roadster program. I think this could also reduce the production cost and price of Roadster and increase its potential volume. Perhaps P110D+ S&X starting at around $120-130k and then Roadster base starting at $150-170k.

The 3 motor S&X design adds credibility to LikeTeslaKim's source in early June. They said Tesla was testing a tri-motor design for both standard and performance variants with just over 400 miles range for Model S and nearing 400 miles for Model X - all with much lower weight and 250kW charging.

I guess if Tesla does move to a new design, it makes sense to start with the top performance variants as they start ramping up supply. As production gets to capacity they can also replace base S&X models with the new platform, but best for Elon not to mention this part at risk of osbourning. I'm not convinced it was a good idea for Elon to mention the new Plaid variant at all so far from production but it does help maintain Tesla's overall brand and hype.

Take it for whats it worth, there was another post from someone stating the next gen S would be based on the 3 platform (which is a capable platform) sharing manufacturing efficiencies learned from the 3. A new S/X/Roadster sharing an improved and almost paid for 3 platform, cheaper to manufacture, and higher transaction prices. Since this is a "stock price" thread, I let you do the math.

Reactions: CaliBear1
I'm starting to feel a bit better about the revelation that this is a prototype of a vehicle that won't be out for a year, in one regard: hopefully this will finally tamp down rumours of an imminent refresh. Right? Hopefully...

I still think that they really need to do a lot more to show off the capabilities of S/X since the Raven upgrade, however. It's become apparent that most peoples' image of what S/X are like is still stuck in the early to mid 2010s.

ED: Never mind, people are already trying to find loopholes to convince themselves of an imminent refresh so that demand can be properly osbourned. *Sigh*....

What's wrong with us? :Þ

Last edited:
At 7:06 PDT I just happened to be watching the yahoo ticker and noticed weird behavior. TSLA had been pretty steady around the mid 247s, but suddenly flashed red with two trades at 246.xx, then instantly back up. There's only one way for that to happen, and it's for someone to write a large sell order with a low limit. So for those who don't believe in short manipulation here's evidence that you're wrong.

Take it for whats it worth, there was another post from someone stating the next gen S would be based on the 3 platform
Elon practically wrote off this possibility yesterday when he tweeted:

"Yes. To be clear, Plaid powertrain is about a year away from production & applies to S,X & Roadster, but not 3 or Y. Will cost more than our current offerings, but less than competitors."

6:54 PM - 11 Sep 2019​

If Roadster and the new S/X were based on a Model 3 platform, then Model 3/Y could receive the "Plaid powertrain". But Elon says they won't get it. Its most likely 3/Y don't have the width to house the dual motor system, and its too much expense to build a 2nd custom solution for what was always intended as the mid-range product.

Cheers!

Low RPM has excess power not just because it's the characteristic of EV motors, but because there's much less drag at lower speeds, and all power of the motor is going through the wheels which are tire grip limited. At higher RPMs there's also increasing drag, which acts through the chassis and not through the tires, plus there's also significant aero downforce, which increases effective grip.

The fact that the aero drag acts through the chassis is meaningless in this context. All torque is applied to the road through the tires whether that torque is used for acceleration, overcoming aero drag or climbing a hill. It doesn't matter how the torque is used.

But your comment on aero downforce is relevant in that the amount of lift or downforce can change the amount of available traction at different speeds.

The fact that the aero drag acts through the chassis is meaningless in this context. All torque is applied to the road through the tires whether that torque is used for acceleration, overcoming aero drag or climbing a hill. It doesn't matter how the torque is used.

But your comment on aero downforce is relevant in that the amount of lift or downforce can change the amount of available traction at different speeds.

Aero downforce (negative lift) also induces drag, via the L/D ratio.

This new 3 motor model S sounds insane. I'm assuming it will come with upgrades to handling and cooling as well. I'm still betting that GF3 production will be a big surprise upward force on SP as most don't seem to be aware. I have a buddy who is invested in Tesla and he had no idea how close they are to rolling cars out. I think people hear "new factory" and just assume that means years away.

Reactions: elasalle
The fact that the aero drag acts through the chassis is meaningless in this context.

Indeed, you are right, that was bogus - not my day ... :confused:

Note the very interesting rear spoiler on their Nürburgring prototype:

tesla-model-s-plaid-spy-photo.jpg

:D

Reactions: SpaceCash and GOVA
Hey guys, just got back from a trip to SF/San Jose that included a Tesla Factory Tour. Now I know I signed an NDA and all, but I will leave you guys with one tidbit:

Tesla is nowhere near full-self driving with their AutoPilot tech. They haven't even solved AutoFlush technology in their restrooms!

View attachment 453693

Not only that, you must have been in the executive restrooms because there are two rolls of toilet paper and we know from inside leaks that Tesla employees are required to bring their own TP to work because Tesla can't afford it for the workers.