Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon is seemingly conceding the point by not publicly putting the Raven out at Nürburging to match the Taycan Turbo S. IF the Raven could do it then it makes sense for the Raven to carry the Tesa flag for today and keep Maximum Plaid in reserve until needed. But Elon is calling up Maximum Plaid now.
So Ideally:

Raven beats regular Taycan

Plaid P100D+ beats "Turbo" Taycan

Roadster beats everything Porsche has in it's stable

Correction, we are looking to beat a porsche 919 evo hybrid with the roadster including cold gas thrusters....

Yep. As powerful as the Evo Hybrid is, it will always remain limited by the traction of its tires. It could have the entire output of the sun to harness, and still not go any faster than its tires let it.

Rockets change the equation - they free you from the traction limits of your tires. They simply are unbeatable.

(Where permitted!)

The 3-motor "Maximum Plaid" powertrain solves this problem at the root: by having a higher gearing a third motor Tesla is able to distribute power and shift up the maximum power output to a flat power curve like they did on the P90 chart, in addition to increasing maximum power as well.

Three motors can also do what 2 motors plus transmission cannot: higher efficiency regen and smart torque vectoring to help cornering performance.
I really don't think there will be 3 different gear ratios. For several reasons (torque vectoring among them) it makes sense for two of the motors to be independently driving each rear wheel. With that setup you really, really don't want different gear ratios. The front motor can have a different gear ratio, but the rear motors will have a common gear ratio. It's OK because you now have doubled the (lower) output power at the high RPMS because you have two motors. Despite what loger keeps saying, the SRPM motors still have back EMF and it still reduces the current (and thus power) at higher RPMS. However, with 3 motors, the battery is the limiting factor for the total peak power that can be delivered. At higher RPM's they don't have the voltage to drive motor current to one motor, but you can drive both motors with whatever they can take. So they are actually forced to broaden the (total wheel) power curve because they don't have sufficient battery current (in a 100kWh battery) to drive all three motors simultaneously at the motor's native peak power output point. So the software that shares this power among the motors will cause the total power curve to be very flat across a long range of speeds, including the high speeds of Nürburgring.

Raven will still be for the normal S/X cars - no point in 3 engines for those

so no refresh and no reason to wait if you want a regular Tesla S/X.

Right?

Also no point to buy a current S/X either. People mistakenly believe that they're obsolete, outclassed, can't do sustained performance, etc.

I'm not happy with Tesla giving up its production-car-halo under the excuse that some "not available for a year prototype" is great. Show people what's good about the cars they can actually buy so that they have an actual excuse to buy them.

Looks like our mystery buyer has met his match today. I'm not expecting to see a late afternoon recover, in fact we might end up down 2 to 3%. Bears and shorties showing they still have a good amount of ammo left even at the 40 million share short amount. Really looking forward to those pros and delivery numbers in 3 weeks

Naw we gonna end green today. My mom told me so.

Raven will still be for the normal S/X cars - no point in 3 engines for those
I don't necessarily agree with this. Model 3-style SRPM motors are simpler and cheaper to manufacture than the S/X's traditional AC induction motors. That's why Tesla was able to reduce the price on Raven, because a single SRPM in the front costs them less to produce than the small AC induction motor it replaces.

Now the question is, will 2 SRPMs be cheaper than 1 large AC induction motor? We likely won't ever know, but increasing scale of manufacturing for SRPMs is a massive cost reduction factor. This is enhanced because ALL these products will use SRPMs:
  • Model 3
  • Model S/X
  • Roadster 2
  • Semi
Likely the new Cyberpunk Pickup will use them too. If it does, I have little doubt that ALL future S/X's will too, not just the "Max Plaid" editions. Remember, the difference between Model 3 AWD and P models is likely a simple software limit set in the motor controllers.

Cheers!