Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know. The advertising definitely helps. But you have to weigh the publicity gained against potential S,X osborne effect.

I question how much thought went into this series of events. Elon is extremely competitive, and this appears to be a reactionary move. Yes, everybody knows something is coming, but why then did Elon downplay the upgrades earlier this year and now just let the cat out of the bag all of a sudden? It appears reactionary to me. S,X sales were improving with the Raven upgrade and Elon squashing any other *major* upgrade rumors. Now a 180? I don't buy that it was a thought out plan. My biggest worry as a shareholder is that the high margin S,X sales will once again suffer for another year. I'm happy to be proven wrong. We will see.

I think the buzz is fantastic. Having Porsche as a competitor validates Tesla, and keeping the Taycan and S in the news puts the light on the company's products. The media abhors a vacuum, so this is better than publishing FUD when there's no other news.

The perceived grudge match between Porsche and Tesla draws the kind of press that Tesla needs. All news is good news when a product is being compared to another that's 2x more.

As for delaying purchases, an S+ might make me reconsider the R2. Someone thinking of buying the MSP might wait, but not that many if there's a $20k bump in price. I don't see this affecting X sales.

I think the extra publicity is well worth it, whether it was planned or opportunistic.

Edmunds is apparently run by children.

Edmunds on Twitter

View attachment 453831
Maybe they are afraid to lose their business too?

Which car is the best? Tesla.

Do you need Edmunds to tell you that out of all the options out there?

But they are a definite FUDster lately, feeling uncomfortable that I read some stuff on their site in the past.

Edmunds on Twitter

View attachment 453831
Dang, scrolling down their twitter page is some massive levels of butt hurt. Their anti-Tesla trolling and jabs is on the level of a Bolt forum. I would not want to sit in that Taycan after they get out.
And they do it unashamedly, no F's given. Let's try Credibility for $1 Alex.

Edmunds on Twitter

View attachment 453831

(Seriously, the comments are hilarious ;) )

What exactly is their problem here? I can only think they're going to be made to look stupid with all the Tesla bashing they've done.

I don't know why we've all become obsessed with track performance all of a sudden. I bet less than 0.2% of Tesla owners ever take their car on track.

I'm not, but the publicity generated by this is pure gold.

True, but this is a much bigger upgrade. You can say that it is THE upgrade everyone has been waiting for, and now it's official.

Not it's not. It's THE upgrade that a handful of people want to go on the track, and a few hundreds of others, maybe a few thousands will buy anyway because it's the most expensive and looks badass.

The vast majority think it's cool, are maybe impressed, but aren't remotely interested to buy it - standard P100D is already too fast for public roads, let's be serious.

The vast majority think it's cool, are maybe impressed, but aren't remotely interested to buy it - standard P100D is already too fast for public roads, let's be serious.

Exactly - that's precisely what the halo effect is. People want a car that theoretically "could" do amazing things, even if they never will. And if they can't afford a car that can do amazing things, they at least want one of its cheaper close relatives.

Do writers do this stuff intentionally?

"Tesla that its cars can run longer than anything out there (325 miles for the long-range Model X and 310 miles for the long-range Model S, while the competition is yet to touch 300 miles)"

A 1 minute check on Tesla's website would show the correct range is 370 miles. I think they just don't want anyone knowing that Tesla is getting close to 400 miles on a charge while others have hardly passed 250.

Has Tesla met its Match

I don't know. The advertising definitely helps. But you have to weigh the publicity gained against potential S,X osborne effect.

I question how much thought went into this series of events. Elon is extremely competitive, and this appears to be a reactionary move. Yes, everybody knows something is coming, but why then did Elon downplay the upgrades earlier this year and now just let the cat out of the bag all of a sudden? It appears reactionary to me. S,X sales were improving with the Raven upgrade and Elon squashing any other major upgrade rumors.* Now a 180? I don't buy that it was a thought out plan. My biggest worry as a shareholder is that the high margin S,X sales will once again suffer for another year. I'm happy to be proven wrong. We will see.

*Edit (from the most recent earnings call):

"Toni Sacconaghi

Okay. Thank you for that. If I could just follow-up. Elon, I'm wondering, if you can comment on whether you believe Model 3 is having any cannibalization impact on S and X sales or why you think that – or why else there might be sort of a structural step down in the demand and delivery levels relative to what we’ve seen over the last five or six years?

Elon Musk

Actually, we're just talking about this earlier today. We're not quite sure ourselves. I think there's some cannibalization, maybe false expectation in the market that there's like some big overhaul coming for S and X, which would then cause people to hesitate to buy, if they think there's some like radical redesign coming, which is why I've stated publicly that this is not the case."

I think this is a calculated strategy directly aimed at limiting the current osborne impact Tesla is already suffering from.
When Elon says there is no major refresh for S&X in the pipeline, people simply do not believe him. Partly because there is always an upgrade in the pipeline at Tesla, and partly because there have been so many leaks of further changes.
Many people may believe the base Model S&X is on the verge of another imminent upgrade. Now Elon is telling them there is an upgrade, but it is one year away, and even then it will only be for people that can spend $120-130k+. This is at least more credible than the previous no upgrade pitch and may cause some people to stop waiting, particularly if they can't afford the Plaid model. I agree Tesla is not likely to change the powertrain, interior and chassis just for a niche track package, and eventually most updates will be rolled out across the whole S&X lineup - but not everyone will realise this and if it does come, at least people may now think it is too far away to wait for.

Do writers do this stuff intentionally?

"Tesla that its cars can run longer than anything out there (325 miles for the long-range Model X and 310 miles for the long-range Model S, while the competition is yet to touch 300 miles)"

A 1 minute check on Tesla's website would show the correct range is 370 miles. I think they just don't want anyone knowing that Tesla is getting close to 400 miles on a charge while others have hardly passed 250.

Has Tesla met its Match

The usual refrain is that people make mistakes, but somehow these types of mistakes always happen in a direction that makes Tesla look worse than they are.

The usual refrain is that people make mistakes, but somehow these types of mistakes always happen in a direction that makes Tesla look worse than they are.

To be fair, Tesla keeps improving their specs. Any information except the most recent will always underspec a Tesla. In a forum full of Tesla fanatics, some probably didn't know much about Raven.

Now to practice saying, "Forum full of Tesla fanatics" five times fast.

Reactions: capster
Last edited:
To be fair, Tesla keeps improving their specs. Any information except the most recent will always underspec a Tesla. In a forum full of Tesla fanatics, some probably didn't know much about Raven.

Now to practice saying, "Forum full of Tesla fanatics" five times fast.
Journalists have one job, to get their facts straight. ;)