Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For over sixty years I have been puzzled by epistemology. Knowing what is knowable is fundamental to understanding the nature of reality, most pointedly in investing. That is at the base of Elon's prejudice for physics first principles. Also it is quite clear I reject the feeling here that metaphor is not a good way to make arguments. My reasoning that language itself, our best organ of perception, is a metaphor for reality.

(Perhaps a weak argument for the mods to back off because the next is clearly off topic but intended to make some points about the worth of academic studies in general.)

Five Reasons the Diet Soda Myth Won’t Die

Aside from the confusion between correlation and causation, well understood on these pages, the article makes some important points of caution about the social environments for academic researchers. Example, the recent Nobel in economics and paucity of female winners.

An advice.

Also another pet peeve: my doctor says "scientifically proven." Proof is possible only in logic, it's branch in mathematics, or religious argument. Given the fundamentals of quantum mechanics we seem to live in a real world of probabilities only.

So much for today's ponderous and sumptuous pounding of water in a mortar.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Further on Technicals, the SP just touched the 200-Day Moving Average (blue line in chart below) a.k.a the MA(200), for the 1st time since Feb 28, 2019. Then, the MA(200) was about $316. Today the MS(200) Is at $255.97 while the intraday high so far was $256.22

sc.TSLA.Q1-4-chart.2019-10-14.11-16.png

Hopefully, this represents a turning point for the doldrums that has been the SP so far this year, and we build some momentum going into a solid earnings report next week.

GLTA, and Cheers!

Last edited:
(WOT) I am really tired of having posts moved and being threatened with being banned. I believe I provide many posts that people here find informative. My posts do not cross the line in terms of threats/belittling other members/profanity.

if you feel the need to move a post, just move it. Threats of banning are not needed. Tired of the threats.....

<rant over>

Agreed. I don't recall having written a single post on the Topic-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named after said topic was prohibited (had written several posts before it), and still got the same sweeping delete-and-ban-threat.

There was one single mild complaint, after a long discussion, and the topic died down a lot after said single mild complaint. Let's not overreact. And it's not like it's not an important, widely disputed topic.

Lastly: do the shorts even know that the market is open today??? ;)

I can't wait for the shorts telling everyone again how there is no demand, while simultaneously claiming that production is lagging.

I noticed that the TeslaCharts twitter account tried to get Elon to respond to the HK situation. Getting Tesla on the bad side of China would be a great benefit to them at this point. The attempt was more than transparent. But so far their tactic has not paid off.

Craig Johnson is a managing director and chief technical research analyst at Piper Jaffray. He was one of my regular guests on my Chicago based TV financial news show. Even though I am long retired, he continues to email me complimentary copies of his weekly newsletter.

On 2013 JAN 28 one of his technical recommendations was TSLA. I had not heard of it or its cars, but then thoroughly researched Tesla Motors and Elon Musk, before loading up on more of the stock each day that week. I suspected I may have found my long sought ten-bagger.

Until today, I can only recall one other time that Craig recommended TSLA. But he is doing so again this morning due to what he reads as its positive chart. :cool:

Last edited:
I can't wait for the shorts telling everyone again how there is no demand, while simultaneously claiming that production is lagging.

I noticed that the TeslaCharts twitter account tried to get Elon to respond to the HK situation. Getting Tesla on the bad side of China would be a great benefit to them at this point. The attempt was more than transparent. But so far their tactic has not paid off.

Again, the unsworth playbook. Elon's weakness is the desire to help. Glad that this has been shut off.

To: Boss Short

If I do not hear from you in the next thirty minutes, I will close my short position!

Sincerely
Chief Editor
Shortsville Times

It's now been over 30 minutes. I am closing my short position.

Your plan to kill Tesla and open a citrus farm in Canada is looney.
You will never grow oranges in Canada.

Chief Editor
Shortsville Times

Gentle reminder for our collective memories... So this is the car that was to be priced... you know what, let me quote:

“We’re expecting a price somewhere between a Cayenne and a Panamera,” said Robert Meier, the complete vehicle model line director for the Taycan.

Cayenne starting price: $66.800
Panamera Starting price: $87.200
Taycan Starting price: $103.800

Once again, I know this will be a successful car and that success is very good for EVs in general.. but I am appalled by the level of marketing-dishonesty employed by traditional car makers. The Taycan was touted for years as having 350kW Tesla-killer charging with performance, range and price matching the Model S.

In reality the car did not deliver on the charging specs, costs 20%-90% more than the Model S, range is still TBD, but is likely a miss as well and at best we can give it a "draw" on performance.

Cue the Porsche bashing headlines in automotive and financial media... not.

"4S" isn't the Porsche base trim.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
That was my first thought as well: the only reason Porsche would release the 4S price is if they are not happy with the size of the Taycan Turbo/Turbo S order book ...

The 4S will cannibalize a lot of the Turbo/Turbo S sales - just like the SR+ cannibalized LR/AWD configurations for months. The moment when they'd open up 4S orders is roughly 2-3 months before they are running out of the Turbo/Turbo S orders, not a minute sooner - to pressure all customers that want a Taycan to buy the higher trim.

Which would suggest, if their production is 20,000 units/year, that Porsche probably sold less than 10,000 Taycan Turbo/Turbo S units so far.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/02/porsche-taycan-increase-production-high-demand/

• Informative
Reactions: Skryll
I began trimming my trading shares since 240 and until last week I have unloaded 75% of my trading shares.

Now I am feeling anxious about today's price. I guess this trading thing is not for me.

Wondering how the shorts feel about this.

I wouldn’t worry much. Not impossible, but unlikely to have a surprise like 3Q2018 ER. This will likely come back down as it had in the past 3 quarters after a run up to the call.