Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the brightside, everyone and their mom has been waiting on this pullback and its been long overdue. I could definitely see a 5%+ drop in the NASDAQ today to complete the 10% or more drop.

But once it's done, the market can start moving forward again and luckily for Tesla, they have multiple catalysts to quickly get the stock back above 500 in the matter of weeks or even days. Most other companies don't have those sorts of short term catalysts

Forgive my amateur question but how do all the stocks on my watch list magically stop dropping at the same time...?

94D98BB9-5D1C-4B9E-A781-B45CC107CA3E.png

I love whenever there's sell off in tesla, people keep posting lower "i set my buy order XX price". Hope you guys get lucky but like many, many times in the past, lots of people missed out because the stock reversed hard before ever coming close to filling their order.

Nasdaq just completed its 10% drop over the 2 day span and is already recovering a bit. Tesla continues to show decent strength relative to the NASDAQ

Logic does not apply to the stock market. Trying to understand it is as hard as landing a rocket on a barge, it requires a unique set of talents which we lack.

I think your example implies that market behavior could be mapped and understood in a similar manner that the physics behind landing a rocket can be. My investing performance (in terms of choosing when to enter or exit a position) increased greatly once I came to the conclusion the market is not predictable in a consistent manner, like that of a rocket landing. It has periods of chaos and is best thought of in terms of chaos theory. It lends itself to mentally surrendering to it and thinking of it in terms of unpredictable rhythms (I know that doesn't make sense, that's the point here).

How to "surrender" to it? Stop trying to rationalize it's behavior and realize it is a wild, unpredictable beast. This is not to say one cannot improve their performance. It's simply saying that performance improves when one stops trying to make rational sense of it and, instead, goes with the rhythm of the market. I believe that even if you are really good at doing that, it still is unpredictable at key times.

The longer the planned term of your investment, the less this matters.