Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually where there’s smoke there’s fire. I wouldn’t be surprised if we learn about a Tesla/VW partnership at some point in the future. This is just starting to be too much at this point. They’ve been talking each other up for months and now this “secret” meeting. I don’t see Elon ever talking to or about any other auto execs. This is very interesting. We’ll see what plays out.

Agree. Elon's tweet from July comes to mind:
Elon Musk
@elonmusk

·
Jul 28

Replying to
@Teslarati
Tesla is open to licensing software and supplying powertrains & batteries. We’re just trying to accelerate sustainable energy, not crush competitors!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1288265150928125952?s=20

Who knows... Maybe it was a battery sales meeting, or exploring technology sharing as in Tesla Patents or charging infrastructure?

Sounds crazy when you think of competition in the usual sense, but not so much when the mission is to build more EVs and it doesn't matter who does it. This type of strategy probably doesn't bode well on Wall Street, but I'm good with it. The key is that it has to be competitive or some will drop out which is not the best possible outcome. Tesla is too far ahead to make it fair in all markets. Helping VW could serve useful. And the synergy even helps the BEV industry as a whole to give folks some better choices.

I so would love to see Tesla buy VW. (wishful thinking)

Elon: "Here's a check."
Diess: "Great, looks like you're the new boss."
Elon: "Awesome. Let's get cracking. How soon can we phase out that ICE crap?"

Awesome fire sale today. Couldn't resist jumping in at $379. This temporary crash/correction produces a climate of fear, but it is an excellent rare opportunity to pick up this quality stock for a bargain.

"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful." - Warren Buffett, The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America

Usually where there’s smoke there’s fire. I wouldn’t be surprised if we learn about a Tesla/VW partnership at some point in the future. This is just starting to be too much at this point. They’ve been talking each other up for months and now this “secret” meeting. I don’t see Elon ever talking to or about any other auto execs. This is very interesting. We’ll see what plays out.
I’m pretty sure this was Herbert Diess in person interview to work for Tesla.

I so would love to see Tesla buy VW. (wishful thinking)

Elon: "Here's a check."
Diess: "Great, looks like you're the new boss."
Elon: "Awesome. Let's get cracking. How soon can we phase out that ICE crap?"

I would not actually. Lining the pockets of the owners of the company behind emission scandals?

Besides that - VW is IMHO the best of the fossil car makers in transition to EVs.

If the goal is to maximize the number of EVs produced it would make more sense to accelerate one of the laggards. Perhaps one of the fossil OEMs from Japan?

If the goal is to maximize the number of EVs produced it would make more sense to accelerate one of the laggards. Perhaps one of the fossil OEMs from Japan?
Since the goal is to accelerate the transition, I think the relevant consideration is that Tesla can build new and better far faster than it can fix old and broken.

Sounds crazy when you think of competition in the usual sense, but not so much when the mission is to build more EVs and it doesn't matter who does it. This type of strategy probably doesn't bode well on Wall Street, but I'm good with it. The key is that it has to be competitive or some will drop out which is not the best possible outcome. Tesla is too far ahead to make it fair in all markets. Helping VW could serve useful. And the synergy even helps the BEV industry as a whole to give folks some better choices.

Absolutely! It could be as simple as Elon conscripting Deiss to talk to a key raw material supplier/miner/refiner or three and convince them to put investments in high gear for the coming onslaught of EV's! Elon knows miners might take it more seriously coming from a huge conglomerate like VW than himself.

Musk is a guy that makes things happen because he knows how to see the future in ways others can't and that allows him to pull a few strings early in the game to allow incredible things to happen down the road. We have seen this time and time again which is why I don't consider TSLA over-valued, even at $500/share. Nobody can predict how the market will value such things but this is a primary reason why I'm confident enough in TSLA to have it comprise half of my account.

I wonder how well an electric VW beetle w/ Tesla powertrain / chemistry would sell?
But how would it do in the wind tunnel I wonder? It's like that cute retro bus - an air pusher. Eventually we'll see stuff like that, but the race is still on for range and so shape is everything unless you're city driving only. When range anxiety goes away, there will be some electrons to waste for a very cool driver. That might happen Sept 22nd, but still a bit early... we'll see.

Speaking of Battery Day - What's the attire (not going to Fremont, so just for around town here). Tabless Hats? Tesla Bunnies? Clothing that lights up? I could hang out at Guitar Center and hand out free 2032 batteries and let them all know about it. There must be some cool way we all know it's happening. Maybe a pin that lights up. Ideas? This is bigger than the US Elections! (Just kidding).

You are talking about checks as in checkbooks? Like I vaguely remember using back in the 1990s before it was forgotten? Why on earth would someone use those these days? o_O

I think the USA is still very cheque-oriented. I heard many people still send a monthly mortgage cheque (is that true?). Last time I used a cheque, I had to dig out the chequebook from storage and manually cross out the 19 with 20 to get the right century. This was to pay a solicitor. They had no idea how to accept an electronic payment. Same solicitor, a few years later could accept electronic payments.

I have no idea if I even have a chequebook. I shall inquire of the postal pigeon after I return by horse carriage from arranging a Christmas turkey for Bob Cratchit and his adorable family.