Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But how would it do in the wind tunnel I wonder? It's like that cute retro bus - an air pusher. Eventually we'll see stuff like that, but the race is still on for range and so shape is everything unless you're city driving only. When range anxiety goes away, there will be some electrons to waste for a very cool driver. That might happen Sept 22nd, but still a bit early... we'll see.

I thought that too, then the Cybertruck happened. And Rivian. I suspect if the vehicle is big enough they can get it the range (retro bus). But yeah the beetle is pretty weird shaped and may not have the battery space.

I would not actually. Lining the pockets of the owners of the company behind emission scandals?

Besides that - VW is IMHO the best of the fossil car makers in transition to EVs.

If the goal is to maximize the number of EVs produced it would make more sense to accelerate one of the laggards. Perhaps one of the fossil OEMs from Japan?

It was, mainly, a joke.

But if we are going to be serious, I still would love them to buy up VW. TSLA market cap is big enough that they could do it, and they have a corporate environment that is at least semi-receptive to electrification.

Oh, and VW has some very nice factories spread around the world that I'm sure Tesla could retrofit nicely.

Not saying it's the BEST use of capital, but if we are putting our wish list out there, Tesla gobbling up a traditional automaker is on my list. It certainly would get the attention of the traditional automakers and the nay-sayers on Wall ST.

Usually where there’s smoke there’s fire. I wouldn’t be surprised if we learn about a Tesla/VW partnership at some point in the future. This is just starting to be too much at this point. They’ve been talking each other up for months and now this “secret” meeting. I don’t see Elon ever talking to or about any other auto execs. This is very interesting. We’ll see what plays out.

Both announced again and again that they talk regularly and that's quite common in certain industries. Both respect each other and Elon has an interest that other large incumbents make the shift and VW is one of them.

Diess may use the opportunity to check on business opportuntities like purchasing the Tesla drive train or batteries but I doubt that Elon is interested. One day we may see other brands with a 'Tesla Inside' batch at the back but as long as Tesla is supply-constrained I don' see that happen. There is nothing Tesla can gain right now with any sort of partnership with VW.

Elon did express in an interview lately that he does not know where the incumbents are in terms of BEVs and he will have a much better understanding now after he has driven the ID.3. Until we heard that teams from both companies meet in confidence I doubt that this is anything else like a normal let's catch up session.

Awesome fire sale today. Couldn't resist jumping in at $379. This temporary crash/correction produces a climate of fear, but it is an excellent rare opportunity to pick up this quality stock for a bargain.

"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful." - Warren Buffett, The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America

Indeed. I bought my first shares since the split today at $379. Just couldn't resist and so far I'm happy with picking those up at that price.

Both announced again and again that they talk regularly and that's quite common in certain industries. Both respect each other and Elon has an interest that other large incumbents make the shift and VW is one of them.

Diess may use the opportunity to check on business opportuntities like purchasing the Tesla drive train or batteries but I doubt that Elon is interested. One day we may see other brands with a 'Tesla Inside' batch at the back but as long as Tesla is supply-constrained I don' see that happen. There is nothing Tesla can gain right now with any sort of partnership with VW.

Elon did express in an interview lately that he does not know where the incumbents are in terms of BEVs and he will have a much better understanding now after he has driven the ID.3. Until we heard that teams from both companies meet in confidence I doubt that this is anything else like a normal let's catch up session.

I don’t know how you can say that you doubt Elon is interested in partnerships. He literally tweeted it out just a couple of weeks ago. Are you suggesting he was lying? Also, how often do auto execs get together to test drive each other’s cars? It just seems strange.

Reactions: capster
It was, mainly, a joke.

But if we are going to be serious, I still would love them to buy up VW. TSLA market cap is big enough that they could do it, and they have a corporate environment that is at least semi-receptive to electrification.

Oh, and VW has some very nice factories spread around the world that I'm sure Tesla could retrofit nicely.

Not saying it's the BEST use of capital, but if we are putting our wish list out there, Tesla gobbling up a traditional automaker is on my list. It certainly would get the attention of the traditional automakers and the nay-sayers on Wall ST.

About the factory retrofit, I politely but strongly disagree. Tesla is the Master in building a manufacturing side fast and according to their needs. To retrofit takes, longer is more complex and more costly, and even than they may not achieve what they want.

Let's remember that Gigas are a product of Tesla and the density and productivity they are trying to achieve is not possible with a retrofit unless you pay more and invest more time versus a greenfield approach.

upload_2020-9-4_9-34-45.png

@wipster must have went back to sleep :) :) :) or someone went to the doctor

It was, mainly, a joke.

Bad idea ... with the purchase of VW would come the innovators dilemma monkey which Tesla does not have ...

edit : i see now it was only a joke nevermind