Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering that Tesla recently:
  • licenced to sell electricty in western Europe (EPEX spot power exchange)
  • sent out a survey in Germany about switching Energy Suppliers:
    • supply contract linked to owning of a rooftop solar system
    • Tesla Powerwall home storage device with Tesla software (Autobidder?)
    • package to include:
      • home energy storage
      • solar panels
      • Tesla Wall Connector EV charger
      • access to a public EV charging network
      • electricity derived from renewable energy sources
This weekend we learned that certain v3 SuperChargers in Germany are allowing 3rd Party EVs (those with CCS2 connectors) to charge at those Tesla stations.

I think Tesla is about to offer an new energy bundle to customers in Germany.

This is HUGE. The TAM is just Western Europe!

Cheers!
This service is already available in the UK with Tesla working with Octopus (I think there were details in some previous posts by other members). I hope there is more information on Tesla's strategy in this area at either Battery Day or the Q3 ER as I agree that it appears to be a huge opportunity and potential grid benefit. :)

Looks like GF1 is supplying Austin for the Semi, at least initially...

Austin will definitely make cells for Cybertruck, probably Model 3+Y, and eventually the Semi..

IMO this is simply getting Semi production rolling as quickly as possible.... strong hunch this will be the first product produced by Austi, al signs seem to indicate that.
That's probably fine for low volume testing, but even moderate volume production of the Semi would quickly eat into cell production from GF1.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
EU about to announce stricter emission, etc:

Sorry it's a Bloomberg link: New EU Climate Plan Brings End of the Combustion Engine Closer

New EU Climate Plan Brings End of the Combustion Engine Closer

14 September 2020, 08:53 CEST
  • European Commission to propose stricter 2030 emissions-cut
  • EU Green Deal is poised to become engine of economic recovery

This weekend we learned that certain v3 SuperChargers in Germany are allowing 3rd Party EVs (those with CCS2 connectors) to charge at those Tesla stations.

I think Tesla is about to offer an new energy bundle to customers in Germany.

Could be. But I think it's a tough one. The supercharger network is very good marketing for Tesla. I know people buying Teslas to be able to use it after experiencing charging hell on other chargers. Waiting in line for hours to be able to charge and plug/unplug/plug etc to make the charging work fiddling with apps and rfid-dongles.

So why buy a Tesla if my e-Golf can charge on superchargers? (Yes *I* know why!) Owners of other EV's would be eager to use superchargers. But if slow charging Golfs clog up the superchargers and create slow moving queues for all then Tesla has lost one of their great marketing channels.

Edit: There are technical challenges too. One of the reasons making superchargers so fantastic is that we just plug in. The charger know who is charging and where to send the bill. This is because our Teslas sends an unique ID to the charger. Other EVs lack this. Which is part of the reason why using other chargers is so cumbersome with apps, rfid-dongles and expensive to run payment stations.

Last edited:
Yes they do if they include TSLA, no??

Cathie Wood has commented specifically that ARK Invest scenarios DO NOT include Tesla Energy because the other Analysts on Wall St. aren't including T.E.

ARK want's their SP targets to be directly comparible to other Wall St. estimates on an apples-to-apples basis (no easy-weasel route out when other firms are proven wrong).

This is NOT to say that ARK Invest thinks that T.E. is without value: it's to say in 5 yrs time ARK wants to show up the other Wall St. meringues for what they are. That's how they sell their ETF products, by demonstrating better insight. ;)

Cheers!

Edit: There are technical challenges too. One of the reasons making superchargers so fantastic is that we just plug in. The charger know who is charging and where to send the bill. This is because our Teslas sends an unique ID to the charger. Other EVs lack this. Which is part of the reason why using other chargers is so cumbersome with apps, rfid-dongles and expensive to run payment stations.
That's... not as insurmountable as it seems.

First, Teslas don't, to my knowledge, send any ID to the charger. They just have a flag telling the charger whether they're authorized to charge, and the car then communicates the billing info for that charge session back to the mothership. (This is actually really insecure...)

Second, CCS does support the vehicle sending a unique ID to the charger, the VIN, and some charging networks actually use this to provide plug-and-charge, and I think all CCS vehicles support this. (A different, and potentially worse, potential security vulnerability exists here, as VIN spoofing may be possible.)

Third, CCS also has a (probably actually secure, but also incredibly over-engineered) mechanism using asymmetric cryptography and TLS (that is, the same tech used for HTTPS). Not all CCS vehicles support this, though.

Of course, both CCS authentication methods mean that a Tesla Supercharger install would need a data connection to the mothership that it isn't required to have to bill non-Teslas (because of the car's connection to the mothership being used instead).

Tesla investors should be watching for M&A for S&P inclusion

"
The index committee aims to pick the companies that best represent their industries, while keeping the weighting of the sector in check against the others, which include information technology, health care, and financials, so the index's performance matches that of the overall market, one source said.

Mergers among companies in the index give committee members - the names of whom S&P does not make public - additional opportunities to readjust weightings based on the ever-changing dynamic of the market."

----

"
At any moment there are 25 to 50 companies that technically qualify to be in the index, but are not in, and a handful of those are companies the committee agrees are acceptable candidates when discussed in its monthly meetings, one source said.

With a big name like Tesla, it is tempting to look for a big exit from the index, the person said, adding that the committee tracks announced mergers, which are opportunities to make unscheduled additions.
"

That's... not as insurmountable as it seems.

First, Teslas don't, to my knowledge, send any ID to the charger. They just have a flag telling the charger whether they're authorized to charge, and the car then communicates the billing info for that charge session back to the mothership. (This is actually really insecure...)

Second, CCS does support the vehicle sending a unique ID to the charger, the VIN, and some charging networks actually use this to provide plug-and-charge, and I think all CCS vehicles support this. (A different, and potentially worse, potential security vulnerability exists here, as VIN spoofing may be possible.)

Third, CCS also has a (probably actually secure, but also incredibly over-engineered) mechanism using asymmetric cryptography and TLS (that is, the same tech used for HTTPS). Not all CCS vehicles support this, though.

Of course, both CCS authentication methods mean that a Tesla Supercharger install would need a data connection to the mothership that it isn't required to have to bill non-Teslas (because of the car's connection to the mothership being used instead).

I belive most cars don't implement the CCS ID system since it's not being used on chargers in Europe.

I agree that it's not impossible to solve. And Tesla have excellent engineers. But it will cost time and money.

The big issue though in my view is why risk reducing the excellent Supercharging Marketing effect? I still believe a configuration error in Germany might be all this is. But then my brain don't work like Elon's brain at all so what do I know?

Last edited:
Tesla investors should be watching for M&A for S&P inclusion

"The index committee aims to pick the companies that best represent their industries, while keeping the weighting of the sector in check against the others, which include information technology, health care, and financials, so the index's performance matches that of the overall market, one source said.

"Mergers among companies in the index give committee members - the names of whom S&P does not make public - additional opportunities to readjust weightings based on the ever-changing dynamic of the market.

"At any moment there are 25 to 50 companies that technically qualify to be in the index, but are not in, and a handful of those are companies the committee agrees are acceptable candidates when discussed in its monthly meetings, one source said.

"With a big name like Tesla, it is tempting to look for a big exit from the index, the person said, adding that the committee tracks announced mergers, which are opportunities to make unscheduled additions."
"

LOL, damn. I thought this article was going to end with Tesla making an itsy-bitsy purchase of ETSY. :p

Cheers!

Battery day location confirmed.

tsla-defa14a_20200922.htm

grtg3q20j1fn000001.jpg

Our very own @avoigt has made a video of Tesla's presentation to the Brandenburg Parliament

It's my most watched video ever already after just 6 online days :D and has been fun to record.

My next video will be about the reactions and statements from all party fractions after the presentation from Tesla in the Brandenburg Parliament. That's even more interesting I believe as it allows a glance behind the political curtain in Germany and how they see Giga Berlin.

If you don't want to miss it, subscribe

Sell the dog ICE car. I really don't understand having to suddenly take a trip with no time for Supercharging. But if it will ease her mind, show her how many days the money you spend on insurance, oil and batteries could cover car rentals for those mythical "no time for Supercharging" trips you will need to take.

Is she prepping for the zombie apocalypse? o_O

I guess rental cars are not the thing in the US ;)?!

Hoping over here that battery day announcements give a good reason to replace the minivan with an X for the "family car" (family of 6). But since we have additional family in the area, the minivan is paid, it's old and comes pre-beat-up so minor additional damage isn't really a concern, and it has a gigantic cargo area... It's not clear that it will be traded in as opposed to live a long and boring life visiting Ikea every couple months or whatever. Minivans aren't that cheap to rent.

Though, hopefully it would be worth enough as a trade-in to make the rental argument compelling.

Truly, hopefully there will be a significant enough announcement on the non-Plaid Model X to make this discussion worth having at all. :)

Reactions: smorgasbord
Read the whole twitter thread - carsonight expects GF1 seeding GF Austin before cells are produced locally, just like it did for Shanghai.
Doesn’t make sense. No Austin cars for 7-8 months. Either for more Fremont cars or Semi or to send to Shanghai for the new Y production. Shanghai has likely been battery constrained. Since LFP batteries added production appears to have jumped on the 3 line. If they are adding 1000 weekly Y’s soon and much more heading into 2021, they’ll need a lot more batteries for Performance Model Y.

Battery day location confirmed.

tsla-defa14a_20200922.htm

grtg3q20j1fn000001.jpg

It's going to be a long night for us Europeans. The Annual Meeting of Stockholders starts at 1:30 PT, which is 10.30 PM CET (and an hour earlier for the Brits). If the meeting takes 1,5 hours then Battery Day itself will only start at midnight. Elon time :rolleyes:

Good thing I'm off the next day :D

I belive most cars don't implement the CCS ID system since it's not being used on chargers in Europe.

I agree that it's not impossible to solve. And Tesla have excellent engineers. But it will cost time and money.

The big issue though in my view is why risk reducing the excellent Supercharging Marketing effect? I still believe a configuration error in Germany might be all this is. But then my brain don't work like Elon's brain at all so what do I know?

So who figured this out? I'm kind of having a hard time believing it was by accident. Like "hey I just bought an Id.3., lets go to a Tesla supercharger to see if it charges?"
Kind of hard to believe. Was there any rumor beforehand?

It's going to be a long night for us Europeans. The Annual Meeting of Stockholders starts at 1:30 PT, which is 10.30 PM CET (and an hour earlier for the Brits). If the meeting takes 1,5 hours then Battery Day itself will only start at midnight. Elon time :rolleyes:

Good thing I'm off the next day :D

I'll be having a few beers and making a night of it :)

So who figured this out? I'm kind of having a hard time believing it was by accident. Like "hey I just bought an Id.3., lets go to a Tesla supercharger to see if it charges?"
Kind of hard to believe. Was there any rumor beforehand?

I don't know. But I have seen other EVs trying their luck on Superchargers before.

• Funny
Reactions: MikkoJ and Runarbt