Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cathie Wood has commented specifically that ARK Invest scenarios DO NOT include Tesla Energy because the other Analysts on Wall St. aren't including T.E.

ARK want's their SP targets to be directly comparible to other Wall St. estimates on an apples-to-apples basis (no easy-weasel route out when other firms are proven wrong).

This is NOT to say that ARK Invest thinks that T.E. is without value: it's to say in 5 yrs time ARK wants to show up the other Wall St. meringues for what they are. That's how they sell their ETF products, by demonstrating better insight. ;)

Cheers!
I wasn't aware Tesla Energy branched off from TSLA.

I don’t favor charging more or even the same amount as ionity at all. The goal is to accelerate the transition. I did the math. With the Ionity rate, the cost per distance travelled is higher than gas! And with gas we have the advantage that the money collected is mostly taxes (which we don’t have to pay in another manner, which will be necessary if Ionity is used). No, put the pressure on Ionity, make Tesla look good and charge less. Would improve the profitability (or reduce its loss) of the Supercharger.

On reflection, I agree. For me the mission is first priority, Tesla profit a close second (because it affects family investments). If Tesla Superchargers are supported by owners of other EVs, that will encourage more locations for Tesla and faster EV adoption. Ionity and others do need to be put under some competition, but I really want the ICE age to end. I want every petrol station to stop selling fuel and for pollution to be reduced especially in urban environments but also for climate change, rogue state, corruption and war reasons.

So who figured this out? I'm kind of having a hard time believing it was by accident. Like "hey I just bought an Id.3., lets go to a Tesla supercharger to see if it charges?"
Kind of hard to believe. Was there any rumor beforehand?
There was a report in the UK on Sept 1st of some Hyundai or Kia successfully plugging into a supercharger.
Non Tesla on a supercharger?
Funny that the poster wasn't believed until last week...

It's going to be a long night for us Europeans. The Annual Meeting of Stockholders starts at 1:30 PT, which is 10.30 PM CET (and an hour earlier for the Brits). If the meeting takes 1,5 hours then Battery Day itself will only start at midnight. Elon time :rolleyes:

Good thing I'm off the next day :D
Night and next day cleared in the agenda!

Battery day location confirmed.

tsla-defa14a_20200922.htm

grtg3q20j1fn000001.jpg

So this means us non-invited people get to go there and press our faces against the fence line like orphans looking into the window on Christmas day?

So this means us non-invited people get to go there and press our faces against the fence line like orphans looking into the window on Christmas day?
I have a crazy busy few days from the 22nd to 24th. Maybe good luck if I miss the call.
Big ticket for me is pack cost under $100, either now or mapped into 2021 products. I think they may have that on the LFP batteries now. Increased density on high end battery option for Roadster and Plaid performance. This could be a custom chemistry or process that won't be available for the 3Y soon or ever, but will provide higher energy than possible, commercially, today.
I hope they have a product using the new Road Runner batteries. This is likely to be a smaller run car than 3Y. Can they be building enough for general Model S&X or just Plaid SX and have standard SX still run on Panasonic batteries from Japan? Will early Semi run on Road Runner batteries, or are these just for performance cars? The 5% added performance line in Nevada could be for early Semi production that may need a small boost to meet or beat spec guidance?
1 million miles, what's the harm? Resale value for leases is a win. Range over 500 and 600 miles won't matter anymore, not many people drive 10 hours at a stretch, without any bio breaks. I think breaking 500 on your signature car is a big deal, even if not a really practical issue.

It seems self-evident that battery life matters, especially for resale buyers.

If that were true then Teslas wouldn't have way better resale value than even ICE cars in the same class.... (Leafs, with crap batteries, sure don't)

What's self evident is the current lifespan of Tesla batteries is already "good enough" for resale buyers to be 110% fine with it- otherwise they wouldn't be paying significantly more for a used Tesla than literally any comparable vehicle EV or ICE.

One of the major concerns about EVs is range loss. Wouldn't a million mile battery help with this tremendously?

Not any more than a "1000 mile range" battery helps range anxiety in a country where the average person drives under 30 miles in a day.

It's great for marketing and mental blocks, but not of much practical value given cars are rarely driven even 100k miles before being resold the first time.

It certainly matters for any kind of automated driving service

Which currently don't exist, so probably not a huge bump to sales right now.

, ride-sharing drivers, etc

I'm not really sure the typical uber driver amortizes his vehicle over 30 years..... (in fact isn't there a rule for some classes of rideshare that you can't use a car if it's more than a certain # of years old? so NO help there at all to those folks).

For heavy duty fleet users (the one example cited being Tesloop- which owns SEVEN WHOLE CARS!) those guys are mostly buying unlimited-mileage-warranty S/X models and burning through several stock batteries at $0.00 cost to themselves... so I guess for the literal number of cars you can count on your fingers a million mile battery helps Teslas warranty costs by that amount :))

It's going to be a long night for us Europeans. The Annual Meeting of Stockholders starts at 1:30 PT, which is 10.30 PM CET (and an hour earlier for the Brits). If the meeting takes 1,5 hours then Battery Day itself will only start at midnight. Elon time :rolleyes:

Good thing I'm off the next day :D

We have to get a code to se the stream, no? I applied for attending, is the request part of that??

Might actually stay up for this one.

I'm surprised by how many folks don't seem to get the significance of the 1M battery. Several previous opinions offered with good points. I'll add a couple more...
  • Disruption. Tesla keeps changing the game. They are playing 4D chess while the other mfgs play checkers.

• Again- CATL already announced a million mile battery months ago now. Mostly reaction was either folks confusing this for a Tesla product (it's not)- or yawns. Nobody's buying them so far at all.

Because "million mile" isn't the important part (nor does it change any games, given it's existed for months now and nobody cares)

Mentioned up thread, people (even if subsequent owners) don't keep cars past 10 to 15 years because they become unreliable and expensive... But what if they didn't?

That's not correct at all though.

The average american sells a car just past 6.5 years, and below 90,000 miles.

Even the crappiest new ICE cars run much longer than that these days. They're not selling them then because they're unreliable, they're selling them because they want a NEW car.

A 15 year old car is typically on its second or third owner by then, sometimes more...and on average still only has 150-200k miles.... so again there's no value add to being able to go FIVE times the amount of miles the average person drives in 15 years instead of "only" 2-3 times more miles than the average person drives in that time as far as the vehicle mileage goes.

There's potentially some for V2G, but that's a whole other conversation and since the first RR cars will be $140,000 I'm unsure how many folks super interested in home power storage wouldn't already have a powerwall or two and have been doing it already.

• Helps convert MORE former ICE buyers. 1M mile battery and motor ought to knock down any longevity concerns.

They ALREADY have more demand than they can physically build cars. MORE demand helps not at all.

And again the resale value tells you the existing battery life is TOTALLY FINE for buyers. (So does the basic math I outlined above... even at 400-500k miles of "life" most folks don't put HALF that on a car in 15 years)

Elon's loves knocking down excuses.

The 2 things he cited as ACTUAL obstacles to greater EV adoption are:

1) Greatly increased ability to PRODUCE batteries- since that will let them build more cars for the already-existing buyers who want one today but Tesla can't make them fast enough

2) The cost of batteries needs to be lower- so that people who want a Tesla but can't afford one, can.

THOSE are the barriers to more adoption that matter (per Elon himself) and will most accelerate the mission. "Million mile" will be a great marketing slogan, but it's not the thing that fixes the 2 actual obstacles he outlined.

And those are the two things I expect will be the important things to look for having been "solved" on BD...

If instead we get a "million mile battery" without those other 2 being fixed, that'd be very bad for investors long term as it's not solving the actual challenges to greater adoption.

I am not talking about the now. The new car buyers of today nor the 3 year off lease buyers of today.

I am talking about the future.

Where Tesla is the biggest selling automaker in the US.

Where "Tesla" is generic for car.

Not early adopters. Nor early majority.

People who currently drive 10-15 year old cars buying 8 year old Teslas because it is conventional wisdom that is the cheapest way to go. Because Tesla drivetrains last 1M miles.

A thousand times this.

There is a reason Toyota is worth more than most of the other ICE OEMs combined. The have a reputation for lasting forever.

There is a reason Toyota is worth more than most of the other ICE OEMs combined. The have a reputation for lasting forever.

Toyota isn't worth more than the rest of the ICE OEMs combined though....(Tesla is of course- even WITHOUT a million mile battery!) so your basic premise appears inaccurate.

They're #1, but not more than all the rest combined.... and not because their cars last so long.

(Also Hondas last forever too- market cap isn't quite as good though, almost like volume and profitability are factors somehow)

Exciting development on Solar Roof this morning: Tesla partners with other companies to install solar roof tiles - Electrek

Tesla is already producing the tiles faster than they can install them. They've so far partnered with Good Faith Energy out of Dallas-Fort Worth (picture of their first install in the article), and Sunpro to install Solar Roofs.

That IS good news... I know a lot of folks were upset when they got their tesla solar orders cancelled (some after having deposits for a couple years with Tesla) because Tesla decided they weren't serving their state at all due to lack of installers... LOTS of folks around me have been interested in Tesla solar but gotten the same "No service for you!" answer back.

Their solar pricing is fantastic but they've been desperate to get anyone who can competently do the work.... if they can get solid 3rd party help that'll speed up TE significantly... (which as noted even ARK is mostly ignoring the value of for the next few years as it's been a slow road)

You guys get me so hyped up on TSLA (as if i wasnt already). I'm getting a few more shares this morning before battery day.

Between the articles you guys link and the things that are extreme common knowledge (Huge gigafactory expansion rate, semi truck, ever-improving FSD, 2 dozen other things..) I see the sky at the limit for TSLA ($5000/sh)! What other company has so much diversified cool stuff on their road map?

Toyota isn't worth more than the rest of the ICE OEMs combined though....(Tesla is of course- even WITHOUT a million mile battery!) so your basic premise appears inaccurate.

They're #1, but not more than all the rest combined.... and not because their cars last so long.

(Also Hondas last forever too- market cap isn't quite as good though, almost like volume and profitability are factors somehow)

Toyota has massive brand equity from their reputation for reliability. They're worth 3x what VW (with roughly the same revenue) is for a reason, because VW makes unreliable junk and Toyota doesn't.

Making the most reliable ICE has worked well for Toyota. Making the most reliable EV is a good idea for Tesla.

Toyota has massive brand equity from their reputation for reliability.

Sure. But again, Honda is extremely reliable and has a rep for that but a much smaller market cap.

"Really reliable" is one, tiny, factor in the value of a company.

They're worth 3x what VW

No, they're not.

Typically it has floated around 2-2.5x You keep making up fake numbers on market cap. Take 5 minutes and look this stuff up.

is for a reason, because VW makes unreliable junk and Toyota doesn't.

Toyota market cap is 4.5-5x Hondas.

Does Honda make unreliable junk or does maybe market cap have a lot more to do with OTHER things than how many miles the car goes before it dies?

Making the most reliable ICE has worked well for Toyota. Making the most reliable EV is a good idea for Tesla.

And as already pointed out- not only do they do so- even without a million mile battery, Teslas market cap is at least 50% greater than Toyotas.

Seems to be working out fine for Tesla.

Again almost like having a battery that "only" goes 2-3 times more miles than the average car is ever driven in its lifetime is already fine or something.

A thousand times this.

I don’t think Toyota or Honda’s reps for good engines will matter much in five years. And Toyota seems to have squandered their huge lead that the Prius could have given them.