Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was furloughed May of this year. Feels good not having to deal with the distraction of having a job.

Also gotta say that staying up late, sleeping well into the morning and answering to no one is great too.
Wait....aren't you married?? You answer to the boss as long as you're married :)

I’m looking forward to a thorough analysis by Rob Maurer of what to expect in the coming 25 trading days. His insights have been very helpful in the past.

I hope he can shed some light on how much demand for shares we can expect.

I personally think we may see up to 8 million shares on average per trading day being taken out of the market until 21 December: 5 million for the S&P 500 index funds, 1-2 million for funds shadowing these index funds, 1 million for shorts covering (I believe the number of 46 million shares shorted can halve if we go to 600+), and 0,5-1 million for MMs covering for call buying by private investors.

Lol, why wait for Rob Maurer? You shed more light on the next 5 weeks in 66 words than the Sun sheds photons. :p

BTW, Nominated for "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit".

Thank-you

Lol, even the sneaky 1 dollar dips at the top of the hour are being met with ferocious buying now... :D

Here's something else thats CRITICAL for MMs and would-be Hedgies: Large Wall St. Index Funds are all "Owners of Record" for the shares they hold.

Let me repeat that: "Owner's of Record" means Tesla has the list of names and amnt of TSLA holdings of each Index Fund.

There will be NO OPPORTUNITY for internal fraud like when a MM/Broker short sells a share of TSLA to their captive "Benefical Owners" ie: their Customers.

This is HUGE.

Cheers!

P.S. $487.17 on 54M shares of TSLA (up over 10%)

Thanks for this @Artful Dodger. Wheels turning.

This post calls for the creation of a "VERY informative" button on TMC.

Huge sell order at $490 (over 50,000 shares) was put in right before TSLA crossed $490 for the first time today. TSLA sliced right through this order, but it was brought down below $490 for a bit. However, unlike recent low volume days, the capping attempts are being bought without hesitation. Nice to see volume come back in. The next few weeks should be very, very interesting.

LOL sell orders, there are NONE

I think this is hedge funds and MMs front running the actual buying needed by the funds. While there is no way to know for sure it is clear that the S&P committee thought they were smart in announcing a delayed inclusion date but little do they understand the dynamics of TSLA. They move at a snail's pace just like our legacy carmakers.

I'm not a selling a single share is probably the sentiment most of the folks on this forum have. I might sell some in my 401k if the SP spikes to 600$ or more but mostly just having fun watching the SP do it's thing.

If I were an MM then I'd be delta-hedging every call up to the top strike from now until the end of the year, so I reckon this is part of the climb and I don't think they'll be finished too soon either as folks will be loading on calls.

I am confused about the apparent BRK 13F release exemption. “We don’t want to disclose the name of a purchased company because it would cause the stock to rise”.

Given that disclosure of BRK taking a stake in TSLA would likely cause a big pop in TSLA share price, it is possible that Buffet concluded (and was able to convince the SEC) that it would be preferable for this pop to occur after S&P inclusion rather than before, such that millions of index fund investors and pension fund investors would not be deprived of the benefits of the pop.

This explanation makes sense as the SEC would be hard pressed to agree to any disclosure exceptions that would mostly benefit BRK. A decision that benefits millions of retail investors, on the other hand, is difficult to argue against.

Weak point in this argument is that it presumes the "Shortseller Enrichment Commission" would actually follow their mission and look out for the interest of small investors. (But stranger things have happened.)

Huge sell order at $490 (over 50,000 shares) was put in right before TSLA crossed $490 for the first time today. TSLA sliced right through this order, but it was brought down below $490 for a bit. However, unlike recent low volume days, the capping attempts are being bought without hesitation. Nice to see volume come back in. The next few weeks should be very, very interesting.
Heck, the day is not over yet!
Elon disrupts another one: the stock index fund industry.

Definitely not the American way... we may be desperate, but we definitely ain't quiet!

I thought it was a Pink Floyd reference, hence my response, from Time - DSotM:

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.

As we approach a ATH. Does anybody remember the after-hours ATH from end of August? I believe we briefly touched $530, then a big Sep drop. Official ATH is $502 but wasn't sure how to google for distant after hours charts.
Yes, the ATH SP was $538.75 during pre-Market trading on Tue, Sep 1st, 2020 at about 7:01 am:

TSLA.2020-09-01.07-01.png

The ATH Closing SP occured on the previous day Aug 31, 2020 at $498.32 and that record is in play today:

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-08-31.20-00.png

Cheers!

I was furloughed May of this year. Feels good not having to deal with the distraction of having a job.

Also gotta say that staying up late, sleeping well into the morning and answering to no one is great too.

So no wife then...?

But ain't you the sucker, I have a really well-paid job, am stuck at home and watch the ticker all day too!

(but I do work as well...)

The effective free float is shrinking as FOMO rises. There will not be enough pie for indexers. Will Tesla gracefully offer to bake some more? As shareholders, how would you feel about this?
Betrayed? (Let S&P suffer!)
Benevolent? (Shares are a renewable resource!)
What could Tesla do with an extra $20-40 billion?
Lower prices so much that other car, solar, & battery companies have no hope of competing?
Build the terafactory of its dreams?
Buy out competitors?
Expand into adjacent industries?
Stage a mission to Mars?