Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which means Tesla data initiatives just keep pushing margins higher relative to other manufacturers who have to pay others for the data they need to provide to offer competitive products. Tesla can use the higher margins to increase profits, re-invest in further expansion or cut selling prices. It's Tesla's choice to suit the ever-evolving environment.

Most of us have known for a long time that the competition was NOT coming. I think we are getting to the point that even the slowest people in the investment arena, Mark Spiegel comes to mind as the poster child of the misguided idiots, will be coming to this same conclusion very soon. That the competition is NOT coming after all!

Sure, there will be other EV's on the market. But it will be like the Model T boom years. Ford was increasing production capacity as fast as possible and they sold every Model T as soon as it came off the line because it offered so much more value than any competitor could offer. People bought competitors products simply because they wanted a new car and they didn't have a waiting list. The Model T had 60% of the automotive market at it's peak and it would have been closer to 90% had they been able to make enough of them. Yes, there were plenty of alternatives but the other manufacturers couldn't lower prices enough to compete with the value Ford offered.

So, how much is TSLA worth if the competition is NOT coming? ;)

Or they'll take niche EV categories that Tesla hasn't focused on. Like $18 K (minus EV rebate) commuter / grocery car Electrameccanica's SOLO (also +10x since March), or it's awesome (but far from produced) roadster projected to cost 1/4 the price of a Roadster.

SOLO red.jpg
tofino.jpg

To all you folks selling calls like $300-400 OTM, I'll say it again...."its like picking up pennies in front of a steam roller." Whatever catalyst that takes it to 900, can just as well take it to 1000 or 1100 or 1500, and youll ask yourself if the $7/share you collected was really worth getting ran over.

Truth. I'm holding Jan 2021 200 (1000 strike pre split) calls I picked up in Feb/Mar this year that are up 4,600% Would be kicking myself if I was a seller of calls....

I made 46x my investment on that one (so far). They still did great making 5x but without selling the options they'd be at $520 or 13X.

To clarify, they sacrificed $316 per share to guarantee $6

Last edited:
NIO is now worth more than GM (and Ford and FCA, etc.)

I also added back the March 18 data point I'd lost - the low water mark for 2020. This highlights TSLA growing almost 10x in less than a year!

View attachment 611126
Here's another look at comparing NIO with TSLA. Shown is the 1 yr and 3 yr SP comparison.

It's certainly been a good year for NIO, but I also did not miss out by not owning it because Tesla, over a 3 yr period, did better than NIO.
Only question is if NIO has a better product long-term. What if the $25K Tesla, right?

"Long" live Tesla!

upload_2020-11-23_12-0-24.png

upload_2020-11-23_12-0-36.png

So when will the Presidential limo be upgraded to electric? I'm not really joking. A stretched Cybertruck in matte black would be a pretty bad a$$ Presidential vehicle.
"“We believe the ambitious electrification goals of the President-elect, California, and General Motors are aligned, to address climate change by drastically reducing automobile emissions,” Barra said in the letter."

GM backing down on some suit about emissions in CA. GM flips to California's side in pollution fight with Trump
That just shows that GM is managed by idiots. Why on Earth would you fight to roll back regulations like this (and actually adjust your manufacturing plans), with the understanding that they could be restored in literally the next year or 4?

from a money-grabbing instinct perspective, Anyone that is interacting with TSLA will not be taking it easy on any day till near the end of January.
Thursday is not a TSLA Holiday. All those with TSLA association will either be selling it to their relatives over a family get together, or will be staying home looking at the choices, and planning their strategy...for Friday.
Friday's half-day could be a whole new surprise.

For Tesla, Thanksgiving is like Super Bowl Sunday is for Dodge. Except Tesla's advertising agents pay Tesla for the privilege of showing their car to family and friends!

Have heard these issues with the price being to far away from marker with multiple brokers. This is a defense they have instituted recently. Seems that it somehow works to stop shenanigans with fake orders moving prices somehow although I do not get it.

I AM happy to report that TD Ameritrade gives me no issues at all.

Interactive Brokers warns me repeatedly that it is an order far away from market but allows me to place the order.

Cannot imagine sticking with a broker that gave me nonsense like this.
I have a sell ladder from $700 through $800. E*Trade seems OK with it.

• Informative
Reactions: H Mak and M|S|M MYP
That just shows that GM is managed by idiots. Why on Earth would you fight to roll back regulations like this (and actually adjust your manufacturing plans), with the understanding that they could be restored in literally the next year or 4?

And another related question would be why did GM's CEO recently sell half of her GM shares? Maybe recent moves are some sort of "Hail Mary" for GM and Mary Barra.

My primary move for December is selling covered-calls leading up to and hopefully catching the peak. Willing to write against all my shares at varying strikes if the SP is right at the time, though at least half will be way way OTM.

I also want to be able to sell off the few dozen odd leftovers that aren't a multiple of 100 if the SP spikes to something crazy :) Or if it goes real crazy, sell a hundred or two in 20 share batches at various nosebleed levels with the intention(gamble) of buying back in 2021 for less. Fidelity won't let me set a sell order that's beyond 50% appreciation. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Want to set the structure of this plan in my Fidelity account so I can just fine tune the strikes as we inch toward Christmas.
Or you could use a CC premium to get you to your next 100 shares so you can write another. A 1/23, $1k will buy 20 shares. If it hits 2 years from now, you not only doubled it's value but the 20 shares effectively doubled too. Nice little $70k profit on $52k for a 2 year term. Wait till IV hits 100, could be even sweeter. But then again, TSLA could be eleventy quadrillion in 2 years.