Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2C45C3E0-F759-4FAB-B443-97887A36E185.jpeg

great to hear the snakes are safe :rolleyes:

I can't think of anything better to spend $TSLA profits, but I'm intending to buy mine as a company car on lease, not selling shares for cars, not even that...
I'm buying a RWD Model 3. It hasn't crashed yet, but when it does, I hope to buy it for <$15k and will be having the rear drive assembly mounted perpendicular to the differentials of my 2001 Wrangler. Unclear if I can fit all 4 battery modules, we'll see.

More roundabout, but similar plan!

So now I’m thinking around the 17th-18th I’ll be looking into selling covered calls against my entire portfolio (Jan ‘22 $1,200s). What should one do with the premium to capitalize on a short down..? Sell puts? Then a little later should the dip happen, buy the calls back and keep the shares appreciating?

Reactions: Yoona
And yet, I am still making money.
Right? We don't even have to be good at it. Just hold out the bag when you feel lucky, and more often than not... it fills.

I was watching a documentary on bird intelligence yesterday (impressive, no really!). So I'm convinced a crow could make money here. "Just press BUY when you see a bunch of red color..." I'd explain to my bird friend. Not sure if I would teach the other half, lol.

Goddamn, this stock is insane.

Cannot complain as I am banking large over the past month but the past 48 hours have beaten me to s$%.

Guess my position was too large if I lost sleep over this. Sure wish I had just bit my tongue for half an hour in the morning instead of talking to myself about limiting exposure, not letting gains slip away and yada yada yada.

And yet, I am still making money. So obviously I am deranged. I need to find some balance here...
I believe balance is precisely what you just described!

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
So now I’m thinking around the 17th-18th I’ll be looking into selling covered calls against my entire portfolio (Jan ‘22 $1,200s). What should one do with the premium to capitalize on a short down..? Sell puts? Then a little later should the dip happen, buy the calls back and keep the shares appreciating?
Wow, you're either going to the moon or the alley. I watched my brother lose it ALL on TSLA twice now. And he's still giving me advice along with yet another method, while explaining what he did wrong last time.

I don't know your situation, it's just something I noticed.

Not sure I agree with this. The total number of shares of TSLA stock will not decrease, but once the index funds buy their shares, I'd argue that those shares are no longer part of the float. The index funds will not be selling those shares the vast majority of those shares for a very very long time. I mean sure, if there is an index rebalancing and TSLA's percentage of the index decreases, they might sell a tiny portion, but it won't be anything significant. But this effectively decreased the float of TSLA shares in actual circulation by almost however many shares the index funds buy.

It's probably a pedantic argument either way, relying on perspective. Those shares held by indexers can and will be available for sale indirectly through their funds and directly during quarterly rebalancing. I suppose it does lock some up in the short term which could be seen as a reduction in supply.

True dat. Last November/December, my Step-father and a dear older friend who both are rich due to their knowledge and action within the stock market over the last 50 years, advised me to not invest in TSLA when I broached the subject with each of them separately. They both looked at the stock and informed me I had missed the boat. I took their advice, and stayed out of it, until January 30.
Since then I have gotten both of them to invest heavily by my standards, but not until a couple of weeks before the split.
So the best time to get in was yesterday, the next best time is today, and if you can't then tomorrow you really should.
One of my friend who hesitated between buying a Kona EV and Model 3 finally bought a Model 3 last year. Tried to convince him to buy TSLA too but he said he was happy with his 12% funds returns and when it skyrocketed presplit he said he missed the boat when it was at $2000.
He already would have made more than 30% profit within 6 months!

How can investors who missed out on Tesla Inc. TSLA 1.25% sleep at night? The electric-car company is up 12,551% since the close on the day of its 2010 IPO, enough to turn a modest $10,000 holding into a $1.3 million luxury beach house.

I must have missed, where can you get a luxury beach house for 1.3 million?

I need to get out of California.

I can't think of anything better to spend $TSLA profits, but I'm intending to buy mine as a company car on lease, not selling shares for cars, not even that...
At 70, retired, and no kids, Roadster can't get here fast enough. Wife won't like it though; She thinks the S is too fast. Might have to just live with the tri-motor Cybertruck that really can't get here fast enough.

Can't take it with you; Most toys and all that... :)

Quite frankly, I'd go for September 2021. Don't wanna wait till Q3 ER and Q4 P&D are out.

I must have missed, where can you get a luxury beach house for 1.3 million?

I need to get out of California.
In Canadian money, that's $1.65M and a start on waterfront BC lakes. But on a hillside with 100 stairs to the water still. Need at least 3.5M Canadian from what I see. But that's prices before the next bubble burst maybe.

Edit: Math.

Goddamn, this stock is insane.

Cannot complain as I am banking large over the past month but the past 48 hours have beaten me to s$%.

Guess my position was too large if I lost sleep over this. Sure wish I had just bit my tongue for half an hour in the morning instead of talking to myself about limiting exposure, not letting gains slip away and yada yada yada.

And yet, I am still making money. So obviously I am deranged. I need to find some balance here...
My approach this morning was to sleep in. I checked the market just as TSLA went green. Didn't do anything. I guess I missed a buying opportunity. Oh, well.

Interesting idea, especially if you would have use for the $ if TSLA broke above $1,200 by J'22. My guess is you're hoping it doesn't so you don't leave $ on the table.

So you're thinking:

1. Pocket cash 12/18 by selling covered calls
2. If after SP500 inclusion there's a dip, buy calls to close the original sold ones at a lower $, keep the difference, maybe buy more shares
3. If there's not a dip, hope TSLA rises but doesn't hit $1,200 by J'22
4. If it does hit $1,200, take the money on assignment, don't regret what might have been (say TSLA at $1,500 J'22).

#4 is the real worry, but it's a first world worry.