Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People being disappointed that the share price isn't rising are not investing in TSLA for the right reasons.
We shouldn't care about fundamentals or how many shares indexes have to buy. All we should do is agree to keep buying regardless of whether Tesla is profitable or not. That way, the share price will keep going up even if Tesla loses billions every year.
If we all do that, Elon Musk will be the richest man alive!

Bears and technical traders pinning TSLA at 10-day moving avg ($622.20 @ 10:00 AM)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-12-16.10-00.png

It doesn't help the rest of us learn if referencing "my broker" and not stating who that is. I read many posts here from you all and there are many conflicts of information such as broker requirements.
TD Ameritrade:
FYI- I have traded stocks after hours in traditional IRA and Roth IRA. I was given the option of a margin account with my Traditional IRA but not the Roth IRA. In fact, covered calls were denied in my Roth but not in my traditional IRA's. I have no idea if these rules are regulations or TD Ameritrade policy. I really don't care so long as I understand what the rules are.

It also appears to me that many of the posts here confuse index funds with S&P benchmark funds, with Hedge funds .

From the S&P source it appears to me that the index funds such as the SPY are required to add Tesla shares based on a $ volume at the Tesla stock price at the close of market price on the 18th and be all in by the opening in the 21st. I am still unclear as to the ±3 day rule. However, the index fund does not have to buy a fixed number of shares, rather they are required to spend a fixed $ amount to balance the index to match the market ratio of all 500 shares. Only by math is that equated to a set number of shares based on market close on the 18th. eg. They have to spend $10, and it doesn't matter if that is spent as ten 1$ bills, two 5$ bills or one 10$ bill.
Benchmark funds that have a charter to track the S&P 500 can add shares at the best price anytime they want, however the more they deviate from the inclusion date to add, the more they fail to match the S&P500 and will get tagged as a not so accurate fund for people wanting to own them. The size of Tesla makes that imbalance more likely so they will try to also add near the inclusion date.
Finally, the index funds aren't very large compared to the benchmark funds so them buying in all at once on Friday near the close may not drive the market more than a couple % . I think Rob Mauer explained this with numbers. and the two that list their holdings, I believe the IVV and the SPY did not have any stake in Tesla as of the 15th. Se Rob's latest vblog.

The above is what I gather from trusted sources and not from Forums and Twitter statements. If my understanding is in error then I will stand corrected by those trusted sources.

Last summer a Circle-K station in Lillesand, Norway had more customers charging than filling fossil fuels. It's a nice milestone!

As you can see in the pic they have Tesla chargers (right) and Ionity chargers (top) in addition to fossil fuels (left). I have charged here several times and it's a nice place to stop on the Norwegian riviera Sørlandet.
View attachment 618157

In Norway about 60% of new cars sold are pure EVs and an additional 20% are hybrids.

Source in Norwegian: Rekordsalg av elbiler i 2020: – Flere ladekunder enn kunder som fylte drivstoff

Strange things are afoot at Circle-K

Because I think Plaid S / S / X will continue to be on the same architecture. Can't imagine them signing up for yet another different variant on the bodyline that already does an S and X.
On this part, we agree completely. The only issue is, when does Tesla cease production of the old body style and switch production to the new tri-motor varient.

I suggest those dates may by Dec 24 and Jan 11, respectively.

Cheers!

Form CT just hit IR

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/999999999720005723/filename1.pdf

"
UNITED STATES
SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION December 16, 2020

ORDER GRANTING CONFIDENTIAL TREATMENT UNDER THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934

Tesla, Inc.
File No. 001-34756 - CF#35644

Tesla, Inc. submitted an application under Rule 24b-2 requesting an extension of a previous grant of confidential treatment for information it excluded from the Exhibits to a Form 10-Q filed on November 3, 2017.

Based on representations by Tesla, Inc. that this information qualifies as confidential commercial or financial information under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(4), the Division of Corporation Finance has determined not to publicly disclose it. Accordingly, excluded information from the following exhibits will not be released to the public for the time period specified:

Exhibit 10.5 through December 31, 2023 Exhibit 10.6 through December 31, 2023

For the Commission, by the Division of Corporation Finance, pursuant to delegated authority:

Patti J. Dennis
Chief, Office of Disclosure Support"

Sorry to be obtuse, but what is the significance of this? What information do we believe this references?

From the S&P source it appears to me that the index funds such as the SPY are required to add Tesla shares based on a $ volume at the Tesla stock price at the close of market price on the 18th and be all in by the opening in the 21st. I am still unclear as to the ±3 day rule.

Each.

Index fund.

Has.

Different.

Rules.

Generally most funds rules say they can buy X number of days before OR after inclusion date (SPY specifically is 3 days either way for example) but X can vary and in some cases it's left to fund manager discretion entirely.

Most end up buying at close day before inclusion to minimize tracking error.

Same answer as the last 500 times.

Can we get this stickied to the top of every page of the thread till inclusion is over or something?

I'm starting to have some sympathy for my kids who get to see a bunch of wrapped presents under the tree, but have to wait a while to open them. Seems like our present can't be opened for a few more days. :/

I think this is more akin to my 6 year old self waking up early and opening up all the presents before anyone else woke up.