Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"tsla-stock-price-an-army-of-millionaire-retail-traders-hold-on"

"Elon Musk Has Made Millionaires Out of His Most Loyal Fans
They bought Tesla shares early and kept the faith. After a dizzying year, is it time to cash in?"

intentionally not linked - Dana Hull in Bloomberg this morning.

...makes me wonder what the mood is like around the TeslaQ campfire this morning. Singing songs and making s’mores?

Sold a couple 12/24 $700s @ $37. Feeling good to lock in the total cost of all contracts at this strike, but probably will regret it by EOD. We shall see.

Trying to take some conservative cues from you people.

I also sold half my remaining 12/24 600s with the stock around $679. Just wanted to de-risk a little. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of profit-taking took place around then, allowing MMs to sell some shares and amplify this downturn.

EDIT: Feels pretty smart with the stock down now to around $662...but we'll see how smart I'm feeling by close! :eek:

Reactions: capster and cjkosh
Friend of mine has a Fidelity 401k and wants to invest in TSLA but they wont let him. How can he roll over into an IRA or something that will let him. He's still employed there.
I couldn't move my money out of my company's 401k to a Rollover account as long as I worked there. It was actually the tipping point for me - I quit the job in 2016, immediately converted my 401k to a RolloverIRA (all still at Fidelity), put it all on TSLA, and it's worked out pretty, pretty well.

I looked really hard at the time for any way to invest my retirement in TSLA while still employed, but there was no way. But I think it was my company's rules more than any law or Fidelity rules.

Only true if all S&P names drop the same percentage. If TSLA drops more relative to other names, index funds will have to sell some TSLA at the next rebalance. Similarly, if TSLA drops less relative to other names, they will have to buy more TSLA.

This isn't quite right. Like @smorgasbord says: If TSLA drops in value then the index just tracks that, and in order to stay true to the SP500 the index fund needs the exact amount of TSLA that they are holding to keep tracking correctly. The price of all the other stocks that make up the SP500 does affect the overall index value, of course, but if say TSLA drops a lot while the other stocks stand still then the whole index gets less valuable and TSLA makes up a smaller percentage of the index, but no need to buy more TSLA or sell off TSLA - just keep the same number of shares to keep tracking.

I don't believe it would help them to do that. They are selling to investment firms which are "stockholders of record". I don't know if you can obtain that status without having the actual shares in your hot little hands. So all it would do is move the spike (if any) a couple of days. I also don't think even the SEC could look the other way if they did this.

That makes no sense. You are saying that the market for a short-seller (or a naked short-seller) is a different market than that of a regular seller. That is not my understanding. A sell is a sell.

MMD already? :)

They forgot to fill the gap. It's done now.

giphy.gif

I would congratulate you but the return for holding TSLA through that same period (without compounding) averages 2.82% per day.

The other thing I know is the traders that have an unusually good run tend to post their results and the traders who blew it tend to slink off into the shadows without letting us know about their personal disasters.

some people really have problems here....SMH

Not trading at all - am HODL'ing. The 3% stuff was a light-hearted response to @Lycanthrope Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable following which I decided to just see how it went...

FWIW: the JAN15'21 720C I bought on S&P announcement is currently sitting at 8X. A couple of days ago I sold 20% of the position when it was 10X briefly. I have GTC order in for half of the remaining position at 10X and the rest at 20X, just in case I miss something.
The DEC31'20 700C I bought a couple of days later is barely breaking even right now. I'll sell this one on gut feeling as it was a lottery call only.

Happy?

• Funny
Reactions: lafrisbee
some people really have problems here....SMH

Not trading at all - am HODL'ing. The 3% stuff was a light-hearted response to @Lycanthrope Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable following which I decided to just see how it went...

FWIW: the JAN15'21 720C I bought on S&P announcement is currently sitting at 8X. A couple of days ago I sold 20% of the position when it was 10X briefly. I have GTC order in for half of the remaining position at 10X and the rest at 20X, just in case I miss something.
The DEC31'21 700C I bought a couple of days later is barely breaking even right now. I'll sell this one on gut feeling as it was a lottery call only.

Happy?

That's fine - I was literally just responding to what you actually wrote.

Fancy that!

Do I need to be doing somethng with my Fidelity IRA account to make sure contracts aren't executed before I want? Keep hearing these posts about random executions by brokers.

If you sell covered calls there is nothing you can do to stop them from being executed when the other party wants to other than buying them to close first.

As far as your broker selling ITM calls you hold prior to close when you don't have the money/margin to execute them, that is the policy most brokers have. And I would think your only options would be to get enough money/margin to execute them or roll them to a further out date.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Although volume is high this morning, I’m assuming the index funds are still not buying. This action is almost all traders, bots, MMs, and amateurs like us all let into Walmart on the first hour of Black Friday shopping.

And it’s all people wagering on what people think will happen between now and 3:50. This is what day traders live for.

The real action starts around 3:30 when it’s no longer bets about what is happening during the day and becomes all about bets on what’s going to happen during the Closing Cross of All Time.