Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

SOULPEDL

Jul 25, 2016
Arizona
That is perfectly acceptable. So long as you're spending a good amount of it on something ridiculous.

Yes, and this is ridiculous - 2021 Model Y. Loving it!

upload_2020-12-18_7-48-7.png

MSNBC pumping this up, thanks ;)

smorgasbord

Jun 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Only true if all S&P names drop the same percentage. If TSLA drops more relative to other names, index funds will have to sell some TSLA at the next rebalance. Similarly, if TSLA drops less relative to other names, they will have to buy more TSLA.

Nope. They won't have to sell TSLA to reduce their percentage because the drop in the stock price has already reduced their percentage the exact amount needed.

StealthP3D

Dec 12, 2018
Maple Falls, WA
Whelp... here we are. We've averaged 2.3% / trading day since announcement. Not quite the 3% per day I was hoping for, but I'll take it.

I would congratulate you but the return for holding TSLA through that same period (without compounding) averages 2.82% per day.

The other thing I know is the traders that have an unusually good run tend to post their results and the traders who blew it tend to slink off into the shadows without letting us know about their personal disasters.

JustMe

Nov 21, 2016
Conroe
"tsla-stock-price-an-army-of-millionaire-retail-traders-hold-on"

"Elon Musk Has Made Millionaires Out of His Most Loyal Fans
They bought Tesla shares early and kept the faith. After a dizzying year, is it time to cash in?"

intentionally not linked - Dana Hull in Bloomberg this morning.

...makes me wonder what the mood is like around the TeslaQ campfire this morning. Singing songs and making s’mores?

Cherry Wine

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
California
Sold a couple 12/24 $700s @ $37. Feeling good to lock in the total cost of all contracts at this strike, but probably will regret it by EOD. We shall see.

Trying to take some conservative cues from you people.

I also sold half my remaining 12/24 600s with the stock around $679. Just wanted to de-risk a little. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of profit-taking took place around then, allowing MMs to sell some shares and amplify this downturn.

EDIT: Feels pretty smart with the stock down now to around $662...but we'll see how smart I'm feeling by close! :eek:

Reactions: capster and cjkosh

Yonki

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2015
Pacific Grove, CA
Friend of mine has a Fidelity 401k and wants to invest in TSLA but they wont let him. How can he roll over into an IRA or something that will let him. He's still employed there.
I couldn't move my money out of my company's 401k to a Rollover account as long as I worked there. It was actually the tipping point for me - I quit the job in 2016, immediately converted my 401k to a RolloverIRA (all still at Fidelity), put it all on TSLA, and it's worked out pretty, pretty well.

I looked really hard at the time for any way to invest my retirement in TSLA while still employed, but there was no way. But I think it was my company's rules more than any law or Fidelity rules.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC