Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

enzo

Sep 4, 2016
USA
I guess they need to contemplate this scenario: there is a huge run up around 3:30 triggering a halt to trading just before the closing cross mechanics kick in. I bet they don’t have a play for that scenario already written in their playbook.
Y'all are going to love this. If a pause occurs just before close, the Cross can be extended if there is an imbalance up until 5pm.
https://nasdaqtrader.com/content/MarketRegulation/LULDClosingCross.pdf
upload_2020-12-18_10-46-17.png

upload_2020-12-18_10-46-33.png

This is an old document though.

dakh

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seattle, WA
So, if you want make some of your shares available today, at the close, you should offer your shares at the 3:40 price plus 9.9% ?

Short answer is, place either limit on close sell order, or market on close sell order. Long answer, read the article I linked in this post for the gory details.

gabeincal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 5, 2016
SF Bay, CA
I would congratulate you but the return for holding TSLA through that same period (without compounding) averages 2.82% per day.

The other thing I know is the traders that have an unusually good run tend to post their results and the traders who blew it tend to slink off into the shadows without letting us know about their personal disasters.

Bought back my 650 calls this morning at double the loss of my Wed gain. There you go ;)

Bought 300 more shares this morning (from my options profits) and sold Feb '21 $1k covered calls against the entire portfolio. $20k gain on that. We'll see if I have a dilemma in Feb :eek:

Rockster

Oct 22, 2013
McKinney, TX
I receive a financial newsletter called "TradeWise," which I think I receive because I'm with TDA. The newsletter contains information about upcoming earnings announcements and other financial happenings, as well as insights into what's expected to move the market. I glance at it from time to time, just out of curiosity. The few issues from the past week or so make no mention whatsoever of TSLA and their entry into the S&P this week. Not one word. :confused:

amolina

Jan 24, 2020
Berlin
I caught this big one just now. I wonder if this was a dark pool trade. Definitely a bit off of market price:

View attachment 618831

According to Flowalgo, there have been 470k shares worth 315M traded in the dark pool today after the market open.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 16.50.19.png
x

Although, I have sometimes lost faith in the tool since they have missed a lot of options flow in the last few weeks

Last edited:

generalenthu

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2015
Vienna, VA
Reactions: capster

Cherry Wine

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
California
Reactions: capster and enzo

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
Can anyone help with a Fidelity related question?

A friend of mine -new to investing (edit- about 54 years old) has a Fidelity 401k and wants to invest in TSLA but they wont let him. How can he roll over into an IRA or something that will let him buy TSLA? He's still employed at the same place...

Does he have any good options (paths) to TSLA with that money other than waiting till he's 59-1/2?

(Thanks, @Zero CO2 ,@2daMoon )
I don't think so. At least there wasn't for me. Different employers can have different rules.

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed

Cherry Wine

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
California
https://twitter.com/i/status/1339930055292628992

Shouted out TMC on his video! Who's this on here? :) Phone calls from ex-girlfriends, new girlfriends and future girlfriends in 3....2......1

His story echoes my own in a lot of ways. Heard several references to TMC from the r/teslamotors subreddit (which I lurked as a huge Tesla/Elon fan and aspiring Tesla owner). Popped over here, read what seemed like a lot of really smart analysis, sunk my life savings into TSLA...life was changed.

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
That makes no sense. You are saying that the market for a short-seller (or a naked short-seller) is a different market than that of a regular seller. That is not my understanding. A sell is a sell.
No. I'm saying that they would have to provide the actual shares, which they can't do nakedly to an institution because the institution would register them and the seller would have to replace them (for the seller's account). They wouldn't be able to naked short in the same way they do for retail investors where they can keep the virtual shares going for a very long time (until the next split). Not being an expert, I'm probably not saying this very well.

• Informative
Reactions: capster

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC