Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holders of those calls closing the calls out, so the MMs are selling the shares they purchased to hedge for those....How do you know that (second line bolded)?
You realize if they buy back the entire 44K $600 strike Calls and the 21K $650 strike Calls they only end up with 6.3 millions shares to dump? You realize a million of shares are dumped in 5 minutes on these dips? HECK they ran out of Calls to cover at 9am then.

And no one in their right mind thinks retail has millions of shares just waiting to dump or be scooped up on a stop loss.

This might bite me in the a$$, but here's what I have done:
  1. I'm not clever enough about options to trade options. (As Clint Eastwood said in the Dirty Harry movies, "A man has got to know his limitations.")
  2. For about 20% of my TSLA shares owned, I put in a sell limit order in the mid $900's, GTC + Extended Hours.
  3. I then created three conditional orders that are triggered only if the above order executes. Those three orders each use 1/3 of the proceeds from the above sale and buy back in at about $700, $650, and $600. As with the initial order, these are limit orders GTC + Extended Hours.
This way, if a spike occurs that drives up to my sell order and then we drop back down, I'll buy back in and end up with slightly less than 50% more shares than I sold. And this is in a retirement account, so there are no capital gains to worry about at this point. And this is all automatic so I don't have to fret about missing it if it happens during the eighteen minutes per day that I'm actually working. If the spike doesn't happen by the time this S&P fun settles out next week, I'll go in and cancel all the orders and continue to HODL (uh, why are we spelling it like that?), as I'm already doing with the other 80% of my TSLA that's not part of this experiment.

That's as clever as I get.
I'm a newbie to the forum & I'm so glad you posted ur plan, I copied it to a degree with my IRA

Reactions: Rockster
Put a sell order in for 33% of my $TSLA shares :) if it executes, i wont be mad...if not, ill just have to wait till next month :)

upload_2020-12-18_10-49-32.png

Understood, but for 130M buys to be filled at the close price then a matching 130M sells at close have to be just sitting there, right?

Yes. That's why I don't put much importance on the closing cross. It's just an equitable way of matching all the existing buys and sells up at the end of a trading session which increases liquidity. The key thing to remember is all sellers still have to want to sell.

My Brokerage's Newsfeed:- hour ago:

Army Seeks Auto Innovators for Huge Contract -- Market Talk
Today 11:37 AM ET (Dow Jones)

11:37 ET - The US Army's Detroit-based vehicle buying unit restarts the race for its $45B troop transport contract after multiple bumps, and is looking beyond traditional defense contractors ahead of selecting five contenders next summer. General Dynamics, Raytheon and BAE among those who could bid for the Bradley replacement, and General Motors is back in the military vehicle business. Program head Brig. Gen. Glenn Dean says the Army also wants to tap innovators in off-road autonomy and material science. ([email protected]; @dougcameron)
Ugh. Ever see “Pentagon Wars”? I'd pass.
Bradley Fighting Vehicle: "a troop transport that can't carry troops, a reconnaissance vehicle that's too conspicuous to do reconnaissance, and a quasi-tank that has less armor than a snowblower, but has enough ammo to take out half of D.C."

And it is rejected again. I only have one other sell and <10% of holding. Any ideas?
View attachment 618900
Got it finally. Wrong account - I still have this Bond Acct at TD with $100 in it, lol. The one they begged me to keep years ago, just in case.

Thanks for the help everyone!

upload_2020-12-18_11-50-56.png

Sorry but what he does really well is shift the goal post. He never called the secondary offering, it was in fact somebody else and he said it is possible.

do you need some proof of his first price prediction? Here is his tweet the day after S&P inclusion. He started with 460 and in general does a poor job of understanding TSLA float dynamics. Just because someone uses fancy financial terms does not mean he is right or credible. I will give him credit for being right on NKLA but then again there’s a million of us on this forum who made that call too.

View attachment 618878
I mean you're absolutely correct. However, hardly anyone can stick to the same conclusion as new data points emerge. Initially he worked with a set of data that turned out to be non-applicable. Then, he changed his prediction to 650-690 while the stock was raging and looking like it might break 700 at any moment. I give him a pass for that.

VWs CEO Ferdinant Piech wanted to buy Tesla in 2013 but his board was against it

At that time 22k deliveries and $20bn market cap

What a deal ....

If they indeed bought Tesla at that level, then now Musk is a full time CEO of SpaceX and maybe Tesla the car would be like GM EV1. And we won't be here gathering.

Sometime you have to wonder if your Mom and Dad had not met, where would you have settled and who would you have become.

Margin account yes, but I don't have any margin.

Person on phone told me they'll liquidate them as early as 12:30 Chicago time :eek:

I don't want them exercised. In total the options would cost ~4.5x my current account value to exercise.

I'd just like them to not automatically exercise and not liquidate them to protect from auto exercise.

The person on the phone seemed to tell me I couldn't stop the liquidation, but I'll try calling again around 10AM or 10:30AM to try to reason with them again. I'm guessing they'll be too busy around open to answer my call.

I'm late to the party here, but with my broker (KeyTrade Belgium), they exercise ITM options and then give you 5 days to settle the short-fall, which in the case of calls would mean selling a %age of the shares bought to cover the costs.

AFAIK there's not margin limit on this.

Yes. That's why I don't put much importance on the closing cross. It's just an equitable way of matching all the existing buys and sells up at the end of a trading session which increases liquidity. The key thing to remember is all sellers still have to want to sell.

So please enlighten me: is there anything stopping MM from abusing their power, and massively naked short the stock to "balance" the market? That's why they are allowed to do it after all right?

Then they can slowly unwind their short in the next few trading days next week?
am i missing something?

Reactions: Drumheller