Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was about a year and a half ago that I developed more of a focus on SpaceX. This soon led to my normal assimilation of all the data, particularly that regarding Starship. Eventually, searches landed me on Teslarati and I began to learn more about the wider range of all things Elon.

Somewhere around October of last year I got curious about investing in those things, and having zero experience with investing and a marked distrust for Wall Street in general, began expanding my knowledge base. It was soon apparent there was no way for me to buy into SpaceX or Starlink directly, but, I could buy into Tesla. A quick look at the current charts at the time indicated to me immediately that TSLA was in a prime position to be bought cheap and I began the tunneling operations into the couch cushions and throwing everything I could find into buying TSLA, just so I could have a piece of the grander scheme of saving the planet and the species. I went all-in.

Here we are over a year later and I have no regrets at all.

Then, this most excellent mini-documentary reminded me of how it all started, for me. Enjoy.

Hey, that filmmaker stole my avatar.

Your story about SpaceX leading to Tesla is exactly the same as mine. Except it happened at the end of 2018 for me. I know I've told it here before. So even though we can't invest in SpaceX it's still thanks to them we are rich.

Earlier this weekend I posted some calculations using TSLA’s share of the Index at 1.68%.

Reuters is reporting S&P’s spokesman Howard Rosenblatt as stating it will be entering the Index at 1.69%.
Truly phenomenal. Well done, Tesla!

1.686947% per S&P 500 Companies - S&P 500 Index Components by Market Cap

For reference, the 'weight' data used is always 1 day old, but give compare the relative weights to other S&P 500 components from this page (values in table below generated @ ~13:33 ET)

Components of the S&P 500

#
Company Symbol Weight Price Chg % Chg
1 Apple Inc. AAPL 6.478904
down.gif
126.60 -0.05 (-0.04%)
2 Microsoft Corporation MSFT 5.289761
up.gif
223.47 4.88 (2.23%)
3 Amazon.com Inc. AMZN 4.370437
up.gif
3,216.54 14.89 (0.46%)
4 Facebook Inc. Class A FB 2.126779
down.gif
273.37 -3.03 (-1.10%)
5 Tesla Inc TSLA 1.686947
down.gif
665.51 -29.50 (-4.24%)

6 Alphabet Inc. Class A GOOGL 1.661148
down.gif
1,725.96 -0.26 (-0.02%)
7 Alphabet Inc. Class C GOOG 1.608403
up.gif
1,731.02 0.01 (0.00%)
8 Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Class B BRK.B 1.391764
up.gif
223.85 0.42 (0.19%)
9 Johnson & Johnson JNJ 1.301925
down.gif
152.94 -1.57 (-1.02%)
10 JPMorgan Chase & Co. JPM 1.161819
up.gif
124.55 5.47 (4.59%)
11 Visa Inc. Class A V 1.146881
down.gif
209.56 -1.76 (-0.83%)
12 Procter & Gamble Company PG 1.103519
down.gif
137.50 -1.54 (-1.11%)
13 NVIDIA Corporation NVDA 1.051816
up.gif
533.00 2.12 (0.40%)

Note also that although TSLA is listed in 5th position in the chart above, it is actually the 6th largest company listed on the S&P 500 index. That is because Google's parent company (Alphabet) has 2 ticker symbols, 1 each for its 2 classed of stock). So GOOG and GOOGL combined are the effective weight of Alphabet/Google.

Cheers!

When I read this stuff, I immediately think it's just an effort to try for a better buying position. This story, right after inclusion but nothing last week, is a dead give-away. Somebody needs more...

A lot of people need more TSLA. Even if you had 100% in S&P 500 Index funds you would STILL only have less than 1.7% TSLA.

Gordon Johnson on CNBC this morning, repeating the same old talking points. Nice to see the host calling on it. Of course, they keep giving him the platform, so... Looking forward to Q4 results.

They should really show the TipRank rating of these clowns when they interview them, just so people can weigh their words according to their value!

Tesla Shares Slide on First Day of Trading in S&P 500
The slump suggests some investors were cashing out following the electric-car maker’s addition to the S&P 500

Tesla Shares Slide on First Day of Trading in S&P 500

The closing produced that final 695 pop that then went right back down back in AH.
Is it really correct to say "shares slide" and "slump suggests cashing out"?
It is not like investors had a chance to "cash out" after the 695 close.

Question:

Is there any aspect of this Wall Street Journal article headline that is correct?
What am I missing?

Note: Even the google chart doesn't show the final pop.
And by this view, there was no slump but rather TSLA stuck the landing after a massive run up after the announcement.
Sure the index investors got stuck with a super high price point of 695, but that's on them and the S&P. That's their deal.
Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 1.46.21 PM.png

Gordon Johnson on CNBC this morning, repeating the same old talking points. Nice to see the host calling on it. Of course, they keep giving him the platform, so... Looking forward to Q4 results.

Why on earth do they continue to let this guy to be on?

I mean, his bear point of view is just so a nothing burger, a rehash of other points found anywhere, with no real unique analysis.

At least get a bear that has done some original homework.

• Helpful
Reactions: Curt Renz
Perhaps I'm just irrationally hopeful, but I don't think $650 is gonna hold this week. If they can't get it done today, it's gonna be real tough on the inevitable S&P snapback trade tomorrow on stimulus and more vaccine news.

Which begs the question......is TSLA now a tech/growth stock or a mainstream/value stock? just wondering what's gonna happen for the next "rotation".

Gordon must have a large following used as an instrument to manipulate the stock. I think he will fade into the night.

They showed his disclosures and he was NO for any and all involvement with TSLA.

So my question is:

Ok, how does this work?

He's obviously got some sort of stake going on right somehow?

Is trashing TSLA with gobbldeegook just a way to get on TV and advertise his biz? Is that it?

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
They showed his disclosures and he was NO for any and all involvement with TSLA.

So my question is:

Ok, how does this work?

He's obviously got some sort of stake going on right somehow?

Is trashing TSLA with gobbldeegook just a way to get on TV and advertise his biz? Is that it?
It could be that, or he could be paid, or both. I think the bottom line is don't watch CNBC because they will always paint Tesla in a negative light as punishment for not paying the advertising ransom.

Tesla price target raised to $788 from $516 at JMP Securities

JMP Securities analyst Joseph Osha raised the firm's price target on Tesla (TSLA) to $788 from $516 as he raised his 2025 unit delivery target for the company to 3.05M from 2.5M previously given that he now thinks total battery electric vehicle shipments in 2025 could make up 15.7% of global vehicle sales, which is up from his prior 14% assumption. The analyst, who keeps an Outperform rating on Tesla shares, compares the company to "other category-killer manufacturers" like Apple (AAPL) and Nvidia (NVDA). Osha estimates Tesla should be able to control about 45% of the addressable BEV market, excluding about 70% of China's EV sales, which would be down from 54% currently, he noted.

Read more at:
Tesla price target raised to $788 from $516 at JMP Securities TSLA - The Fly

# Company Symbol Weight Price Chg % Chg
1 Apple Inc. AAPL 6.478904
down.gif
126.60 -0.05 (-0.04%)
2 Microsoft Corporation MSFT 5.289761
up.gif
223.47 4.88 (2.23%)
3 Amazon.com Inc. AMZN 4.370437
up.gif
3,216.54 14.89 (0.46%)
4 Facebook Inc. Class A FB 2.126779
down.gif
273.37 -3.03 (-1.10%)
5 Tesla Inc TSLA 1.686947
down.gif
665.51 -29.50 (-4.24%)
6 Alphabet Inc. Class A GOOGL 1.661148
down.gif
1,725.96 -0.26 (-0.02%)
7 Alphabet Inc. Class C GOOG 1.608403
up.gif
1,731.02 0.01 (0.00%)

Google's parent company (Alphabet) has 2 ticker symbols, 1 each for its 2 classed of stock). So GOOG and GOOGL combined are the effective weight of Alphabet/Google.

Cheers!
Say whaaaa?

~~~Moderators, and especially I, are becoming weary of the same Usual Suspects bickering and the needless and endless contradicting of each other or whomever they feel a need to lash. If you think you may be one of those, you’re probably right. If you think you’re going to be able to keep doing so in the New Year, you’re probably wrong.~~~...
~~~JHFMoG - The very next post from either @Knightshade or @Bet TSLA that mentions or refers to the other party earns that poster a year-end vacation into 2021 that the REST OF THIS FORUM deserves to have happen.~~~

Why on earth do they continue to let this guy to be on?

I mean, his bear point of view is just so a nothing burger, a rehash of other points found anywhere, with no real unique analysis.

At least get a bear that has done some original homework.
Entertainment value. It was worth it.

The framing that TSLA dropped 5% today is a bit dishonest IMO. Sure we technically closed at $695 but I really see it as $677 because that was were the day settled. So we are effectively only down about half that.
TDA must have needed some cheap shares because there was a sell suggestion in ToS.

• Funny
Reactions: Nocturnal
This was perhaps posted earlier, but worth reviewing on the inclusion eve. H/t fact checking.View attachment 618724
I noticed when this was posted the other day, that TWTR was red the day after inclusion, before climbing 20%+ over the next 5 days. I have no idea what TSLA will do this week, but the inclusion spike is not necessarily over just because we are red today.

upload_2020-12-21_14-33-46.png

Last edited:
0 Stars - #6,970 out of 7,167 Analysts: https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/gordon-johnson

5 Stars - #199 out of 7,170 Analysts: https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/joseph-osha

Tesla price target raised to $788 from $516 at JMP Securities

JMP Securities analyst Joseph Osha raised the firm's price target on Tesla (TSLA) to $788 from $516 as he raised his 2025 unit delivery target for the company to 3.05M from 2.5M previously given that he now thinks total battery electric vehicle shipments in 2025 could make up 15.7% of global vehicle sales, which is up from his prior 14% assumption. The analyst, who keeps an Outperform rating on Tesla shares, compares the company to "other category-killer manufacturers" like Apple (AAPL) and Nvidia (NVDA). Osha estimates Tesla should be able to control about 45% of the addressable BEV market, excluding about 70% of China's EV sales, which would be down from 54% currently, he noted.

Read more at:
Tesla price target raised to $788 from $516 at JMP Securities TSLA - The Fly