Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lucky again, on a hunch. Order placed last week.

upload_2020-12-28_10-58-18.png

upload_2020-12-28_10-57-50.png

...in my sleep.

Unfortunately the political system makes a mockery of all these ambitious plans. Quite often these end up being nothing but window dressing. For example the make in India program was announced in 2015 and is considered a failure. It never did anything to improve manufacturing and reduce dependency on China.

Even for the products that are made in India a lot of the components come from China.

Look up “Made in India” program on Google. I think Elon has been very hesitant to enter the Indian market mostly because he wants the cars to be affordable and for affordability you have to manufacture these cars in India. It’s going to take time but that time is running out for the Indian government, really need some serious plans or else India will be left behind.

I've been doing business in India for years, so I'm very well versed on the "Make in India" program and the reality of it. We supply what is probably the most complicated market in India - railways - and secondly domestic automotive. There is currently a very strong push against China, with numerous sanctions against Chinese goods, etc. effectively put in place. A friend of mine in the textile business is having a great year with the massive influx of production departing China and moving to India.

I seriously hope Elon gets preferential treatment....

Regarding the second part of your text I fully agree, however, I would add serious robustness to affordability to be the key elements for an Indian Tesla offering.
Anyone that has ever driven (or been driven) in India will appreciate that.

There is also a serious challenge to be faced with the electric grid and charging at home,.., but this threatens to drift too far OT I fear.

I don't think it matters much. At this point Tesla just wants enough brand awareness so they can build a factory there. It's the cars produced in an Indian factory that will be the roaring success.

Fully agree! A couple of (NOT MADE IN CHINA :D) M3 or S/X to bide everyone's time while they build a factory (for cars or batteries or both) will be the key.

Solar will also be a super interesting opportunity for Tesla Energy in India. India has a huge and very robust grid-scale PV market.

Regarding the second part of your text I fully agree, however, I would add serious robustness to affordability to be the key elements for an Indian Tesla offering.
Anyone that has ever driven (or been driven) in India will appreciate that.

I've held a wish/dream for a compact Cybercar model based upon the folded Stainless Steel exoskeleton platform. Would that have "robustness" enough for the application? :D

If such were produced it could be very affordable and present a good value for all the same reasons that Cybertruck does.

Something like this would be a boon for the buyers with narrower roads and more abusive drivers to cope with. The advantages of a rugged compact could gain traction and carve out a good slice of the market pie. That would certainly be nice for those holding on to their chairs for dear life.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the political system makes a mockery of all these ambitious plans. Quite often these end up being nothing but window dressing. For example the make in India program was announced in 2015 and is considered a failure. It never did anything to improve manufacturing and reduce dependency on China.

Even for the products that are made in India a lot of the components come from China.

Look up “Made in India” program on Google. I think Elon has been very hesitant to enter the Indian market mostly because he wants the cars to be affordable and for affordability you have to manufacture these cars in India. It’s going to take time but that time is running out for the Indian government, really need some serious plans or else India will be left behind.

Go the indirect route to India, Bhutan.

Nepal, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka might be options. A quick google doesn't offer up any great trade deals except for Bhutan. Would be fascinating to see Bhutan skip whole generations/century of technology & go straight to Alien Dreadnaught TeraFactory for Solar, Storage & EVs

"So Larry, I've considered maybe combining my companies into a single conglomerate. I would then step down as CEO of Tesla to be Chief Technology Officer and chairman. That's not so different from what you did at Oracle. What do you think about that idea?"

What? It's not like Elon is going to fly to Ellison's private island to talk about something casual.

MT Newswires through InvestorsObserver - 18 minutes ago: Sector Update: Consumer Stocks Climbing on Monday

Excerpt:

Tesla (TSLA) was 1.2% higher, easing from a 3% gain earlier Monday that followed reports the electric automaker is looking to expand its presence in India early next year. Indian transportation and enterprise minister Nitin Gadkari told the Indian Express daily newspaper that Tesla could begin a sales launch for its Model 3 sedan within a few weeks and would then consider building an assembly and manufacturing facility in India depending on public response.

"So Larry, I've considered maybe combining my companies into a single conglomerate. I would then step down as CEO of Tesla to be Chief Technology Officer and chairman. That's not so different from what you did at Oracle. What do you think about that idea?"

What? It's not like Elon is going to fly to Ellison's private island to talk about something casual.
He couldn't have just emailed or Zoomed?

He couldn't have just emailed or Zoomed?

Elon's single day jaunt to meet Oracle chairman and fellow Tesla director and large Tesla stock holder Ellison in Hawaii must have been to discuss and be advised on an important matter that should not be leaked. :cool:

This may have to do with IP too, Apple may have tried to design something without using Qualcomm’s IP and couldn’t compete performance wise or at least couldn’t compete in the timeline they had. This same thing probably goes for Tesla too. No doubt ICE manufacturers tear it down but realize they can’t achieve it without infringing on copywrite law.
Patent law, not copyright law. But anyway, many court cases have demonstrated that you can't comply with the full 3/4/5G standards without using Qualcomm's patent portfolio (some of which are mine).

Elon's single day jaunt to meet Oracle chairman and fellow Tesla director and large Tesla stock holder Ellison in Hawaii must have been to discuss and be advised on an important matter that should not be leaked. :cool:
Maybe to get concurrence on a future stock split? That would be nice.:) Probably something mundane like future spending of $5B on another GF, this time in Indonesia.:rolleyes: Another company acquisition?

Care to share your MMD strategy?

Well, you haven't asked for a "winning" strategy, so here goes a random one: if there's a clear morning dip, buy at the money weekly calls, set a limit sell order a couple bucks over cost basis and forget about it. If it doesn't sell in the next few hours, sell either the whole lot or half (taking losses if that's where it's at).