Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, last time I checked you can't take cash or a vacation home with you either.

I keep hoping they will change the rules but each time the answer is the same.
Yes but i can get enjoyment and marginal utility out of the home... ... i do enjoy looking at the stock accounts but the utility is just not there ... and the fun fades after a while as you get greedy ... i have to keep coming to TMC investor thread for real enjoyment ....:rolleyes:
Happy New Year

Happy New Year!

:p:p:p:p:p:p
F4040590-F31A-4F3C-830B-E5FFE3DBDE09.jpeg

I'm glad I'm not the only degenerate junky desperate for his TSLA fix.
Lets see if I can channel my short sightedness.

Cutting prices, factory overflowing with cars, no deliveries.
BANKWUPCY !

I was thinking about that confusion this morning actually. The shorts are using an extremely basic understanding of economics and business. In their minds if you have demand you keep prices stead, you lower prices if you need to increase demand. Duh right? That means you are giving up profits. Yeah that's correct if you are making a widget that has a one time sale and that's it.

The issue is Tesla vehicles (and many other consume products) aren't like that. Tesla has many reasons why they would prefer to sell more cars at a lower price. Some of those reasons are to increase FSD data collection, allowing them to scale production, bringing in revenue from FSD subscriptions, future app revenue, and the free advertising their vehicles bring, increasing market share to keep competitors off balance. Last but not least, the mission.

Never thought in a million years I'd feel so much appreciation and gratitude to an online group of random strangers. You all have truly changed my life. You've collectively guided me towards a million dollars, while at the same time giving me the value of a four-year, broad-based college education in just over 13 months.

Neither of my parents went to college--my father was an auto mechanic who owned his own shop, my mother a secretary at a welding company for over 30 years. They divorced when I was 5. Money was always an issue growing up, and I lived homeless in my vehicle for almost a year in my early twenties while I chased my dream of being a pro cyclist. Then I went to college and got two biology degrees which left me with about $30K in debt. So I know deep in my bones the value of money and what it can do if it isn't squandered.

My position is that working towards a sustainable, pollution-free future is not altruism but enlightened self-interest. Everything benefits when everything is healthier, so I will try to pay you all back by working towards a cleaner, greener planet.

Happy and healthy New Year to you all. Looking forward to more laughs and more free education.

-Brad

I was thinking about that confusion this morning actually. The shorts are using an extremely basic understanding of economics and business. In their minds if you have demand you keep prices stead, you lower prices if you need to increase demand. Duh right? That means you are giving up profits. Yeah that's correct if you are making a widget that has a one time sale and that's it.

The issue is Tesla vehicles (and many other consume products) aren't like that. Tesla has many reasons why they would prefer to sell more cars at a lower price. Some of those reasons are to increase FSD data collection, allowing them to scale production, bringing in revenue from FSD subscriptions, future app revenue, and the free advertising their vehicles bring, increasing market share to keep competitors off balance. Last but not least, the mission.
let me save you all the extra words

The Mission
is the only reason ... it is actually very simple to align the company with a shared mission ...its the mission stupid ... not even the batterieso_O

Edit : My name is Zero CO2 and I am a TSLA junkie.... and i plan to continue this addiction into 2021

Last edited:

And, how else would you build a world wide MONOPOLY !

It's also a bit more than that. They think of the economy pie as a fixed number so the more people and businesses there are the less each one has. They don't realize the growth potential of research and development. So their assumption is that only the P/E numbers count. How many job types today didn't exist in 1950? Half? Three quarters? They missed that part.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberDutchie
Here’s a proper send off for 2020!

C2FC54E2-DB74-4C55-A2D5-6ABC8473D5DC.gif

I do feel a twinge of guilt for becoming a multi-Teslanaire during a year filled with such sorrow and loss, but I take great comfort knowing that I’ve invested in a visionary leader and his company which is leading the way to a sustainable future that will save and enrich lives in numbers that will dwarf the toll from this infernal Covid pandemic.

Yesterday I hit my TSLA trigger point and turned a significant portion of my paper gains into cash. Those profits will in turn allow me to buy a dream ocean view villa overlooking Surin Beach in Phuket, Thailand. In no small part I have this forum and its many stellar contributors to thank for helping me turn this longstanding dream into reality! And don’t worry, I still have lots of shares to HODL and reinforce until around 2025! I’ll just do so now from the comfort of an infinity-edged pool while enjoying the sublime sunsets of the Andaman Sea. :)

Here’s to a safe and prosperous 2021 for all my fellow TMCers!

Cheers,

Bill

Attachments

• 0FD2E9C3-994A-44B0-95E1-6059087ECBF2.gif
    0FD2E9C3-994A-44B0-95E1-6059087ECBF2.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
It's amazing how many spouses are in the dark. My wife knew we were all in on Tesla a few years ago, but didn't realize what it did to our fortunes until 3-4 months ago.

I'm not married but back in 2019 when I made the decision to go all in on TSLA my girlfriend thought I was insane. I'd been thinking about it since 2017 but didn't have the balls to do it until December 2019. It had doubled by February 2020 and she strongly urged me to sell it all and count my blessings, but I firmly believed Tesla was still only starting to grow and I intended to hold the stock for a great many years.

Then the March dip happened and she constantly reminded me how stupid I was.

Then the recovery happened and she once again urged me to sell it all.

Through it all I held fast, determined to stick to my plan which I still to this day feel is 100% justified.

Then I became a Teslanaire.

Then the split happened, then S&P inclusion, and today the stock sits at $3500 split adjusted per share.

She is finally convinced I know what I am doing and she no longer gives me investment advice. :cool:

Happy New Year to all of you at TMC, thanks for the intellectual discussions and advice! I hope 2021 is as good financially to us all as 2020 was! :)

Cross-posting from Model X thread, a data point for 2021 Model X potential refresh:

We have a Model X ordered (actually trading in a Signature Model X from 2016 as part of the deal), and we dilly-dallied the configuration and trade-in so much that we missed delivery in 2020. It didn't bother me so much as I am hopeful about the refresh. This morning I saw a new projected delivery date of February 19 - March 19, and no additional news. The waiting begins...

New Energy Outlook 2020 | BNEF

NEO 2020 Executive Key Messages
:

1. In our core Economic Transition Scenario, global carbon emissions from energy use drop 8% in 2020 and now appear to have peaked in 2019. They rise again with economic recovery toward 2027 but then decline 0.7% year-on-year to 2050, putting the world on track for 3.3 degrees of warming in 2100. To keep global warming well below two degrees, emissions need to fall 10 times faster, at 6% year-on-year to 2050. For 1.5 degrees, the required rate is 10%. In total, Covid-19 subtracts some 2.5 years’ worth of aggregate emissions over the next 30 years.

2. Wind and PV grow to meet 56% of world electricity demand in 2050, with batteries, flexible demand and peakers in support. Leading countries go as high as 70-80% before hitting economic limits. Wind retakes the lead from solar.

3. Renewables and batteries capture 80% of the total $15.1 trillion invested in new power capacity. Around $2 trillion or 13% is invested by households and businesses. Asia Pacific attracts 45% of all new capital. To enable the power system of the future, $14 trillion in grid investment is needed between now and 2050.

4. Oil demand peaks in 2035 and then falls 0.7% year-on-year to return to 2018 levels in 2050. Electric vehicles (EVs) reach upfront price parity with Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles before 2025, spurring faster adoption thereafter. The growth of EVs offsets demand growth in aviation, shipping and petrochemicals, and shapes the future of oil.

5. Gas is the only fossil fuel to grow continuously through the outlook, gaining 0.5% year-on-year to 2050. Cumulative growth of 33% in buildings and 23% in industry is balanced by declining gas use in power where consumption peaked in 2019 – although gas-fired power capacity continues to grow worldwide. Cheap gas ultimately slows the energy transition in the United States.

6. Coal demand peaked in 2018 and collapses to 18% of primary energy by mid-century, from 26% today. It is in freefall across Europe and the U.S. Coal-fired power peaks in China in 2027 and in India in 2030. But, despite improvements in energy efficiency and recycling, primary coal demand continues to grow in industry.

7. In the NEO Climate Scenario, our clean electricity and hydrogen pathway requires 100,000TWh of power generation by 2050. This power system is 6-8 times bigger than today’s, has double the peak demand, and generates five times the electricity. Two-thirds of this electricity goes to direct electricity provision in transport, industry and buildings. The rest is used to manufacture green hydrogen.

8. Green hydrogen provides just under a quarter of total final energy in 2050 under our Climate Scenario. This needs 800Mt of fuel and 36,000TWh of electricity – that’s 38% more power than is produced in the world today. This could be met with a further 14TW of renewables or 4TW of new nuclear. The renewable route might be cheaper but land is an issue.

9. Reducing emissions well below two degrees under our clean electricity and green hydrogen pathway requires between $78 trillion and $130 trillion of new investment between now and 2050. That’s around $64 trillion on power generation and the electricity grid for direct electricity provision, and between $14 trillion and $66 trillion on hydrogen manufacturing, transport and storage.

I'm still reading the full report, but 2050 is slow compared to what's gonna happen once Biden gets inaugurated...

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 8.00.37 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Never thought in a million years I'd feel so much appreciation and gratitude to an online group of random strangers. You all have truly changed my life. You've collectively guided me towards a million dollars, while at the same time giving me the value of a four-year, broad-based college education in just over 13 months.

Neither of my parents went to college--my father was an auto mechanic who owned his own shop, my mother a secretary at a welding company for over 30 years. They divorced when I was 5. Money was always an issue growing up, and I lived homeless in my vehicle for almost a year in my early twenties while I chased my dream of being a pro cyclist. Then I went to college and got two biology degrees which left me with about $30K in debt. So I know deep in my bones the value of money and what it can do if it isn't squandered.

My position is that working towards a sustainable, pollution-free future is not altruism but enlightened self-interest. Everything benefits when everything is healthier, so I will try to pay you all back by working towards a cleaner, greener planet.

Happy and healthy New Year to you all. Looking forward to more laughs and more free education.

-Brad

We have similar stories, including the cycling. I was lucky enough to see TSLA fairly early on and get in with a large amount, I've basically held since then and have more shares than when I started. I got into cycling after college so wasn't chasing the "pro" dream at that time but did race at the top amateur level against the Pros including Lance near the end of his career (still race when I'm motivated enough to get in shape). Cycling ended up being my business for a while, promoting, coaching, officiating etc. Now I'm full time investor (Real Estate). I did the homeless thing in my Teens. Only person in my family ever to attend or graduate college. Nice work, keep it up.