Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @FrankSG for everything you contribute here!

I personally think a lot of people are in a similar situation that I am in that they were waiting for the new year to move some money around and into TSLA. I had a couple of "small" investments that had yearly dividends that hit late December then I need to cash those out and didnt want to take the gains in 2020 so I waited until 2021. Once they funds cleared and got into my investment brokerage I could then invest them into TSLA.

(I have a 'fair' amount in TSLA investment account already and in hindsight I wouldn't have moved over in Oct/Nov instead of waiting it out to get the guaranteed dividend gains at the end of the year. d'oh!)

I can see the SP continue to rise as people are a little slower but doing the same as me, plus with the potential $2k stimulus check coming I can see others investing that into TSLA due to FOMO.

Thank you!

I reckon the biggest reason for this move is the fact that everybody who wanted to sell, got a pretty good chance to do so on S&P inclusion day. It once again should've further weeded out whatever 'weak longs' were left, and further strengthened the average conviction, and increased the average price target, of all TSLA shareholders.

It'll be interesting to see where this revaluation train that left the station about a year ago stops. I'm no longer betting on it going further, and am now 100% common stock, but there are a lot of high conviction shareholders in this stock, and valid arguments can be made for very high valuations, so who knows.

I sold TSLA durring the S&P 500 entry.... Thought all the gains were priced in due to the 50% run up.
Please help!
I am having a hard time thinking I can still buy back in (although with allot less shares)
dollar cost average your way back in .. and yes you will likely have less shares for the $capital... consider it an expensive lesson

Unsolicited confession from me. Might help, but probably won't.
In March-April 2020 all my businesses halted due to you know what right after making all time high profits. I also just invested sugnificant capital and time in a new one that had to be closed as well. Did not have enough reserves to survive a year and there was no gov help in sight (only in the headlines).
Had to sell first shares since 2013 just to make some reserves. Sold in a couple of tranches around 600-650 if I remember correctly.
Some time after, got a tiny gov help (ppp loan and a small grant from local gov - all in all a joke of a money but still something) but more importantly scaled a completely new line of business in a new environment.
Felt much better and re-bought some TSLA at about 900-950. This is the part of investment I'm most proud about now, because I feel like I had a good judgement in both cases - when sold and when re-bought.
You shouldnt feel ashamed of such a confession. No one here is going to look down on someone who had to sell some TSLA to get by.

I sold TSLA durring the S&P 500 entry.... Thought all the gains were priced in due to the 50% run up.
Please help!
I am having a hard time thinking I can still buy back in (although with allot less shares)

Maybe buy ARK funds instead? Sell a put in the mean time? Anything could happen at anytime but you might have to wait a while.

After-action Report: Thu, Jan 07, 2021: (Full Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Ran; FB Ban"

Traded: $41,248,210,394.02 ($41.28B)
Volume: 51,518,744
VWAP: $800.64

Close: $816.04 / VWAP: 102.09%
TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP
TSLA MaxPain (7:00 A.M.): $715 (+$15 from Wed)

TSLA S&P 500 Weight: 1.813857% (Jan 06)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / FB $773.525B / $765.449B = 101.06%
Note: Yahoo Finance yet to update TSLA Mkt Cap re shares issued Dec 11th (SEC Filing)
CEO Comp. Status: (est'd Mkt Cap including Dec 11th shares)

TSLA 30-day Closing Avg Market Cap: $646.14B
TSLA 6-mth Closing Avg Market Cap: $424.37B

Mkt Cap req'd for 7th tranche ($400B) likely achieved on Tue, Dec 29, 2020
Nota Bene: Operational milestones are req'd for this tranche.
'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 50.4% (49th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short / Total Volume = 60.5% (56th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt ratio was 1.47% of Short Volume (53rd Percentile Rank Exempt)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 202101-07.png

Comment: "Spak/RBC capitulates; Shortz duck'n'cover A/hrs" :p

QOTD: Arianna Huffington (Aug 20, 2018) "What you're doing just won't work"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Forward Observer

My wife pushed up the date of our wedding ~ she is legal ~ to 30Dec73 as a tax advantage. As I reminded her of the event; I paused and I said “you paid taxes”? As an enlisted soldier, I never made enough to pay taxes. Same with part time work in conjunction with the GI Bill.

Today, today ~ as I was cracking crab for dinner, she expressed the desire to go on an around the world cruise. Seeing my penny pinching look as I turned on her; she said, “why not, we earned enough today for two world cruises.” Once I finish this I will review the brochure ~ what else can I do:rolleyes:

Just woke up, wondered why the price was up so much. Read 20 pages of unread posts here. Not a single one of them answered my question. Imo way to much OT recently...

So why did the price increase 9% today?

Trump's goon sieging the capitol was the worst news for American history, but the best news for the market. It was seen as a climax of political turmoil which resulted in universal condemnation from all parties. All it took was an attempt to overthrow a government. Now the resolution is concede and go home. So this was one more looming issue that has passed.

This day has ended in bitter disappointment. I tore myself away from the monitor to have a nice celebratory dinner, picked up some Woodford Reserve on the way home, and then get back online to find that the AH price hasn't budged. WTF! I expected it to be nearing 900 by now.

On top of that I don't have any BTC at all. Just this lousy TSLA that seems to have gotten stuck at 833. What's the world coming to? I've been at this stock thing for over a year now and it is hard to tell if it is worth all the fuss.

At least the Woodford is tasty. My first try of it. I'm just going to drown my sorrows and see what tomorrow brings.

Oh, and my chairs did finally bust the half Teslanaire level, so I guess it ain't all bad. Though there is the fact that tomorrow is Friday and it will be another weekend to get through after that. Hardly worth getting up in the morning, is it?

I always find it weird that so many people in tesla are also keen on bitcoin. They seem like total opposites. Tesla is physically building useful stuff, and working hard to reduce our dependence on fossil fuel energy, and is obsessed with efficiency, efficiency, efficiency.
Bitcoin is a currency you cant use, based on burning energy to do pointless cpu-grinding calculations and has a colossal, wasteful carbon footprint.

I just don't see the venn diagram with anyone in both camps, unless they are climate-change deniers who like fast cars maybe?
Tech innovations with high volatility. Attractive to gamblers who think they are technically insightful.

I have to confess I made a stupid trade last Monday.
I would be very happy if I could sell my position at $1000 on SP500 inclusion day before I experienced this week's rise. However, I'm painful right now since I just sold 25% covered call at $1000 and 25% covered call at $1100 for January 2022. I'm struggling to buy shares back for my covered and keep holding my whole 100% position till 2025 or just pray that the share price will not touch the strike price but .....

Today I made the mistake of reading the comment sections on several articles about Elon Musk being the richest man in the world. It was staggering the amount of ignorance about Tesla and Elon, in addition to overall malice towards an American company trying to help the climate crisis. Everything was: that bubble, that PE ratio, they only sell x amount of cars compared to other car companies, I'm going to short them, it's all a scam...

It made me really thankful for this forum and to share in the views of rational people that understand what is really going on.

If you made money from your picks, then you are better than 90% of them. The majority of people don't know a thing about how wall street values a stock, including many clowns that show up on TV. Only 5% of investors can beat the S&P. Just think about the exclusive club most of us are in. So when you read those comments, just laugh and shrug it off. I know I know..I fall into the trap of replying because it's like watching a bunch of people about to get hit by a train in slow motion. Sometimes I give up and just let them be as I make money from selling them rope during the short squeeze.

Shocking But True: 90% People Lose Money In Stocks – Research & Ranking (researchandranking.com)

More evidence that it’s very hard to ‘beat the market’ over time, 95% of finance professionals can’t do it | American Enterprise Institute - AEI

My “trading” desk is two leaves of our dining room table put together with legs. What the hell is that about?

Who has an awesome desk? What should I aspire to?

P.S. - I’m totally serious, and I can’t think of a better group to ask how to waste a stupid amount of money on a desk. If island shopping is on topic, then this sure is. I’m not looking for pics of you trading by the pool, I want an actual desk.