Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My “trading” desk is two leaves of our dining room table put together with legs. What the hell is that about?

Who has an awesome desk? What should I aspire to?

P.S. - I’m totally serious, and I can’t think of a better group to ask how to waste a stupid amount of money on a desk. If island shopping is on topic, then this sure is. I’m not looking for pics of you trading by the pool, I want an actual desk.

$70,000 Tesla Model S turned into office desk named ‘Deskla’ : Luxurylaunches

How about a Deskla ?

tesla-model-s-office-desk-7.jpg

Gosh darn it Tesla releases the SR Model Y right after the stock goes up 2 Gordos and now it’s gonna do it again tmrw.......WTF!!! My girlfriend and I put on the boogie wonderland tune every time it hits ATH.....my feet are killin me.

And just after that news passes, there should be an announcement about the S+X changes coming by Monday.

Last thing we heard, Apple was using lidar and probably 3-D maps...

Even if they sort out the car manufacture, batteries, sensor suite, software etc, I can't see where they are getting the training data to solve vision.

It may happen mainly because car makers realize they need help with software and FSD, and the flip side is Apple has no current ability to make or distribute cars. So there is synergy there, but not the kind of synergy that seems likely to deliver a timely FSD competitor.
It all seems to be happening about 5 years too late.

I think Waymo has exponentially more of a chance than Apple does at this point when it comes to autonomy. Apple is that far behind. Like you said, is gonna take them years to get the car just into trial production and then another couple years for volume production.....just to be able to start collecting data.

It doesn’t matter anyways, Waymo itself is already years behind in data collection and is falling further behind every single day as Tesla delivery volume grows and thus more and more data get collected every day verses the prior day....and Tesla gets more variety of data. This games over at this point. Waymo’s changing of their wording to me is the writing on the wall for how strongly they believe in their “solution” to autonomy

I mean who's going to pick a Ford Mach E for 43k/230mi of range v/s a Tesla Model Y at 42k/240mi.

The Ford does qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit, but you have to add a $2,600 package to make it more comparable to the Model Y. (Power lift gate, ADAS features, etc.)

But the SR Model Y is going to take a lot of wind out of the "competitors" sails.

Air pollution may contribute to Alzheimer’s and dementia risk – here's what we're learning from brain scans

Another reason for a Biden administration to introduce more EV & renewable energy subsidies. What a relief he got the senate also

Wow! That might explain that weird anomaly that happened at the Capital yesterday! I'm still trying to figure out what made those people gather and enter like that. Weird stuff! We gotta get those brain-damaging ICE cars off the road before everybody's like that and our democracy implodes!

Lots of folks knew the RWD/SR Y was coming from Bill Wrights posts (he works at GFN) last month.
See for example:

https://twitter.com/BillWri90307793/status/1339479224390799361

Where he originally kinda leaked it Dec 17

and then:

https://twitter.com/BillWri90307793/status/1344246733379751936

Bill replying to Troy with a "Yet" on the SR Y not being released

What's weird is Elon previously said (July I think) that they hadn't released one because range would be <250 miles which is unacceptably low and instead they'd do an LR with a single motor as the cheaper option.... and on the Q3 call Elon (responding to Rob Mauers question this) said going forward they'd consider 300 kind of the minimum acceptable EV range...

But now they're releasing a single-motor SR instead with...range <250 miles (not by much, and I think the offered range is just fine for most folks- but still odd in context of what he said earlier... )

Possibly they just weren't saving enough on doing an LR RWD to make it worth existing- or possibly they figure 244 IS acceptable after all since (as Rob noted when he asked the question on the Q3 call) by using less cells in an SR helps a company that is still gonna be battery limited going forward because overall demand is gonna remain so high going forward).
I think this is the same deal as MR M3 again.

4680 cell is not ready yet, so there’s no plan to upgrade Fremont MY to structural pack anytime soon.

Meanwhile they have giga press running so possibly has significantly higher capacity for Y body, which led Y to be 21700 cell constrained, making a smaller pack would allow them to make more cars, so be it.

Last edited:
If you own stock instead of selling try using a trailing stop at maybe $30 below the current price. This will allow you to ride the wave up, but knowing you have a lever in place to get you out. The only issue with this strategy is it can drop overnight and you have no control in that situation.

I would never, ever use a trailing stop-loss with TSLA or ANY solid growth company (even if I thought it was wildly over-valued). I might sell it but I wouldn't use a trailing stop loss. That's assuming I had a real position of value and not just play shares for fun (which I typically don't do anyway).

One week ago - last Thursday we closed at $705.

A few minutes ago today in the after market I saw $834.

A one week difference of $129.

Or up $645 in one week in pre split money.

I warned people about this compounding effect back in 2019 and early 2020 but it happened much faster than even I thought it would.:eek::eek:

This 244 mile model Y shows that Tesla is still predominantly battery constrained. They could easily have packed some more cells and increased range for a RWD Long Range

Or or... seeing how the likes of Ford and VW have stuttered across the line to pack the same amount of range - the brains at Tesla possibly think they can move more volume at this price and beat the competition while at it ( with far fewer cells - still helps with the battery constraint)

I mean who's going to pick a Ford Mach E for 43k/230mi of range v/s a Tesla Model Y at 42k/240mi.

edit - just verified prices.
Competition is coming? It is dead before arrival.
View attachment 625526

Assuming I like Ford over Tesla Y, where would one charge for long distance travel, this is not a small matter it is a serious problem. In the US Northeast very few non Tesla charger available. May be west coast is better.