Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't 100% up to date, but suggests that an $815.01 - $819.99 close would please THEM tremendously

upload_2021-1-15_21-10-46.png

Here is a video on how Tesla may affect Austin and what's happened to the Austin job and real estate markets the last 15+ years. Joe Tegtmeyer is interviewed along with some local headhunters and a long-time east Austin real estate agent.

Not a fluff piece. Much of it isn't about Tesla.

A Gigafactory Comes to Austin: The Story of Tesla in Texas' Weirdest City

OOF. Those are some of the worst panel gaps and mis-alignments of panels I have seen in the past few years from Tesla.

Sandy is right, if Tesla wants to take more market share, this is a stupid easy thing to fix, and frankly is just unacceptable.
I myself coming from a Quality Control background believe it's production engineers, probably a V.P. that's the problem. Supervisors are told to increase production to hit targets. Q.C. can flag these vehicles but production engineers can override this. That's how it worked in my 16 years of experience in a previous job.

Tesla is using service center personnel to fix what could easily be done at Fremont. Shanghai btw doesn't have these issues. Someone in China is making this the #1 priority. Get this person to Fremont asap.

Today was the deadline for the 100 million security deposit for Giga Berlin and Tesla stil has not paid. Deadline was extended by another 5 days. Not a good look on Tesla IMHO. Google Translate

In more interesting news, Tesla has finally made an application for cell production at Giga Berlin!
I was too quick, the application is only for a huge warehouse which is expected to be used for cell production eventually:
Google Translate
This might be a trick to get around environmentalists´concerns about water, hope theses tactics don´t backfire in the end.

This second article also has more details on the security deposit issue:

By Friday, Tesla should actually provide the country with a 100 million euro deposit for any dismantling costs. As the PNN learned in the evening, this security question has now been resolved - after a poker game for details until the last minute. Previously, at the request of the US company, the State Environment Agency had extended it again - until January 20. "It is assumed that a final agreement on the provision of the security will be available shortly," it said in the amended notification of January 15, 2021.

Last edited:
Here is a video on how Tesla may affect Austin and what's happened to the Austin job and real estate markets the last 15+ years. Joe Tegtmeyer is interviewed along with some local headhunters and a long-time east Austin real estate agent.

Not a fluff piece. Much of it isn't about Tesla.

A Gigafactory Comes to Austin: The Story of Tesla in Texas' Weirdest City
I've visited Austin a lot over the years. At least 20 trips. 15 years ago musicians and others living there had already complained for at least 10 years about gentrification. Granted it's just getting worse but nothing really new.

In Macro news, CDC has a new report on the new covid variant in 10 states now. It's not good considering a difficult 100 million doses in 100 days ahead.

I'm thinking Mr. Market is going to weigh in soon. Long weekend for folks to catch up on the chaos. If it tanks, I'm going to just plug my nose, hold my breath, and TSLA will be right back to save our planet in peril. I might lower my next buy in case there's a better entry point in the next 2 weeks (but maybe not).

Emergence of SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.7 Lineage ...

This is gonna get pushed down to the mid 700’s over the next days/weeks, we’ve seen this before. Run-up prior to earnings, volume dries up, effort to push down as much as possible, media inflating “Wallstreet’s consensus number” to neutralize any earnings surprise. Day after earnings small gain, week after earnings more gain to end back to where we started.
Generally I like this logic, but IMO there's still a backdrop of buying by benchmark funds. And also, who exactly is going to sell? All this buying can't reverse, it's locked away now.

These pushdowns are manufactured and usually unwind, either 50% or 150%, we'll find out on Tues/Wed. Smells like normal opportunistic pushdown on zero volume to me. MM's taking advantage of the doldrums prior to Wednesday.

Reactions: gene and mickificki
It's weird that they aren't paying up when Tesla clearly has more than enough to do it. Is delaying a few days to the 20th really worth it?
Absolutely. Banks and other financial institutions make additional millions (at a minimum) every year by delaying outgoing funds by a day or two.

Assuming the 4680-cell structural pack architecture is confirmed for the Model S (and X), it just occurred to me that these product lines will have completely skipped the 2170 cells, and will not have benefitted from all the advantages that accompanied the 18650 -> 2170 transition.

And so, while still on the 18650s, the Model S continued to be at the top in terms of EV performance; that is very telling for the amount of energy efficiency and power output Tesla's engineers were able to squeeze out of that drivetrain.

But it also means that transitioning to the 4680s will bring HUGE benefits in terms of range and power performance for an equivalent battery pack (100 kWh).

We're in for some very nice surprises if the 4680-cell pack is confirmed, I think!

This is an over-interpretation. While it is true that no Model S/X has shipped with 2170 cells, there is no reason why Tesla would not introduce improvements in chemistry to both formats.

This is gonna get pushed down to the mid 700’s over the next days/weeks, we’ve seen this before. Run-up prior to earnings, volume dries up, effort to push down as much as possible, media inflating “Wallstreet’s consensus number” to neutralize any earnings surprise. Day after earnings small gain, week after earnings more gain to end back to where we started.
The dip would have happened massively already. This week was a terrible week. Macros all week were weak, Tesla had some recalls, and we had major run ups past 2 weeks prior which means this week was suppose to be bad to begin with. With all that Tesla seems to dip very little in the grand scheme of things. Back in the days Tesla dipped more on positive news. Hell I think we dipped more the few days after knock out earnings.