Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm rich!!!

Wait..I'm poor:(

tenor (6).gif

The power consumption difference would be negligible compared to everything else. Even if the current Intel SoC was using 60W (it's not, mobile applications tend to target sub-15W), that's not much gain when pushed down to say 5W. It's less power than even the seat heaters would use.

The TPU's use way more power and is a better target to upgrade.

I expect those will be as well.

But vampire drain on the cars is still a real thing, and a decent chunk of it is attributable to the MCU which needs to have some level of capability even while parked.

It seems that the newer cars with the Atom-based MCU's are better in this regard, but nonetheless, the cars can still lose several miles per day.

Tesla has been very aggressive in vertically integrating where it gives them some advantage economically or technologically. It's why they went with their own chips for the FSD computer, rather than continue with Nvidia.

If Tesla could gain some (even small) efficiencies in FLOPS/watt while at the same time avoid paying Intel the overhead for buying CPU's, I'd bet they consider it.

It would also allow them to be master of their own destiny on this front to a large extent. As they own the whole software stack for the MCU, they could license the ARM IP and design the chip that best matches their specific needs in a way most other automotive companies likely would not be able to.

Oh for sure but I'm also saying that it's not nearly as much as you think it is. When I say 15W, that's the design TDP which is when the unit is actually doing work. Unless Tesla completely screwed up, it's much less than that on idle, not even sleep mode which should be less than 1W.

Simply having a subprocessor dedicated for Sentry Mode would be a huge power saver that would be far more noticeable.

It appears the heavy buying was probably TSLA specific (anticipation of earnings), whereas the selloff started with the MMD which was then exacerbated by macro forces. Macros recovering, and TSLA along with it.

Time to pause? Wall St. grows wary of some stock bubbles | reuters.com

"Wall Street is abuzz about stock market bubbles as surges in the share prices of some loss-making firms, red-hot public markets and amateur investors chasing stocks at frothy valuations spark fears of a pullback."

11:17am EST​

Dos Equis Guy.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. Any news other than the fact the market is clearly broken? lol
I saw some things on yahoo like "GME just nearly took down the market with it until it trade-halted" .. ;)

Edit: it was the 4th trade-halt on GME today already. All because of pushdowns of >10% in under 5 minutes (i.e. Volatility halt).
Trading GME currently is like: trade 5 mins, wait 5 mins for halt to clear, trade 5 mins .. ;)

And i guess many people are shuffling meme-stocks around .. like .. gains of GME into TSLA or sell TSLA to pump more into GME .. & all the repurcussions this has on the option-market, market-makers, hegde-funds etc.