Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So basically unless the other US automakers get their powertrain/batteries from an American company, looks like all the vehicles will be Tesla UNLESS they lobby a bunch of fake news into this. Biden pretty much up the requirements of what it means by American made, meaning the most important aspect of the car like powertrain must be American, and upping the amount of parts required to be more than 50% American vs being at least 50% before.

As a Mexican fellow once reminded me when mentioning the United States, that Mexico is the United States of Mexico (Estados Unitos de Mexico). So, he asked, which United States was I referring to?

Likewise, "America" includes North America, Central America, and South America. Maybe GM and others can wiggle into those parameters for being "American" under a similar interpretation. :rolleyes:

Just realized we'll get the TSLA short interest report through Jan 15th at 4pm Wednesday. So we can check number of short shares outstanding.....then 10 minutes later Elon lights the fuse. Gonna be hilarious, what great timing!

I'd love to see it at 65M+, or even still above 60M.
My way back machine says we did not get that report on 1/15

Tesla can barely supply public demand, it’s not like the government can go get thousands of Tesla’s off a lot somewhere, maybe all those Chevy Bolts Ross Gerber was saying he would never drive. I hope Tesla can start pumping out a lot batteries soon as they’re going to be in high demand.
I'm pretty sure that an federal fleet purchase would be from one of the big 3, despite the manufacturer content rules. The optics matter. The upside is that their lower range offerings will elevate tesla's cars. Plus tesla is a California company, which is close to the US, and by the time it gets situated in Texas, Texas will have seceded from the nation...

As a Mexican fellow once reminded me when mentioning the United States, that Mexico is the United States of Mexico (Estados Unitos de Mexico). So, he asked, which United States was I referring to?

Likewise, "America" includes North America, Central America, and South America. Maybe GM and others can wiggle into those parameters for being "American" under a similar interpretation. :rolleyes:
Gonna be hard to convince Biden that Korea is part of the America's.
There's also the interpretation of manufactured or assembled. The Bolt was designed in Korea, the battery and drivetrain are manufactured in Korea, and is assembled in Michigan with less than 20% domestic content. Not certain but I don't think they even use their own software.
GM has done very little manufacturing outside of engines and transmissions. Their plants are called assembly plants for a reason.

Gonna be hard to convince Biden that Korea is part of the America's.
There's also the interpretation of manufactured or assembled. The Bolt was designed in Korea, the battery and drivetrain are manufactured in Korea, and is assembled in Michigan with less than 20% domestic content. Not certain but I don't think they even use their own software.
GM has done very little manufacturing outside of engines and transmissions. Their plants are called assembly plants for a reason.
Lobbyist will lobby. It doesn't take too much to convince them of anything. They can claim they are part of a labor union while Tesla is anti-union. They have been relying on current government contracts which means a cancellation will cause jobs..and Biden doesn't want closed plants with job loss right? Also they can BS about how GM workers are more blue collar, none of those silicon valley rich billionaires type who thinks they control the world. Also did you hear how Elon Musk 10x his wealth on the backs of Covid deaths?

I can go on all day where facts doesn't really matter..optics matters. It's politics.

Tesla can barely supply public demand, it’s not like the government can go get thousands of Tesla’s off a lot somewhere, maybe all those Chevy Bolts Ross Gerber was saying he would never drive. I hope Tesla can start pumping out a lot batteries soon as they’re going to be in high demand.
I do think the production of the 3 will catch up demand without incentives and if model Y production keeps growing. The Model 3 would fill many government roles.

Why the hell does GM need to be the "new" center of the world....Tesla already is. :) WTF is with these politicians!?! Seriously. Why are they so scared to mention Tesla?
UAW gave over 2 million to Schumer's PAC and IBEW also gave over 2 million. GM gave over 3 million in "total" campaign contributions. To be fair here is Tesla Tesla Motors Profile: Summary an edit: Tesla didn't make any pac contributions in this last election cycle.

Last edited:
Why the hell does GM need to be the "new" center of the world....Tesla already is. :) WTF is with these politicians!?! Seriously. Why are they so scared to mention Tesla?
Jpmorgan Chase will come out with a new price target for Tesla of 10 dollars.

Tesla sales will be zero by 2030 due to the Chinese government supporting Nio
Tesla sales in the U.S will be zero by 2030 due to the American government supporting GM

Fresh new high. Glorious.

Equally as glorious is watching the internet conspire to destroy these hedge fund parasite short sellers. (GME) Good times.

The First Casualty Of The Big Short Squeeze: Melvin Capital Gets $2.75BN Bailout From Citadel, Point72 After Its Shorts Explode | ZeroHedge

"With dozens of heavily shorted (by hedge funds) stocks exploding higher in recent days, it was only a matter of time before the first casualty of said bull raid emerged, and thanks to the WSJ we now have the first name.

Melvin Capital, which we learned last week had suffered massive losses on its shorts, is set to receive a $2.75 billion capital injection from hedge fund giants Citadel and Point72 and investors (in what appears to be a bailout so Mevlin Capital founder Gabe Plotkin, a former star portfolio manager for Steven Cohen, could pay his margin call).

In other words, 16-year-old Robinhood traders 1 - "star" hedge fund portfolio manager 0. In yet other words, hedge funds are now bailing out other hedge funds (in which they have invested money), who have been steamrolled by the Robinhood Gen-Z "buy everything" juggernaut."
:p