Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to order the new Plaid Model X for about 20 minutes. The payment page is broken.
BAF!

You and me both. The configurator isn't working exactly correctly (no prices shown), but I've tried to order my Plaid X a half dozen times. I guess that's a good sign if it's because of demand crashing the site, as opposed to it not being ready for primetime yet.

Other than the refresh, I'm a little disappointed in the margins (and hence profit). It will be interesting to hear if that's just due to price cuts or something else.

The guidance of >750K is "ok", but if they'd put an actual number on it, it may have a bigger impact. The street doesn't like fuzzy.

And Energy looks to be on track to break out big in '21. Very good results for them.

OK some early feedback.

* The Model S+X now have the interior camera for Tesla Network FSD ridesharing.
* The website updates haven't all completed yet. There are some broken and unfinished bits e.g. "potential savings"
* Model S base model and lower Plaid IMO have the "smaller" battery pack size and are shippable now. Lower Plaid version simply has the tri-motor drivetrain for more oomph but it can't draw as much current as the Plaid+ which has more batteries.
* base model S range has only increased by 3 miles over the 409 miles which has been on the Monroney stickers for weeks. I am sure this number will increase over time with "drivetrain software optimisations." Also it indicates that the car may have less kWh than the old 100kWh pack, e.g. 90 or 95kWh.

EDIT: if the lower two trims are continuing with 18650 batteries perhaps that explains the small increase in range to 412 miles

* The steering wheel is controversial. Expect to see... controversy. Especially with "no stalks." I myself will want to test drive it 'cos at the moment I don't believe I will like it!!!
* very subtle changes too the bodywork overall, probably because it was pretty good to start with.
* Rear screen gaming - is this a new software platform as far as developers are concerned?
* Charging speed has not been announced but we can assume 250kW and much more charging at that high rate. I assume Plaid+ with larger battery can go higher, per Cybertruck reveal
* Model X cargo capacity has increased from 88 to 91cu.ft. Doesn't seem like Model S has larger capacity.
* Model S 3rd-row seat option nowhere to be seen... did they punt for some future time? There is supposed to be more room available

Last edited:
So I guess they’re no question about that steering wheel staying in the Roadster most likely, and Cybertruck possibly. I knew Sandy was concerned about off-roading with that wheel, But I like it.
I'm starting to think the Plaid+ is a signal that the Roadster is going to be held back for a while longer.

Also, with the steering yoke... I'm guessing that's marking the S as a racing / intense driving machine, and the insurance premiums will be commensurate.

Reactions: kbM3
Mentioned update 'rotor' presumably that is not a typo for motor.... And have improved the rotor inside the motor...

The details seem to be: "Carbon-sleeved rotors"

Where do you see that?

On the screen during the order process where all the specs are listed.
Model S Three screens.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tim S and MABMAB