Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM plans to be carbon neutral by 2040, aspires to end tailpipe emissions by 2035

Title pretty much says it all - Mary Barra targeting 2035 to sell only BEVs, and 2040 for all production to be carbon neutral. They've talked about this before, but the dates are new.

Better late than never to get on the bandwagon. I hope they are successful -- the big 3 helped build America, and I will be rooting for them to succeed in transitioning, though I have my doubts as to how they can overcome their baggage.

Being public about how serious they (finally) are only helps the mission. So Diess and Barra can talk about "electrification" all they want; it only helps the mission.

Biden signed more executive orders today targeting climate action. It's very refreshing to see. He's really making it a pivotal part of his administration.

GM plans to be carbon neutral by 2040, aspires to end tailpipe emissions by 2035

Title pretty much says it all - Mary Barra targeting 2035 to sell only BEVs, and 2040 for all production to be carbon neutral. They've talked about this before, but the dates are new.

Better late than never to get on the bandwagon. I hope they are successful -- the big 3 helped build America, and I will be rooting for them to succeed in transitioning, though I have my doubts as to how they can overcome their baggage.

Being public about how serious they (finally) are only helps the mission. So Diess and Barra can talk about "electrification" all they want; it only helps the mission.
One effect of this may be the OEMs exiting the electrification FUD (assuming they were participants - I do). That leaves only fossil fuels.

this is good for Tesla because these announcements drastically reduce the amount of FUD surrounding EVs. We'll still have to deal with a lot of Tesla-specific FUD (panel gaps, Elon hate, stock bubble talk) but electrification finally being accepted as inevitable by the mainstream will positively affect demand.

yes i know they "sell every car they can make". increasing demand increases profitability in multiple ways even when supply-constrained, and therefore increases the pace of both innovation and expansion.

If Elon left Tesla would you stay in on stock?

That's a bait question. He clearly said he's not leaving for the new few years and that's there still a lot left to accomplish at Tesla. So there's zero reason to even ask a question like that unless you clearly state a timeframe

If in 4-5 year Elon leaves Tesla, I wouldn't sell one share because of him leaving. At that point, Tesla will be have proved out everything it needs to in order to justify a 2 trillion market cap

If Elon left Tesla would you stay in on stock?
The only way Elon is going to "leave" Tesla is when he gets on that rocket to the Mars colony... even then you can bet there will be a couple specialized Cybertrucks on board. He may step down as CEO, but he will never truly leave Tesla.

Can I recommend Vanguards mobile App?
They haven't changed it in years.
None of this fancy charts and it wont let you risk your fortune on options.

The servers are probably running a DOS emulator.
I have Vanguard and their mobile app is OK but placing orders is a bit clunky (compared to TD Ameritrade at least). I was pretty unhappy with Vanguard back when TSLA was added to S&P, because they have limited ordering options. Specifically, they told me they didn't have a 'Market Close' sell order option, and I wanted to sell about 5% of my TSLA shares using that type of order.

I ended up just not selling at all, and of course those shares are now worth >$800 whereas I would have sold them at $695.

So maybe using Vanguard is a good way to passively reinforce a HODL strategy :confused:

"My company will complete this ambitious goal far after I leave my position as CEO and probably around the time I'm close to leaving the planet altogether."

I should try this at work. Don't worry boss, I will do ALL of the projects sometime after 2050.

you know he’ll at least stay on the board. What happened to Apple stock when Steve a jobs left?
Probably something similar, but if he stays on somehow maybe TSLA will have less of an impact than APPL.
Apple profited quite a bit off the projects that Job's began. I think they are flat now. Tesla would likely be the same with continued growth for another decade after Elon left. Then it would be time to sell.

So who are the good brokers in the US now? Going to leave Interactive Brokers after these shenanigans, and would want someone who would let me borrow against my capital so I dont have to sell my TSLA and has moderately low option trade fees. Sorry mods if there is already a thread for this.
Here are some that might NOT be the ones to consider.

Biden signed more executive orders today targeting climate action. It's very refreshing to see. He's really making it a pivotal part of his administration.
Yup, you should have heard the oil lady protest the move on NPR this morning. "It means $ $Billions in lost revenue and jobs just in Biden's 1st term. You can't replace those jobs locally." It was suggested they build wind generators instead. Ya, like they're worried about the jobs for oil. Sure. But it's not like they're out of the game, they just can't grow as fast. But they're not gonna like the Oil Reduction Act that follows ;)
Amazes me at how fast things are changing (lovin' it). Shorts world too. Ha, Nasdaq CEO calling for new rules yesterday. These folks are asking for it, if it means even more protection for the rich. And good for Gamestop, they cashed in on that extreme valuation (just like Elon's doing with TSLA as the SP rises). Seems like the Pawn got Queened.

Only mention of it that I saw was a Tweet by Elon. So maybe it is still coming.

Around 5 minutes into teleconference when Elon was describing the new S as the first production car to go 0-60 under 2 seconds, he mentions it will have the ability to seat up to 7 people with the third row seats.

So who are the good brokers in the US now? Going to leave Interactive Brokers after these shenanigans, and would want someone who would let me borrow against my capital so I dont have to sell my TSLA and has moderately low option trade fees. Sorry mods if there is already a thread for this.

Replied at Brokerages & Trading Tools