Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is really not a big deal. The people affected the most would be early adopters who paid less.... Either way, when you sell your Tesla vehicle WITH FSD, you get $A more than without. You buy a new one with FSD for $B more than without. Since Tesla won't allow transfer, it costs you ($B - $A). Not worth all of the bitching IMO.
As long as Elon is correct in saying they will value FSD appropriately on trade-ins (no reason to doubt that) then I'm reasonably happy with the status quo.

This is a major advantage that is completely undervalued...
Mobile service is SUPER convenient for the customer.. We want more.
Mobile service goes AGAINST every legacy automobile manufacturers business model of the "dealer". The legacy mfg'rs have a huge network of dealers with huge capacity for on-site service.
I was at my kid's school function volunteering. The other Dads were so confused when they saw a Tesla work vehicle. They were wondering if somebody worked for them until I explained it was mobile service. They were floored.

Just remember, it was supposed to be released in 2019. They’re now saying 2022. This isn’t a slight delay.
As a stock holder, I'm in no hurry for the semi because it cannibalizes battery cells from higher margin vehicles and will require a whole new megacharger charging infrastructure that I see as EXPENSIVE to build out and likely operates at a LOSS per kWh based on some ridiculous price cap that Tesla promised. I can wait!

As a stock holder, I'm in no hurry for the semi because it cannibalizes battery cells from higher margin vehicles and will require a whole new megacharger charging infrastructure that I see as EXPENSIVE to build out and likely operates at a LOSS per kWh based on some ridiculous price cap that Tesla promised. I can wait!

I disagree on the margin. I think Semi will have higher margins that Tesla's other vehicles with exceptions such as the highest trim S/X/Roadster. It will especially have higher margins than 3/Y. The don't have to compete nearly as much on price because there is nothing else like the Semi out there and businesses will be very aware of the total cost of ownership savings.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maitri982
Can I recommend Vanguards mobile App?
They haven't changed it in years.
None of this fancy charts and it wont let you risk your fortune on options.

The servers are probably running a DOS emulator.
lol. Be that as it may, you can in fact trade GME right now on the Vanguard iOS app.

I put in a small buy limit order to backstop the kids and convey my opinion to the Street about shutting down trades and shorting to destroy. Perfectly happy to lose it entirely as a small act of patriotic duty.

Relevance to TSLA?
- The shorts are a lot of the same folks that so diligently tried to help destroy Tesla.
- The SEC appears complicit in the shorts’ games. It could certainly act to make the market more transparent especially with regard to shorts. The SEC appears, at best, to be asleep at the wheel if not actively turning a blind eye. Maybe the publicity around these shorts will put a limelight on the SEC’s failings.
- The shorts and their backers will need to liquidate other assets creating opportunities for discounted buys for those who aren’t sh*theels. The rot is wider and deeper than just the short funds. Didn’t Steve Cohen bail out Plotkin at Melvin?

Overall, the storming of the shorts is neutral for TSLA. Although it may rock the boat a bit, the buying/selling pressure directly resulting should cancel out. That is, there will be short funds also short TSLA that need to buy as well as funds long TSLA that are short elsewhere that will need to sell TSLA to cover other losses. Just a guess and not advice.

edit: Perhaps the action around these heavily shorted companies will create visibility into the abuse of naked short selling by MM’s. One can always hope anyway.

Last edited:
This is really not a big deal. The people affected the most would be early adopters who paid less.... Either way, when you sell your Tesla vehicle WITH FSD, you get $A more than without. You buy a new one with FSD for $B more than without. Since Tesla won't allow transfer, it costs you ($B - $A). Not worth all of the bitching IMO.

The biggest reason I didnt have an issue with adding FSD to our Model 3 was that when we sell it FSD will cost more. So our Model 3 is worth more then another used Model 3 without FSD and FSD will cost more to add it to the competition. We spent $5K on FSD. It now costs $10K. So in the used car market ours should be worth $10K more then equivalent car without FSD.

Reactions: Andy O
For all us zillionaires...

34780654-196A-45D7-ABF3-E68C1E978ED5.png

TipRanks - Emmanuel Rosner: https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/emmanuel-rosner

Tesmanian - today: Tesla TSLA Receives Price Target Boost to $900 from Deutsche Bank, Reiterates Buy

Excerpt:

Deutsche Bank Analyst Emmanuel Rosner raised the firm's price target on Tesla to $900 from $890, and keeps a Buy rating on the shares. He recommends taking advantage of the fact that stocks are weak today in order to accumulate them. In a note to customers, Rosner wrote that while some may regard the lack of detailed delivery forecasts for 2021, which the company did not report, as disappointing, this should not materially affect Tesla's valuation. The company is set to grow by 50% this year alone, allowing Tesla to “materially outperform low investor expectations,” he explained.

I really apologize for quoting my own post... that just seems amazingly tacky. But I just thought I'd gently dip a toe in these waters, and maybe add a few thoughts to the quoted post. Hopefully, the sharks won't rip that toe off and go for the leg...

Two good posts, although their lengths may diminish the number of readers.

It’s hard to discern how much time you spend here in the Investors’ swamp, given your paucity of contributions in it, so here’s a little heads-up: with 2 or 3 exceptions, the heavy hitters here all are graduates of the Buy & Go Away school. To the extent they post here, it’s usually quips and anecdotes and {some attempt at} humor. One can try to proselytize the virtues of long term investing, try to warn of the perils of conflating clever trading skills with bull-market tide-rising, but n=0 is not a great conversion trend.

LT investing also is not the most scintillating of conversations, either. “Today I did nothing” gets rather difficult to read after the first several thousand trading days.
Hint: read my avatar...

I disagree on the margin. I think Semi will have higher margins that Tesla's other vehicles with exceptions such as the highest trim S/X/Roadster. It will especially have higher margins than 3/Y. The don't have to compete nearly as much on price because there is nothing else like the Semi out there and businesses will be very aware of the total cost of ownership savings.

Elon said yesterday, "...Semi uses 5x the batteries of other cars, but we aren't going to sell it for 5x the price of the other cars..."

I think they've been pretty explicit that the product mix while cell-constrained comes down to margin/cell or profit/cell.

Forward Observer

Batteries ~ take a moment and think about batteries. Elon said something to the effect that Semi, and van production are waiting on batteries.

Have you thought about all those supposed Tesla killers. Where are they going to get their batteries? Fossil fuel car manufacturers claiming to be rolling out EVs now; where are their mass production batteries coming from? Texas?:p

Have you thought thru charging your electric car enroute to Mt Baldy? The big name out there is Tesla, Elon/Tesla has always been up front about sharing ~ not just in 4Q20 call. There may be a few mom and pop charging stations, but Superchargers for your Leaf are only at Tesla. If you are demonstrating for your dF brother on an autobahn in Germany (1991) that you are traveling 90 mph in a fossil fuel sedan and about to be passed by a Porsche ~ will not ever happen again with your Model S that no longer has tariffs ~ once Berlin factory kicks into gear.

Analysts are waking up to Electric cars having fewer parts made to fail saves the owner time and 5k service money. Finally a comment about solar side picking up ~ oh yeah, Tesla really makes more than just cars.

I am journaling shares into tax bearing this evening since my powder is dry.

Damn, I should have had a V-8 (not fossil fuel engine ~ died out with the beach boys-409):rolleyes: this morning ~ you’d think I had caffeine at this rate.o_O

Reactions: Artful Dodger
The transferring FSD from car to car push is really a customer issue. The instigators are [selfish] TSLA shareholders who are also Tesla owners buying another Tesla.

From an investor standpoint, I don't want the policy to change. IMO, it shouldn't even be considered until supply catches up to demand.

GME profits deployed into TSLA LEAPs and shares.

Tesmanian - today: Tesla TSLA Receives Price Target Boost to $900 from Deutsche Bank, Reiterates Buy

Excerpt:

Deutsche Bank Analyst Emmanuel Rosner raised the firm's price target on Tesla to $900 from $890, and keeps a Buy rating on the shares. He recommends taking advantage of the fact that stocks are weak today in order to accumulate them. In a note to customers, Rosner wrote that while some may regard the lack of detailed delivery forecasts for 2021, which the company did not report, as disappointing, this should not materially affect Tesla's valuation. The company is set to grow by 50% this year alone, allowing Tesla to “materially outperform low investor expectations,” he explained.
A 10$ price increase? Is that just to grab attention?

Last edited:
It does seem strange in terms of insurance coverage though... One setting change and the payout jumps $10k or so. If Tesla insurance gets a discount on FSD for replacement of totaled cars, that's a big cost advantage.

Elon said yesterday, "...Semi uses 5x the batteries of other cars, but we aren't going to sell it for 5x the price of the other cars..."

I think they've been pretty explicit that the product mix while cell-constrained comes down to margin/cell or profit/cell.

Except they are selling it for 4X the cost of their lower end models....which is what I was pointing out. A low end Model 3 is 40k, the base model of the Semi is 150k. And Tesla is going to prioritize the 180k version. I have no doubt the margin on a Semi will be higher than a base Model 3/Y.

Besides, the costs of the batteries only make up part of the costs of the vehicle. I'm not saying Tesla should or shouldn't be prioritizing Semi production. I just don't view the Semi as a worse margin vehicle than Tesla's other vehicles

I do agree with the fact that if they don't have the readily available supply of batteries to ramp up the Semi past the point of very low production(and thus bad initial margins), then yes don't bother with.

Last edited:

Excerpt:

A 10$ price increase? Is that just to grab attention?

It was only 8 days ago that Deutsche Bank's Emmanuel Rosner raised his TSLA target price from $705 to $890. I surmise he felt that remaining quiet on the day after the earnings report might have seemed suspect, so he let the world know that he is still a TSLA bull. :cool:

Last edited:
Agreed that the margins will be higher on the Semi, just not enough to generate the same profit dollars as five S or X.

Except they are selling it for 4X the cost of their lower end models....which is what I was pointing out. A low end Model 3 is 40k, the base model of the Semi is 150k. And Tesla is going to prioritize the 180k version. I have no doubt the margin on a Semi will be higher than a base Model 3/Y.

Besides, the costs of the batteries only make up part of the costs of the vehicle. I'm not saying Tesla should or shouldn't be prioritizing Semi production. I just don't view the Semi as a worse margin vehicle than Tesla's other vehicles

I do agree with the fact that if they don't have the readily available supply of batteries to ramp up the Semi past the point of very low production(and thus bad initial margins), then yes don't bother with.
They should revise the price of the Semi. The margins looks pretty low as you also need to spread the mega charger cost across them as well when all other models doesn't need such infrastructure.

I think Tesla is the hardest customer for battery partners. Tesla knows too much, expects too much and can make their own if the deal isn't good enough... Every other car company.... DESPERATE and willing to pay more for less because they don't have options.
Here's some batteries if needed. You're welcome :p
Actually, I can see getting some packs for a boat project someday soon.
upload_2021-1-28_12-45-14.png