Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chamath explaining it to 5 year olds. Which adds credence to my suspicions that some of our odd downward moves this week might have been caused by the shorts (but not the TSLA shorts)
Thread by @chamath on Thread Reader App
TSLA downward push in pre-market today, and likely the action yesterday, is directly related to "the situation". Folks moving shares to raise cash for other moves, BUT I'm really starting to think the eventual landing place for much of this incremental cash is TSLA. And Bitcoin obviously. 50/50 perhaps.

My $1300 2023 covered calls are all but executed in my mind, probably within a couple months. And I'm OK with that in the context of what's happening.

Am Gen-X. Can confirm love of yoke and if Elon adds cycling red horizontal light to front of car nose and voice-enabled smartwatch app, I will not be able to resist placing an order.

Resistance is futile.

0F09B430-4F45-473C-91E9-A2D871F17D36.jpeg

It turns out that buying TSLA to save for a Tesla is legit.

So, GMs most profitable pick-up truck division will remain gas and diesel well beyond 2035? Cybertruck can't get here fast enough. Only when Tesla pick-up truck EVs are out in volume will GM realize that they changed too little too late in the game, to their own demise.
Yup. I don't like trucks, they don't work for my lifestyle and cost more to operate, but I'm buying a tri-motor Cybertruck for no other reason than to drive around and show other truck owners their pick-ups are not as capable and more expensive to own compared to a Tesla truck.

And, who knows, maybe I'll actually like the Cybertruck. I definitely will if Tesla builds it such that I can crawl from the cab to the covered bed without getting out of the vehicle.

Probably few. They don’t buy cars anymore than EM buys houses. Transportation as a service is the future.
Nah.
With actual money they will absolutely be buying cars, and the only cars worth having are Teslas.

I/We/they didn't own cars because of ever-growing wealth disparity, not because we really thought Uber and Lyft were just so la-di-da superior.

The question is will the margin be enough to compensate for the margin of the 5 cars that could have otherwise been sold. Highly unlikely.
The profit, not the margin. 5 * 100K * 30% is still a 30% margin 1 * 200K * 45% is still a 45% margin. (numbers made up for ease of calculation) Obviously the profit will be more on the five cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
The profit, not the margin. 5 * 100K * 30% is still a 30% margin 1 * 200K * 45% is still a 45% margin. (numbers made up for ease of calculation) Obviously the profit will be more on the five cars.

For the sale amount of sales, the product with higher margin brings in more profit. However, with cells being the limiting factor, the amount of sales is different. 500k vs 200k in your example, so the semi would need a margin 2.5 times higher than the cars to equal the profit. Thus @st_lopes comment regarding if semi's margin is sufficiently higher.

So given Tesla has basically built an entertainment system that matches the playstion 5 in specs and a cloud gaming platform anyone think they might start selling home consoles? I mean it sounds like they've built all the pieces already, all they need is a plastic shell to throw on what is going in the car so you can put it on their shelf.

I would bring the costs down for what goes in a vehicle by producing them components at a greater scale and increase the attractiveness of the robotaxis.

"Oh ive been playing this game on the tesla gamestation and now I have a 45 minute drive in a robo taxi. What! I can continue my saved game from my home console for the drive? Thats awesome. Im never getting in a waymo"
This is one fantastic idea (even though I don't own a game console). Someone with a Twitter account should tweet this to Elon.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Please no. I can see the need or want for a third screen in the Y. But "everyone" has been complaining that the Model S/X has not really been flaship models with everything better on the Y. Though the S still costs twice as much as the 3. The top of the line products needs something except 0-60 times to be clearly exclusive for them. So I hope they do keep it like that especially for the Long Range model it needs more then a slightly bigger size than a 3 to justify the price.
Not to mention that Halo vehicles needs a decently sized halo for them to work.
Agreed. Unless that third screen makes Tesla money, in which case I'm all for it.

I can see the headlines now: "Redditors cause worldwide financial collapse"

Yeah, always blame the little guy. Don't look at the corrupt system. Yet another reason why short selling should be illegal.

The sad thing is when Citadel and their like was actively trying to kill Tesla the SEC was nowhere to be found.
Now that the big boy's are getting killed they are starting to sing a different tune.

Remember those with the money make the rules.

Part of the reason software development estimates are bad is that humans are optimistic when estimating the future. The estimates rarely account for the unexpected, such as a pandemic.

It's been my observation that this group tends to hype ourselves up and then get disappointed when Tesla's amazing achievements don't match our hype.

I'm setting my estimate at 850,000 deliveries for 2021.
As someone who has been in software development for 35 years the best thing I ever heard about estimates was at a conference when the presenter said. "The only good estimate comes after you have completed the project". So many things can get in the way of getting stuff done that you simply have a hard time accounting for. Also small projects are where this hurts the worst. A little difficult to find bug can throw an estimate out the window. Expect a task to take a day to accomplish and all goes well and 1 little issue could cause that day to jump out of whack. Especially when using software packages developed by others when we do with every project.

Last edited: