Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the motive behind buying Bitcoin?
Why not buy Bulgarian war bonds or Turkish grammar books?
Is it a hedge? What is he paranoid about?
Makes no sense , can’t wait for his explanation.

Why not? There are more companies now that place some part of their assets in bitcoin.

To me it makes perfect sense. A hedge against inflation(if it returns, especially give the absurd amount of dollars that where printed in 2020(25%...?)) might be the most important reason.

I have done it myself with 5% of my net worth. I think its a good hedge.

Edit:
23.6% of All US Dollars Were Created in the Last Year

Its ridicules!

Someone explain to me how holding bitcoin fits in with transitioning the world to renewable energy? bitcoin is an environmental DISASTER when it comes to totally wasted energy on mining. and AFAIK the cost of a bitcoin transaction in energy terms is also catastrophic.
This is a very backwards step imho, unless someone can explain to me how this is *not* wasting energy.
When mankind is 100% renewable and climate change is a solved problem, then lets waste energy on pointless math to pump up crypto, but until then, this is a stupid, stupid move. Very disappointed.

I agree. Not sure where this is all headed.

There is crypto out there that is scalable and is not mined with instantaneous transactions and the transactions cost nothing. But nothing seems to matter except the first movers.

BTC mining is ridiculous in energy cost. It consumes energy on the scale of COUNTRIES.

I have a hard time seeing the desired result here. But it could be a simple as having TSLA SP go BTC on us (like it has not already...) and using the share collateral to further accelerate the transition. And in terms of a gamble the 1.5 billion spent seems to have great risk / reward.

What is the motive behind buying Bitcoin?
Why not buy Bulgarian war bonds or Turkish grammar books?
Is it a hedge? What is he paranoid about?
Makes no sense , can’t wait for his explanation.
The total monetary mass of BTC is limited. Central banks will print their currencies ad infinitum to support their parent states as their economies drop and trust in their currencies falls.

It's an inflation edge for shareholders (not the company itself as it will buys and sells stuff in the currencies of the local economies).

The total monetary mass of BTC is limited. Central banks will print their currencies ad infinitum to support their parent states as their economies drop and trust in their currencies falls. It's an inflation edge.

So is gold, and it doesn't mean burning an entire countries electricity requirements to buy some. This is inexcusable. Does tesla care about climate change or not?

Almost everyone here thought I was crazy a few months back when I floated the idea that Tesla might do this. :p

I even speculated that btc would be on Tesla’s 10K last Friday.

You’ve got a lot of close minded people here that is automatic disagree on anything they don’t understand or care to understand.

So is gold, and it doesn't mean burning an entire countries electricity requirements to buy some. This is inexcusable. Does tesla care about climate change or not?

Gold and Silver have been manipulated for decades. "Paper" gold and silver can now be used to affect the specie spot price.

They aren't as likely to protect against Central Bank shenanigans as these have in the centuries preceding.

As for the energy side of Bitcoin, the "miners" tend to use renewable energy because locating near hydro costs less. I don't think that the use of energy alone is in any way against the goal of Tesla at all. The demands for energy will always increase. Tesla's goal is to transition to sustainable energy, which in the case of Bitcoin seems to be in alignment, as long as renewable energy costs less than fossil-sourced electrons.

Last edited:
Im liking this price action. However, in the longer term (starting tomorrow), I am wary of the implication on the SP volatility. I didnt like the notion that TSLA performance was tied to that of BTC due to some twisted reason. I like it even less now that Elon legitimized it. Maybe it will work wonder for option sellers. We’ll see.

Reactions: Carl Raymond
I
You’ve got a lot of close minded people here that is automatic disagree on anything they don’t understand or care to understand.

Yup, anybody who disapproves of bitcoin must be too stupid to understand it. Yup 100%. This sounds correct, and in no way representative of the frankly crazed mentality of the people who are trying to pump crypto. FFS. I'm a computer programmer, I'm not too stupid to understand crypto. I just don't like the idea of us running coal power stations flat out to overheat GPUs so we can generate a currency nobody accepts.
Its probably just me being too stupid.

I agree. Not sure where this is all headed.

There is crypto out there that is scalable and is not mined with instantaneous transactions and the transactions cost nothing. But nothing seems to matter except the first movers.

BTC mining is ridiculous in energy cost. It consumes energy on the scale of COUNTRIES.

I have a hard time seeing the desired result here. But it could be a simple as having TSLA SP go BTC on us (like it has not already...) and using the share collateral to further accelerate the transition. And in terms of a gamble the 1.5 billion spent seems to have great risk / reward.

I’ve had a crazy idea for awhile that Tesla is going to end up inventing a whole new economy based on sustainable energy production and storage, backed by blockchain. I'm not smart enough to put all the pieces together, but Powerwalls and Autobidder are in there somewhere. A stake in BTC also fits—even if they wind up using a different token or inventing a new one. Gotta start somewhere.

I’m very indifferent to this and not a huge fan of it.

But let’s be real here, Bitcoin mining was going to continue regardless of Tesla buying a stake in it or not. Bitcoin is here to stay and the environmental costs are just something that has to be factored and try to mitigated as best possible. At least Tesla is one of the very few with the ability to change how impactful Bitcoin mining can be.

Seems to be quite a stretch to call out Tesla as abandoning their mission