Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well couldn't we start mining our own coins in the new S and X with the powerful new gaming PC built in?
It does seem wasteful to have a "super computer" just sitting in my garage 23 hours out of the day, especially if I had home solar to power it. Judging whether the FSD computers are useful for mining is above my pay grade though. There were a few thoughts earlier in the thread that said no.

This move by TSLA makes me feel like BTC could be the currency of energy arbitrage. Are there advantages of using alternative currencies for this purpose instead of dollars?
No need to convert between currencies? More difficult to tax transactions?

Yes, agreed. What say you, exalted mother of @Krugerrand ?

I shall consult with The Oracle later today, but I’m not sure she really grasps the whole concept of cryptocurrency. I could be wrong, though, since she worked in a bank for 40 years and lives and breathes numbers even today.

From where I stand, I just got hella richer. Elon, through his companies, just keeps flipping the world like a bloody pancake. The scope of what’s coming blew my mind years ago. I can’t even begin to comprehend the magnitude, but I do know I want to live long enough to see it.

The question of energy is a temporary one. And a TSLAQ-esque FUD one. We're going to have unlimited free energy by 2030.

I don't believe there will be free energy ever. Mining is one thing but Blockchain processing for every financial transaction has never been resolved to my satisfaction. It is a problem facing any blockchain currency. Distributed processing is only part of the problem as I see it. All processing comes at a cost. Pushing Bitcoin as a store of value is an effort to avoid the inconvenience of the energy problem of financial transactions.

Processing is going to have to be moved to space (perhaps deep space) to resolve the problem and that is going to be expensive initially as I see it.

This actually could be useful in terms of the 'duck curve' and solar. When we build excess solar to get us through slumps. But charging electric cars with that surge would be more useful.
ARK's Sam Korus has been proposing this for the last year or so. Mostly in the context of nighttime “wind spillage” as I recall.

TSLA Outstanding Shares Status:

From the Tesla 2020 10-K

As of February 1, 2021, there were 959,853,504 shares of the registrant’s Common Stock outstanding.

Dec'20 Cap Raise & Stock Offering:
  • On December 8, 2020, we entered into a separate Equity Distribution Agreement with certain sales agents to sell $5.00 billion in shares of our common stock from time to time through an “at-the-market” offering program.
  • Such sales were completed by December 9, 2020 and settled by December 11, 2020, with the sale of 7,915,589 shares of common stock resulting in gross proceeds of $5.00 billion and net proceeds of $4.99 billion, net of sales agents’ commissions of $13 million and other offering costs of $1 million.
Cheers!

Well couldn't we start mining our own coins in the new S and X with the powerful new gaming PC built in?

Bitcoin, no. Not profitably. It would cost far more in electricity than you would earn. Other crypto currencies? maybe, but keep in mind it would cost you a fixed amount of money in electricity, and the gains would be a trickle of pennies that would be highly volatile in value.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nocturnal
I don't believe there will be free energy ever. Mining is one thing but Blockchain processing for every financial transaction has never been resolved to my satisfaction. It is a problem facing any blockchain currency. Distributed processing is only part of the problem as I see it. All processing comes at a cost. Pushing Bitcoin as a store of value is an effort to avoid the inconvenience of the energy problem of financial transactions.

Processing is going to have to be moved to space (perhaps deep space) to resolve the problem and that is going to be expensive initially as I see it.
Quantum computing is just around the corner. For every problem there is an answer given some time.

I've been thinking along the same lines. I've been wondering after Musk's carbon sequestration tweet that maybe Tesla will end up producing a small scale carbon sequester, that you can run with the excess energy from your solar roof, and then you can earn Tesla's own digital currency per every kg of carbon you sequester.
That is actually a very good idea - you should should write up a paper for Elons competition. Think a lot of people would sign up.
At first, it is donating energy for a good cause, perhaps with a few lottery prizes just for fun. Later you get bitcoin - or a future Tesla-coin - your choice.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nrkl
I am super angry about tesla gambling in bitcoin. Sure, this put me into the minority. But what the hell, this is against everything I put my faith into tesla.

1. bitcoin is a super polluter, climate change, remember that, tsla?

2. bitcoin's main usage is money laundry and pure speculation. It has no value as a monetary system due to volatility and no tax based support system. The 'value' comes from fixed supply but this is a nono for a monetary system. I always think Elon is a decent and caring guy. But did he think about if bitcoin bubble gone, how many small investors would be in pain?

3. tsla raised large sums of money for capacity expansion. It is a shame it uses investor's money into playing a bubble. And accepting bitcoin as payment? They think their accountants have nothing better to do?

I am deeply shocked and shamed. I just sold my shares.
Remember one thing: bitcoin as a thing has no value, or negative value to the human society. Sure, blockchain is revolutionary. But bitcoin's cumbersome design will make it obsolete once all the rosy views out of the picture.
Hope one day Elon fix this problem. I still believe in the climate change mission.

Last edited:
Tesla commands nearly a quarter of the world's EV sales in 2020, and it’s still just getting started

Given the higher ASP of Tesla cars, it probably took almost half the total value and the vast majority of profit worldwide.

mmmm ....... I guess folk don't read the BEV competition thread where I post this stuff, like, Tesla BEV Competition Developments

So here is a repost :

Using the EV-Sales recent end-Nov and end-2020 posts :
- EV Sales: 2020 Sales by OEM and
- EV Sales: Global Top 20 - December 2020 and
- EV Sales: Global Top 20 November 2020
plus adding in various other bits of info at model and manufacturer level, and stirring in some errors & assumptions of my own creation I get the following end-2020 outcome:

3wDItRH.jpg

lX77Iwl.jpg

T1tb7kl.jpg

9Iyl7Hv.jpg

I have a by-model breakdown for quite a few models, but as a courtesy to EV-Sales I don't see a need to post that here as I don't think it is necessarily relevant for investors. Ideally we could encourage EV-Sales to release a public analysis of this type, if only to save me the effort, and to eliminate some errors that I am likely introducing.

If you see any errors my apologies & please let me know so I can fix them.

An extra fact that I calculated - it seems that Tesla did 1.968 GWh of storage in 2020 so that represents about 5.4% of Tesla's overall cell consumption. I was previously forecasting that Tesla would reach 10% during 2020 but they appear to have started the ramp later than I predicted. I hold 12.5% in my 2021 forecast (9 GWh) so I suspect that I was a tad optimistic when I did that forecast. More likely will be a doubling to 6 GWh (they tend to fall off in Q1, then rise again) and anything over 6 GWh would be a fantastic cell supply solution.

This dataset suggests that Tesla are installing 69 kWh/vehicle with an ARPV of $54k. The Tesla end-year financials give a fairly similar $ number but of course do not give a kWh number.

I am super angry about tesla gambling in bitcoin. Sure, this put me into the minority. But what the hell, this is against everything I put my faith into tesla.

1. bitcoin is a super polluter, climate change, remember that, tsla?

2. bitcoin's main usage is money laundry and pure speculation. It has no value as a monetary system due to volatility and no tax based credit system. I always think Elon is a decent guy. But did he think about if bitcoin bubble gone, how many small investors would be in pain?

3. tsla raised large sums of money for capacity expansion. It is a shame it uses investor's money into playing a bubble. And accepting bitcoin as payment? They think their accountants have nothing better to do?

I am deeply shocked and shamed. I just sold my shares. Hope one day Elon fix this problem. I still believe in the climate change mission.

I'm sorry but this just reads like and old grumpy man rant. BTC main usage is not money laundry and it's not a bubble. It is a payment solution and digital currency for the future. Point in case bein that leading tech firm Tesla Motors will start accepting it as payment for their cars.