Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Benzinga - half hour ago: Should Apple Partner With Tesla, Ford Or GM On A Self-Driving EV? | Benzinga

Excerpt:

About 37% of traders and investors believe a Tesla-Apple EV partnership makes the most sense.

Many respondents noted Elon Musk's company is the most established EV automaker and would be the easiest for Apple to partner with, given its EV line up features the longest distance electric cars between charges, the company’s laid out plans for installing EV chargers throughout the U.S. and at-present has the largest EV market share.

Apple only needs to buy 10% of Tesla and continue to do what they do already. They don’t need an Apple car, Tim said years ago that Apple will be remembered as a healthcare company. They are working on that.

I know, I know, no more talk of Apple, too much OT.... :rolleyes:

So Redneck Speak:
Ya screwed with us, and it hurt. We need you to clearly understand who is incharge here. Tell your bean-counters to behave, or be willing to pay quite a bit more for the chips.... I didn't think so.

Managers like plans, budgets & hitting targets exactly. Series of smallish customers (ICE subsystem suppliers & Legacy ICE) who are used to being in charge/big fish cancel orders.

Chaos to chip suppliers short term, back of the queue / price premium.

Domino effect of Chip maker > Chip supplier/wholesaler > Subsystem supplier (many, various scales, various levels of cancellation, risk of not paying bills) >>> Legacy ICE

Only as strong as their weakest chip sourcing:-

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail. (chip)

Is there any actual definitive word as to what extent this chip shortage has affected tesla, if at all? They dont make all their own chips, and are producing flat out, so surely its having an impact?
Unlike GM and Ford, Elon and Zach may never give definitive guidance on the issue. Anyone else's statement is pure conjecture.

I expect an impact because Zach specifically mentioned it Jan 27.

Benzinga: 'The fact is every single Tesla we've tested has failed to hit its EPA range estimate' -Earlier Tweet From Edmunds Highlighting Late-Tuesday Report 'Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption'

https://twitter.com/edmunds/status/1359560204724043776

Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

Personally find it a little silly to compare "real-world" ranges with a 13 degree temperature difference, but whatever gets you clicks I suppose.

Beyond the 13 degree part though,the EPA should really force all automakers to the same test... and they should be forced to the Multi-Cycle test.

@ericmandela with a tweet that made a lot of sense to me. Not sure if heard this angle shared here. Obviously we won’t hear this from the paidstream media...

While some worry that @tesla converted $1.5B of cash to Bitcoin, I don’t hear them worrying that GM spent $2.95B on advertising in the US alone in 2019. Being a novel move, the conversion served to provide additional free press for Tesla. $TSLA

On the topic of reporting on GM I also hear no "concerned reports" from MSM of how GM are in a process of partnering up with the Tesla-wannabe zombie called Nikola - for which we have news nuggets like this one:
https://twitter.com/meckimac/status/1359504629973794819

Over 271,000 March $20 put orders have been executed today. Is someone using these to depress the share price? Something to do with NOPE Net Options Pricing Effect?
My daughter provided some background:

I [she] was baffled by Tesla's rapid drop today and decided to probe a little deeper. I soon stumbled on this article: Is This Why Tesla Just Plunged? | ZeroHedge - it seems someone bought 223,000 way OTM Tesla puts with a $20 strike for March. After reading it, I immediately remembered that I had recently (6th Feb) seen a tweet posted by Michael Burry (of the big short) regarding delta-gamma hedging: https://twitter.com/michaeljburry/status/1357829213357711360. As most are aware, Burry is vocally short on Tesla.

In the article he links it says:

a) If NOPE is high negative — This means a ton of put buying, which means a lot of those puts are now worth more, and a lot of calls are now worth less/worth less (due to price decoherence). This means that to stay delta neutral, market makers need to sell/short more shares, pushing the stock price down.

Hello friends!

Burry was also tweeting about FSD earlier, so he was clearly doing some research. Maybe he wanted to try out this method of buying OTM puts in order to encourage market makers to sell off shares so that he could cover his short position? Maybe he just wanted to see if it works?

I don't know but the entire thing seems really off to me. Please let me know what you think.

Interesting Tweet from Ross Gerber; the text of which reads:

"Hey @GordonJohnson19 can’t seem to find you on the SEC or FINRA website. It would seem as if you’re giving financial advice without being properly registered or licensed. Which is illegal. Maybe you can explain your accounting for this? #tesla #FUD $TSLA"

https://twitter.com/GerberKawasaki/status/1359188984363057153?s=20
I truly hate twitter sometimes....so hard to follow the threads...

Welp looks like they'll successfully break 806 for the close, probably 800. I'd say this sell off is going to continue. Ugly day and ugly week. So much for Max Pain actually working to our benefit :rolleyes:

Right. Especially with volume being below average, a test of the predictive power of the Max Pain hypothesis is whether we will in fact see an SP increase towards the end of the week - for a close at a price nearer Max Pain (which is currently estimated at 850$).

PS. Stock Option Max Pain

Last edited:

I [she] was baffled by Tesla's rapid drop today and decided to probe a little deeper. I soon stumbled on this article: Is This Why Tesla Just Plunged? | ZeroHedge - it seems someone bought 223,000 way OTM Tesla puts with a $20 strike for March. After reading it, I immediately remembered that I had recently (6th Feb) seen a tweet posted by Michael Burry (of the big short) regarding delta-gamma hedging: https://twitter.com/michaeljburry/status/1357829213357711360. As most are aware, Burry is vocally short on Tesla.

a) If NOPE is high negative — This means a ton of put buying, which means a lot of those puts are now worth more, and a lot of calls are now worth less/worth less (due to price decoherence). This means that to stay delta neutral, market makers need to sell/short more shares, pushing the stock price down.

Hello friends!

Burry was also tweeting about FSD earlier, so he was clearly doing some research. Maybe he wanted to try out this method of buying OTM puts in order to encourage market makers to sell off shares so that he could cover his short position? Maybe he just wanted to see if it works?

I don't know but the entire thing seems really off to me. Please let me know what you think.

GM was down 2.10% on more than double the average volume, so some of the SP movement is related to the alleged chip shortage which Barra also warned about.

• Informative
Reactions: Sudre and NooB_cat

Hello friends!

So basically someone’s pushing down the stock by massively buying put options for pennies, creating a reverse gamma-squeeze? Sounds like an easy way to create a buying dip! Can we do this monthly?