Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should consider picking up a portable solar panel that can power some basic pumps/bubblers. I keep a reef aquarium so also plan to replace my emergency generator (for the tank really) with the CT. Worst case I'll park it on my back porch and run a power cord in to the tank.
I have a car battery that lasts 3 days using my "industrial strength" bubblers, however by the time I go to use the battery and bubblers another 3-4 years has passed and either I have to go buy new ones or trust the old ones work...

Reactions: Nocturnal
I came here to see what Buffet had to hide.
I am pretty sure I read a couple of posts here yesterday that stated the info had to be released today
So which was it...President's day? Or completely wrong?
It can't be that it wasn't TSLA because that would have still been worth talking about than the comparison of weather between Iceland and Texas.

Somewhere a few pages back someone posted a list of all BH filings for the last 5 years or so and it seemed to indicate that it would in the case of a holiday like today be pushed back a day. So 12+ hours to go till we know

One suggestion, create his own Tesla coin....

1 Tesla Coin = 1 one Tesla Share
1 Tesla Coin = 100 Million memes (memes is just an arbitrary name for the smallest unit of the currency)

The shares can be obtained by a share buyback, and placed in some sort of audited ESCROW arrangement where coin owners can redeem the coins for shares at any point in time.

But it is easier to find an off-the-shelf solution, where Tesla doesn't need to do any of the work.
Hmm, I wonder if Tesla could just issue Tesla coins as dividends to the stock. Shorts would have to buy Tesla coins at whatever the going rate is to meet borrowing obligations. That could be amusing.

John Kerry To Work "very, very closely" With India On Climate Change - The Taiwan Times

"Prime Minister Modi had announced a huge target of 450 gigawatts of installed renewables to be put in place by India by 2030, although this will likely remain out of reach without a significant overhaul of India’s current bidding and project allocation methods that have currently seen interest from outside the country stall in large part."

...might be Blockchain and BTC related, tbh.

Maybe Tesla really should begin, to start preparing, to be ready to address, all of the strong competition, which is sure to be coming from Apple, as well as the established automakers, in, maybe, another ten years or so.

Or, at the very least, be ready to send complementary bottles of Teslaquila to members of the upper management of those OEMs that go bankwupt between now and then.
perhaps you saw the blurb that spacex is preparing to off phone service via starlink? Yes, I'd say Elon is preparing to take on Apple. Frankly iphones ...well they don't impress, each version is less desirable to me. Without forced buyin I'd not get one. If tesla could make a phone environment to challenge an iphone I'd be cool with that. Less expensive, more functional, less breakage, better battery. Yes, I'd be ok with that.

perhaps you saw the blurb that spacex is preparing to off phone service via starlink? Yes, I'd say Elon is preparing to take on Apple. Frankly iphones ...well they don't impress, each version is less desirable to me. Without forced buyin I'd not get one. If tesla could make a phone environment to challenge an iphone I'd be cool with that. Less expensive, more functional, less breakage, better battery. Yes, I'd be ok with that.

as much as I would love to see that, I don’t think it’ll align w Tesla mission. SpaceX maybe. Maybe it’ll be a separate entity like boring Co.

For Tesla to do anything in the Phone/Tablet/Laptop space 2 requirements are IMO mandatory:-
  • Unbreakable or hard to break screen.
  • Long lasting efficient battery with minimal degradation.
Additional requirements:-
  • Robust OS
  • High security
  • Great performance
Like cars, they should start out doing a product that matches or exceeds the competition in all relevant categories.

Phone / tablet screens breaking, and battery degradation do annoy me.

I'm not saying they should do this, but if they do, aim high.

Reactions: skybluecgreen

I was left with the impression that these would be WiFi-based where existing phones work through a Starlink receiver. Rather than a phone that communicated directly via the Starlink satellite.

It would be cool to be wrong about that, but I don't think the receiver tech can be put into a mobile phone. (yet)

I was left with the impression that these would be WiFi-based where existing phones work through a Starlink receiver. Rather than a phone that communicated directly via the Starlink satellite.

It would be cool to be wrong about that, but I don't think the receiver tech can be put into a mobile phone. (yet)

The right model for urban areas is:-
Starlink->5G Tower -> Phone/Car

Even if the tech could be in each phone, Starlink has a limit on the number of connections per square mile.

Some kind of mobile Starlink->WiFi kit would be handy for road trips.. if Starlink allows mobile usage.

I don't recall the Chevy Bolt EUV reveal being posted. Here it is. Forgive GM for their DIsney marketing hype. IMHO it looks much better than the original Chevy Bolt and hopefully they will get more people into EVs which is good for all of us.
Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 8.45.02 PM.png

I don't recall the Chevy Bolt EUV reveal being posted. Here it is. Forgive GM for their DIsney marketing hype. IMHO it looks much better than the original Chevy Bolt and hopefully they will get more people into EVs which is good for all of us.
View attachment 637114
It looks like it’s got a mouth guard and I cannot unsee this.

Last edited:
A hot off the presses rumor from Twitter: Tesla is internally aiming for 1M+ deliveries for 2021 and a Model Y LR RWD is coming soon.

https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1361512726686818307

If true, I wish we knew if the driving force for this was Model Y blowing the doors off in China and Fremont or if optimism on the 4680 battery production ramp would allow Berlin and/or Austin to contribute more than expected this year.

So everyday they are closed down completely is I'm guessing a days production of say 1500 cars in this building that is lost when opening a day later than if they are not losing that day.

1500 x $50k = $75 million lost revenue. For being closed one day.

Snow is expensive.

If it's going to cost them $75 million per day in lost revenues they'd work through the nights and pay overtime for the next few weeks to get back on track. My guess though is that the limiting factor to getting to production isn't construction of the factory shell, it's figuring out how to build Cybertrucks - and that work continues uninterrupted somewhere else.

So everyday they are closed down completely is I'm guessing a days production of say 1500 cars in this building that is lost when opening a day later than if they are not losing that day.

1500 x $50k = $75 million lost revenue. For being closed one day.

Snow is expensive.

Day 1 is not a 500,000+ car/year run rate. At best, it is some fraction of that spread over how many ever quarters it takes to hit the full run rate.

If Tesla were to mine it's own Bitcoin, it would either expense the mining costs directly to the P&L or record the cost as an intangible asset to the balance sheet.
Earlier:
EDIT: I see @st_lopes covered this already ...but I will leave the post as it includes an example.

Here is how the accounting on Bitcoin will work with some hypothetical examples

Dec 31, 2020 - Tesla records $1.5B asset on Balance Sheet (in the account called: Cash and Cash Equivalents)

Mar 31, 2021 - Bitcoin investment drops to $1.3B (Tesla takes a $0.2B loss in the P&L)
Jun 30, 2021 - Bitcoin investment drops to $1.0B (Tesla takes a $0.3B loss in the P&L)
Sep 30, 2021 - Bitcoin investment moves up to 1.4B (Tesla takes a $0.4B gain in the P&L - as prior impairments can be reversed)
Dec 31, 2021 - Bitcoin investment moves up to $1.8B (Tesla takes a $0.1B gain in the P&L - as gains cannot exceed original investment until sold.

So under current GAAP, can Tesla take a gain to re-coup any losses they have taken in prior periods?

Cheers!