Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

Ocelot

Jul 2, 2012
Canada

Definitely shame. Who has that much money, and decides to propagate up the oil industry? The number one long term threat to human health. It actually angers me.

Is not Warren friends with Bill? I want to see an interview with Mr. Gates, and the question be " What do you think of the worlds wealthiest people, for example your friend, Warren, investing and directly supporting the oil industry, and thereby delaying transition to renewable energy? Does that anger you that the rich, want to get richer at any cost?".

I saw a video, showing Warrens daily routine once. It might of been the documentary on Bill Gates. He starts of the day reading a variety of newspapers. It gave insight, into how he amassed his fortune. Same reason we are doing well here. It was an information advantage. He probably had the newspapers flown in daily, and pre-internet would have a huge advantage of knowing what was happening across the USA in different sectors. He continues to do that. But now anyone can do that. I have now lost any respect for that guy, and would never buy a Berkshire share.

JustSaying

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2017
Orange County CA
Yikes... My wife and I have rib eye steak when TSLA crosses another 100 dollar increment (at close). I did not know that TSLA went down. I guess beans and rice for dinner tonight. Or perhaps only count once when cross a 100 dollar increment.

With a $40 Tesla per share cost basis we could do this every weekend.(but we don't). I did have a Jersey Mikes Philly cheese steak sandwich today with a 25% off coupon (JMIKES25)
Steak and Seafood - Morton's the Steakhouse

Last edited:

Jun 6, 2016
Texas
Camp mode, cold weather and Tesla’s future.

Looks like it will be 60 hours with no electricity in a freezing all electric house, it has been 40 hours already. It was 1 degree F this morning. -17C. They are not rolling the black outs. Or prioritizing neighborhoods where natural gas is not available.

I understand calling 211 will get you to a gym.

If you have a model 3 in the garage and cover the glass with packing blankets... camp mode will keep the car at 60F with the garage at 40F and outside at 8F all night for 35 miles of range.

Conclusions:
1) Camp mode works
2) I am happy the power is still in the car as it is an environmental escape pod.
3) Tesla stock should go up as the benefits of energy storage are demonstrated time and again.

Here you see Bella, the dog, and the camp mode screen many have never seen.

30C33FBC-385F-4B93-956F-72C6397B40C8.jpeg

EAB56F46-30DF-4A92-8B9A-7CDDACDE3FD4.png

Silent Ludicrosy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2018
Phoenix
Definitely shame. Who has that much money, and decides to propagate up the oil industry? The number one long term threat to human health. It actually angers me.

You’d think he’d invest in sustainabilty for his grandkids’ sake. But he disowned one and the other is on Toyota’s board of directors.

StealthP3D

Dec 12, 2018
Maple Falls, WA
I can't take another 3 months of speculation. Please no.

Berkshire announcing they had taken a position in TSLA would give the share price a short-term goosing but it wouldn't change the fundamental value of the company, not even a little bit. Tesla is past the stage where that would even be helpful to anything other than your brokerage account balance which is just a number, not a holding. TSLA shares are not cash - the balance in your brokerage account is a somewhat synthetic derivative of your actual holding and is subject to change rapidly and dramatically in either direction.

Given this, the speculation doesn't bother me a bit because it doesn't matter to the true value of my holdings - it's more of a curiosity whether BH adapts with the times or not. To do so with TSLA would require a wholesale disruption in BH's investment philosophy and I would find that interesting. BH didn't invest in AAPL until the revenue stream had caught up with the valuation. It wasn't much of a stretch for BH considering their dominate position and the revenues. Granted, TSLA would have been a much better investment but it would have stretched BH's investment philosophy well past the limit. It's not that BH doesn't think TSLA would be a good investment - it's that that's not what their investors expect of them or how they operate. BH is desirable because it's safe and predictable.

Personally, unless BH changes their investment philosophy in a major way, I see TSLA's valuation remaining above that point at which they could buy in for at least most of the rest of this decade. But it's always nice to know they are there, cash ready, to take a huge position should valuations ever undergo a major correction.

Last edited:

FrankSG

Jun 27, 2019
Singapore
I don't understand how DVA can be the big "mystery holding" for two reasons: first, BH has owned DVA since at least 2014 -->
Why Berkshire Owns $2.5 Billion of DVA Stock

And second, @FrankSG mentioned this in his blog: "According to this BI article, there is a $25B difference between the value of the portfolio Berkshire Hathaway declared in its 13F and its 10-Q ($220B vs $245B). In actuality, they declared $245.5B in their 10-Q and $229B in their 13F, a difference of $16.5B." DVA's entire market cap is only $11.4B (from a simple internet search).

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so please tell me what I'm missing

If nothing has been omitted from BRK's 13F this time, it looks like the mystery investment(s) was/were Chevron, Marsh&Mclennan, Verizon:

SEC FORM 13-F Information Table

Last edited:

Dan Detweiler

Apr 21, 2016
Canton, Georgia
Camp mode, cold weather and Tesla’s future.

Looks like it will be 60 hours with no electricity in a freezing all electric house, it has been 40 hours already. It was 1 degree F this morning. -17C. They are not rolling the black outs. Or prioritizing neighborhoods where natural gas is not available.

I understand calling 211 will get you to a gym.

If you have a model 3 in the garage and cover the glass with packing blankets... camp mode will keep the car at 60F with the garage at 40F and outside at 8F all night for 35 miles of range.

Conclusions:
1) Camp mode works
2) I am happy the power is still in the car as it is an environmental escape pod.
3) Tesla stock should go up as the benefits of energy storage are demonstrated time and again.

Here you see Bella, the dog, and the camp mode screen many have never seen.

View attachment 637380
View attachment 637383
"Nah...climate change is a myth." SMH

Dan

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA

Benzinga - 1.5 hours ago: Tesla May Have Already Made More In Profits From Bitcoin Than Electric Vehicles

Excerpt:

Bitcoin hit $50,000 for the first time ever on Tuesday, continuing a 2021 rally that has sent the largest cryptocurrency higher on increased adoption and public companies placing bets on the future.

Tesla purchased $1.5 billion in Bitcoin in the month of January, although the company hasn't revealed its average purchase price of how many Bitcoin it holds.

ReddyLeaf

Mar 19, 2014
WA State
An article was published yesterday in The Age newspaper here in Australia that does a pretty good job of explaining the current and future role of big batteries in Australia's energy grid. From Teslas original big battery in South Australia to the current state of play. I recommend taking the time to read it:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ape-the-electricity-grid-20210211-p571qm.html

Much of it will already be known to many here but it contains a lot of information I haven't seen spelled out this clearly before. It also shows what is likely to occur in other grids around the world as renewables take over from traditional energy.

Some of the main points and quotes worth noting:

The article provides a detailed list of all the big batteries currently operating or proposed in Australia. It lists a total of 7,805MW worth of battery projects in a country where the peak electricity demand is currently around 35,000MW. Many of these batteries are likely to be provided by Tesla.

“We can say for sure now that battery storage is much cheaper than transmission lines and that case is only likely to grow,”
-There are currently a lot of expensive transmission line projects being planned in Australia - batteries will make many of these redundant.

"Big batteries can also remove the need for hydro dams – which can only be built where rivers and geography allow – and require big costly transmission lines to move their power to where it is most needed."
- Our governmenets are currently spending Billions of dollars on large centralised pumped hydro projects with massive transmission lines.

"batteries are now so cheap they are out-competing gas peaking plants, changing the way operators and regulators view future infrastructure needs"

“batteries will almost certainly win”
ok, who has Elon on Twitter? It’s probably a good time to push for Tesla MegaPacks in Texas. 100 MW/400 MWh in 100 days or it’s free? Looks like a lot of people in Texas would love to have a more stable electrical system.

goinfraftw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2017
USA
You know that part of the reason I did this analysis was to determine how Tesla Energy works, along with other solar companies, to determine what their roadmap might look like in the future. If Tesla is interested in buying the cars they produce themselves, its fair that they might do the same with solar/roofs and sell the electricity back to the grid and stabilizes through Autobidder.

Edit: Elon has mentioned building a massive solar farm somewhere, like Texas, to power the entire US in the past...as an example.

It doesn't seem half-baked anymore that Texas would just install a gigantic Tesla solar farm somewhere in the state, right? Puerto Rico, too?

Mo City

Jul 17, 2016
near Houston
I was watching bloomberg all day yesterday and it was amazing to see the hosts continually blame renewables and expert guests be like "ya thats not whats happening right now"
Unfortunately, Gov Abbott put the blame squarely on solar and wind. He's up for reelection in Nov 2022 and his response to this historic meltdown will define his administration and campaign.

Not promising at all. The fossil fuel industry here will make sure he wins.

Subhuman

Aug 1, 2013
United States
ok, who has Elon on Twitter? It’s probably a good time to push for Tesla MegaPacks in Texas. 100 MW/400 MWh in 100 days or it’s free? Looks like a lot of people in Texas would love to have a more stable electrical system.

Oh, you must had not heard that poor battery performance due to the cold is contributing to the whole power shortage :rolleyes:

FEB5810B-64F8-4467-8C77-CF9A583C44D7.jpeg

goinfraftw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2017
USA
Unfortunately, Gov Abbott put the blame squarely on solar and wind. He's up for reelection in Nov 2022 and his response to this historic meltdown will define his administration and campaign.

Is the fossil fuel industry, as its been constructed (e.g. Chevron), going to always be only about fossil fuels? or just what we call the "Energy" industry?

At what point will it be economical, from a business perspective, to make the switch over to renewables to still be the "Energy" industry?

Reactions: Cape Coddess

MC3OZ

Jul 25, 2019
QLD Australia

Hopefully the Tesla Austin factory will help lift the quality if the debate.

EVs and Clean Energy are going to put Fossil Fuels out of business, that will do a lot to lift the quality of the debate.

I think the poster above is right, energy is just energy, and what matter most is, price, reliability, sustainability and minimizing damage to human health and the environment. Clean energy ticks all the boxes.
Fundamentally these is no unsolved problem with clean energy that needs to be solved.

At what point will it be economical, from a business perspective, to make the switch over to renewables to still be the "Energy" industry?

If you want a more technical debate, this is the right thread:-
Tesla Energy and utility scale projects

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC