Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 9.36.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 9.34.55 PM.png

A friend thinks (through a trading discord) that Tesla is going to announce something with TRCH/MMAT (Torchlight Energy and Metamaterials)

Note that MMAT lists an address in the same building as Jeff Dahn's Lab in Halifax. I said it was coincidence, but maybe not?

Uber's impediment to success has always been dependent on the questionable tax treatment of their drivers. I.e., are they employees or subcontractors? IMO, all things considered, they are employees. A UK court recently ruled that they are employees. Although a recent US court ruled the other way, several lower courts have ruled that they are employees. I believe that a merger between Uber or Left and Tesla would solve this issue. In some sort of business combination, Uber could supply the drivers, data and operating system; Tesla would supply the vehicles, charging etc.. With the huge gap between ICE and BEV (Tesla) operating and ownership costs, it could work. Obviously, there is a lot to be considered.

• Informative
Reactions: capster and RMan
Uber's impediment to success has always been dependent on the questionable tax treatment of their drivers. I.e., are they employees or subcontractors? IMO, all things considered, they are employees. A UK court recently ruled that they are employees. Although a recent US court ruled the other way, several lower courts have ruled that they are employees. I believe that a merger between Uber or Left and Tesla would solve this issue. In some sort of business combination, Uber could supply the drivers, data and operating system; Tesla would supply the vehicles, charging etc.. With the huge gap between ICE and BEV (Tesla) operating and ownership costs, it could work. Obviously, there is a lot to be considered.
A partnership (much less a merger) would one-sidedly benefit Uber, not Tesla. This is why Travis Kalanick said in 2015 he'd buy all of Tesla's 500K production in 2020 if they were autonomous.

Tesla needs Uber like they need a ball and chain on their leg. Uber will be victim #1 when robotaxis are unleashed. If all OEMs eventually achieve autonomy (as Elon believes), Uber will become near useless. Kalanick said this himself.

IMO, the Uber era will be remembered as a 10-year transition period.

Strabane isn't convenient to anything, relatively speaking.

There is a port nearby, from that port they could export to Europe...

We would need to determine what they are making and if that production process required a lot if import/export.

Energy storage batteries are a possible candidate.

EDIT:: Maybe there are some useful raw materials nearby:-
http://earthwise.bgs.ac.uk/index.php/Bulk_minerals,_mineral_resources,_Northern_Ireland

However do get lots of these rumors, very few true out to be true.

Last edited:
Unless Elon is betting on Northern Ireland reuniting with Ireland and therefore returning to the EU, it would make no sense to build a factory there which is outside the EU's territory.

Also building a factory anywhere on the British Isles fundamentally makes no sense because cars would need to travel by boat to reach continental Europe. Even if the UK was still part of the EU, it would still be a terrible idea.

I'm guessing this is Tesla responding to an increased likelihood of the Federal tax credit coming back. They can't increase prices by $7k across the board without facing criticism, and they cannot yet produce enough SR to satisfy the demand that would be induced by tax credit. So they've ceased sales of the SR and expect to capture some of the tax credit as additional margin when those who would have bought an SR stretch for the LR instead.

Or could be related to that recent news of Tesla replacing the sprung structure for the Model Y at Fremont with a permanent one. Maybe they just won't have the space to make the SR while they're building the new assembly line.

That's all logical and reasonable speculation. We may never learn the specifics but one thing is pretty certain: It was a logical first principles response to facts on the ground that we may never know.

What kills me are the people who jump to unwarranted conclusions and say things like "oh, golly gee whizz, this really reflects poorly on them, maybe they are a bunch of totally disorganized amateurs" as if that's even worth discussing.

I'll say this: If the performance of the company to date was the result of a bunch of disorganized amateurs then, quick, hire a bunch more disorganized amateurs!

That's all logical and reasonable speculation. We may never learn the specifics but one thing is pretty certain: It was a logical first principles response to facts on the ground that we may never know.

What kills me are the people who jump to unwarranted conclusions and say things like "oh, golly gee whizz, this really reflects poorly on them, maybe they are a bunch of totally disorganized amateurs" as if that's even worth discussing.

I'll say this: If the performance of the company to date was the result of a bunch of disorganized amateurs then, quick, hire a bunch more disorganized amateurs!

But as random people are twitter and forums like this were are orders of magnitude smarter than the people of the companies we envy and obsess over. Come on.

• Funny
Reactions: Nakata
I'm guessing this is Tesla responding to an increased likelihood of the Federal tax credit coming back. They can't increase prices by $7k across the board without facing criticism, and they cannot yet produce enough SR to satisfy the demand that would be induced by tax credit. So they've ceased sales of the SR and expect to capture some of the tax credit as additional margin when those who would have bought an SR stretch for the LR instead.

Or could be related to that recent news of Tesla replacing the sprung structure for the Model Y at Fremont with a permanent one. Maybe they just won't have the space to make the SR while they're building the new assembly line.
I suspect this is the right answer. Ask yourself what levers Tesla has to deal with the likely impending tax credit...if they are supply limited and suddenly overnight, consumers can get their Tesla for $7K less, that produces a serious backlog. Might as well temper it a bit and increase margins while they are at it. This stuff is quite complicated IMO

But as random people are twitter and forums like this were are orders of magnitude smarter than the people of the companies we envy and obsess over. Come on.

Corporate Aristocrats should never be questioned.

Once corporations reach ultimate success, like Boeing and General Electric, they are never run into the ground.

Is that on a scale of 0-10 or 1-10? :confused:

He did get it to roll down a hill so well peopl
Corporate Aristocrats should never be questioned.

Once corporations reach ultimate success, like Boeing and General Electric, they are never run into the ground.

Interestingly I think this raises an interesting point about the entrepreneur leader vs the hired gun replacement CEO. Whoever does eventually succeed Musk is going to get a hell of a lot more scrutiny than Musk ever did, which is saying something.

Was just going to ask if anyone knows why everything has dropped so much pre market?

"The market"; NASDAQ futures down, Dow futures down, gold up, Bitcoin up (the new gold?). TSLA just has a multiplier which goes both ways...

Still - what gives? Uneployment - but these are hardly news? And it seems stimulus is being pushed through congress?

• Helpful
Reactions: NooB_cat