Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The individual I replied to was asking whether he placed his order correctly and I affirmed that he had, and patted him on the back for his fairly-safe and likely-profitable choice.

You have a very limited post history so yes I'm gonna jump on you when you pop out with a textbook warning about options.
This stuff is basic. What you're doing is analogous to if this were say a gun forum, and every time someone relayed a story about a recent trip to the range you harangued them about the inherent risk in shooting anything.

This is an investor forum. People know.
I turned $10k into $2million in 18 months and almost always announced my trades including my losses. If people had followed and mimicked my trades they would have done extremely well.
There have been plenty of basic questions about options in this forum and not every investor is familiar or experienced with them. There is a lot of unbridled enthusiasm here, and it does not hurt to bring in real-world reminders on occasion.

You keep mentioning how much money you made, which obviously you are very proud of, and I'm happy for your success, but basically anyone who had the sense/fortitude to bet on calls through this period has made a metric butt-ton of money.

Fremont Flyover - Feb 21, 2021

• Some S & X found but I haven't checked whether they're the refreshed models. Very hard to see the models while flying. Will go back in about a week and take more time checking the interior of the cars if I can.
  • Small building on top of Roadrunner seems relatively finished. Lots of new hardware on top of the large Roadrunner building.
Enjoy
Thanks for the vid - exciting to see the Roadrunner building looking much more finished - hopefully that means they're scaling well.

Scrappage from the casting machines was a little more than I was expecting. But there's far more than this that look usable - so yield is probably pretty good.
upload_2021-2-22_18-12-55.png

Was wondering myself about that.

Difference is that Tesla has always been planning to ramp at 50%. The problem that I have read for the OEMs is that the chip manufacturers reached out to them for commitments during the COVID crash and they refused to commit to any quantities. Then the chip manufacturers were overwhelmed for chip orders for booming industries like the straight PCs.

Tesla has been quiet on this, but I am hoping that they reaffirmed the chips they wanted and should have less of a problem than the OEMs.

Oh! I like that answer! That would be nice indeed.

There have been plenty of basic questions about options in this forum and not every investor is familiar or experienced with them. There is a lot of unbridled enthusiasm here, and it does not hurt to bring in real-world reminders on occasion.

You keep mentioning how much money you made, which obviously you are very proud of, and I'm happy for your success, but basically anyone who had the sense/fortitude to bet on calls through this period has made a metric butt-ton of money.

The only one mentioning REAL WORLD situations is me; yours are hypothetical.

Sure I'm proud of my investing choices but it's more that I want to dissuade people from being too timid and scared of their own shadows to make money.

OBVIOUSLY do not invest more than you can afford to lose. Do not gamble unduly. Duh.

Your abbreviated posting history shows that you have harped on this same topic multiple times and I find that sus.

Reactions: Blue horseshoe
Even with the ugly sub $750 figure on my screen the volume of only 20 million shares traded so far (including all those stop losses @750 - c'mon are really that many people so unimaginative that they'll put a stop loss at such a round number?) is reassuring. Look at this chart of daily volume of TSLA in the last month. The recent drop off in price is happening against the back drop of daily volume going down, and down and down... Loaded spring anyone?

TSLAvolume1mnth.PNG

Model Y SR disappeared on the site and LR drops by a $1000.

Probably mean Tesla has more than enough SR order to deal with til Q2

View attachment 638489

We know that Elon has been obsessed about efficiency and cutting away unnecessary processes since - at least - the famed 'sleeping-on-the-floor-too-close-to-bankwuptcy-for-comfort' Model 3-ramp-up-saga.
We know that the castings substitute ~70 specific parts. We know that he loves to remove, trim, improve and 're-order the atoms'.

Mayby hyper-rational Elon just went-all in and reached the logical conclusion: "The best car is no car"
(/JK)

The only one mentioning REAL WORLD situations is me; yours are hypothetical.

Sure I'm proud of my investing choices but it's more that I want to dissuade people from being too timid and scared of their own shadows to make money.

OBVIOUSLY do not invest more than you can afford to lose. Do not gamble unduly. Duh.

Your abbreviated posting history shows that you have harped on this same topic multiple times and I find that sus.
Sus why? Because I don't post a ton about all my trades or the money I've made? I have made real world money like you have over the past year or so, I just don't have a desire to publicly discuss it, and much like you want to dissuade people from being timid, I want to dissuade them from being irrationally exuberant. Also discussing the years prior to this run up is not hypothetical. I'm sorry you are irritated by hearing it, but I think it is quite reasonable to mention.

I would appreciate comments but not advice regarding the relative pro-con/less stupid form of TSLA investing strategy: is it wiser/less dumb to keep buying lows or is it wiser/less dumb to pay down margin and not utilize cost price averaging? I ask for a very stubborn friend I know.

• Funny
Reactions: gene and T3SLA3
Sus why? Because I don't post a ton about all my trades or the money I've made? I have made real world money like you have over the past year or so, I just don't have a desire to publicly discuss it, and much like you want to dissuade people from being timid, I want to dissuade them from being irrationally exuberant. Also discussing the years prior to this run up is not hypothetical. I'm sorry you are irritated by hearing it, but I think it is quite reasonable to mention.
Which one are you? I'm getting an orange vibe ;)
giphy (30).gif

View attachment 638926

Now now, just because some people don't do options does not mean they are "care bears". For example, I don't understand options so I do not dabble in them at all. I'm a simple trader, I buy shares and I hold them long term. Does that make me a care bear too? o_O

I would appreciate comments but not advice regarding the relative pro-con/less stupid form of TSLA investing strategy: is it wiser/less dumb to keep buying lows or is it wiser/less dumb to pay down margin and not utilize cost price averaging? I ask for a very stubborn friend I know.
This comes down to your risk tolerance and how quickly you think the stock will rise (or not). There's no right answer.

Also from a technical standpoint you never know for sure that you're actually buying "at a low" until later. You just simply have to make your own judgments with these things.

If you want my hunch on trajectory, read what options I bought today and try not to interpret that as "irrational exuberance"

View attachment 638926
You think I'm a tesla bear, or just not emboldened enough to trade? It really astounds me that rational concern for the risk of options trading equates in your mind to these things.

Like probably most here I have held shares for many many years through thick and thin. As I mentioned I don't generally like discussing my trading too much, but to humor you I will announce that I converted shares into LEAPS today in my IRA and sold weekly puts both friday and today, and bought a few weekly calls for this week today. I enjoy both investing and trading as much as the next guy.

The MiC LFP Model 3 received an OTA update over the weekend. This fixed the charge rate (0..50% in 15 minutes; 0..100% in 50 minutes), albeit tested at higher ambient temperature. Also SoC display improved and vehicle was able to go a sustained 200 km/h.
(Video in German language)
Elon, YOU SNEAKY BASS TURD!
Yeah, I see what you did.... you sent those LFP's to the German Market with intentionally heinous software to point out the difference between Audi/VW/Porsche software plug in updates and Tesla's OTA update ability....
that was cool-cruel.