Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attention shoppers: blue light special.

chairs.png

@Artful Dodger did we trip a short sale circuit breaker? It was very interesting to watch L2 quotes as the buy side order book was well ahead of the last transaction price for several minutes. Liquidity issue anyone?

The SEC "Uptick rule" curcuit breaker trips at -10% so today that would've been at $643.05 (we hit that at 09:40 EST and powered straight through it).

People need to understand that large Hedge Funds with Market Maker credentials have a 'work-around' for the Uptick Rule: it is SEC Regulation SHO.

Reg SHO basically allows Options Market Makers to naked short sell shares to offset any short options they sell (they don't need to even try to locate a share before selling another one short). So the abuse is that instead of naked short selling shares to drive down the price after the 'Uptrick Rule' takes effect, hedgies simply continue hammering the SP by buying short puts in great quantity.

This triggers their broker to reflexively sell the equivalent number of shares naked with the aid of the Reg. SHO exemption (helps when they are their own Market Maker too, so they never have to report a "FTD" wot?)

TL;dr There is no protection for retail investors from the SEC's "Uptick Rule".

This Lucid interview on CNBC is painful.

"I think 90 miles per hour charging at home is a game changer" - Lucid CEO

Anyone who has an EV knows this is a meaningless comment and so full of garbage it makes me question the whole damn thing. Not to mention how many people's homes would be compatible with such power draw.

I like Cramer but he's still waiting for Tesla's batteries that will make it go a million miles without charging. lol

All Tesla would have to do to beat that is release a 30-40KW home-install DC fast charger.

Given the number of people with ability to dedicate a 240V/200A circuit to their EV, they wouldn't sell a boatload, that's for sure.. so not including that parts cost with every car makes sense...

starting to feel like the old roller-coaster days around here ... we needed a little excitement to shake out the week longs
this means more more shares at a discount for us o_O.. assuming you were prepared ... we may get a few more opportunities before Q1 earnings...

anecdotally ... been traveling NYS Thruway lately ...seeing a lot of Model Y and Model 3 .. looking like SF Bay area 2-3 years ago .. you all know this bit it still amazes me ...

I think I opened the wrong door, as I seem to have ended up at CareCon, the annual Care Bear Convention. I think some people need to mind their step.

Long-term, TSLA is a good investment. Short-term, I do not think it is wise to expect a large rise without any major short-term catalysts. The S&P500 inclusion broke out from the 380-420 consolidation.

To anyone with no/low cash amounts, please do not worry about "missing out". There is no major catalyst for TSLA to break out of this dip in short-term. You will have plenty of time to DCA. This could last months.
Then why are you on a TSLA specific investment message board?

And please state your reasoning instead of trying to spread fear. Little advice: your posts have little effect over here since we lived through years of sideways trading and most importantly the Model 3 ramp (those were the days!).

While you spread doom and gloom to a wall, the long time TMCers will hold strongly and maybe buy the dip, since:

- Tesla could achieve 1 million vehicles produced and maybe delivered in 2021;
- Tesla could achieve level 5 autonomy in 2021;
- Tesla could announce a new factory in Asia at any time;
- Tesla could update us on manufacturing of cars and/or batteries at any time;
- Tesla could reveal a new product at any time (Model 2, HVAC for your home, ...)
- new price targets can boost the stock at any time (ARK Invest has hinted it will announce theirs soon)
- Tesla has enough money and competitive advantage to ride out any crisis (the OEMs not so much)
- Tesla energy and solar are going to ramp hugely during 2021-2022

So please explain why you believe Tesla is going lower with facts. If not, refrain from posting. Good day sir/madam.

To anyone with no/low cash amounts, please do not worry about "missing out". There is no major catalyst for TSLA to break out of this dip in short-term. You will have plenty of time to DCA. This could last months.

There are at least three catalysts that could happen any time, maybe not for months, but maybe, just maybe tomorrow:

1. Tesla Network launch
2. Announcement of Model 2 reveal.
3. India gigafactory, or Indonesian battery factory. [added]

There are also:

4. Announcement of the X holding company (Elon's shares in his various ventures)
5. Xcoin or similar

Neither of these should affect TSLA price, but probably would. Finally there is always the possibility of something completely unexpected.

Last edited: