Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe you need that many reasons why more people don't own a Tesla. Let me fix it for you: Tesla doesn't make enough of them. They sell everyone they make as soon as they can make it. More people wanting to own a Tesla does not equal more Tesla owners. Not even one more.

I agree with the previous contribution that suggested the PR can become a priority once production volume is high enough to require Tesla to have to actively promote their products. That day is likely a long way off because the cars keep getting better and more affordable.
Theoretically, if people are not time constrained to get their Tesla, they can order it online and wait for it. However, I don’t know regular non EV enthusiast consumers who are ready to order and wait for more than 3 months for a 50k+ product over so if the delivery waiting list goes higher, it might push some other EV/ICE indifferent customer to another brand even if they were originally interested by a Tesla.

one of my colleague was back from a big week end of work, just stopped at the Audi dealership and bought a RS3, not asking any question. When I gave him a lift in my Model 3 6 months later, he said he finally regretted his choice for the first time. What an impulsive buyer!

Mizuho Securities analyst Vijay Rakesh initiates coverage on $TSLA with a Buy rating & a price target of $775.

1615426306151.png

Last time.
The previous context was that the rental company rents them out to PEOPLE that have to actually drive them while doing lyft rides. The next step is not complete autonomy but having people still be behind the wheel while having almost completely developed FSD engaged while doing Lyft rides.
I think you skipped that part of the evolution on purpose

I skipped it because it makes no sense as a business model.

Why would the rental car company pay $10,000 (or a monthly fee that is more than $10,000 over the life of the vehicle) to provide extra L2 driving features to their customers?

Why would their customers pay extra to get that?

The whole reason they have customers is because some lyft and uber drivers are so short on cash they can't afford a working car so they have to rent one.

You think THOSE drivers want to pay extra for what amounts to human-supervised city enhanced autopilot in their rental?

But even if they somehow DID wanna pay extra for that (for what reason you've yet to explain- not like they'd get anything out of supplying Tesla free training data) there's another problem with it.

But this "rental company" will be involved in developing the robotaxi fleet

They really won't. (at least not any more than any other tesla on the road will)

Again they rent their cars out to people who want to drive for lyft, uber, doordash, etc.

Teslas original FSD terms of service specifically excluded doing that.

Tesla original FSD terms of service said:
Please note that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network

Now... they probably wouldn't ever catch the occasional rando owner doing it anyway.

But if a commercial rental company announced "HEY COME RENT OUT FSD CARS TO DRIVE FOR UBER" they probably would notice.

I'd suggest you read the press release about this:

He points out the reasons as EVs being more sustainable, cleaner, and far cheaper to operate (both for the rental car company and the renters).

Not once in the entire thing is autonomy mentioned.

At all.

It's not relevant to this move.

On the contrary, the eventual existence of Robotaxis would put them out of business. Their entire business model is renting to DRIVERS.

Last edited:
Wash sale strategy session (not advice)... if someone had say, $10,000 in short term capital gains from a sale in January, and then afterwards, bought Tesla high and stock went down, it seems wise to take a $10,000 loss on a certain number of shares to cancel out the short term cap gains? But doesn’t that mean wash sale if you buy more Tesla after that? I don’t know if I can handle not buying Tesla for 30 days. Damn you wash sale! Somehow I’ve managed to learn the wrong lesson from wash sale rules.

Wash sale strategy session (not advice)... if someone had say, $10,000 in short term capital gains from a sale in January, and then afterwards, bought Tesla high and stock went down, it seems wise to take a $10,000 loss on a certain number of shares to cancel out the short term cap gains? But doesn’t that mean wash sale if you buy more Tesla after that? I don’t know if I can handle not buying Tesla for 30 days. Damn you wash sale! Somehow I’ve managed to learn the wrong lesson from wash sale rules.
Can you sell the stock for a loss and buy an itm call?

• Disagree
Reactions: Jovian
$775? Bear.
I did a first pass through the 61 pager. It's pretty good. Potential for more upside as he didn't give enough credit for FSD and Solar. They were well aware of 4680 and lists it as a primary driver of cost savings. I was pretty impressed with the level of detail, down to the type of charger adapters are in use for each region.

Maybe I do a TLDR tomorrow.

Can you sell the stock for a loss and buy an itm call?

No. A call is considered the same as shares (i.e., in both cases, you benefit when the stock goes up). The rule is set up so you cannot do exactly what you want to do - take a loss while at the same time buying the dip that caused your loss.

EDIT for clarity: You CAN, you just can’t take the loss until you sell what you bought. So if you sell that ITM call in 2021, you can claim the loss (since it’s added to whatever you gained or lost on that call). If you hold the call into 2022, you must wait to claim the loss on the shares until then.

The contrast in dark mode is too much and very annoying to read, I gave up on it. Bright white text on black is no good. Text should be slightly gray, or background less black. Too bad we just can't pick the background and foreground colors.

One solution for this in Chrome and Chromium-based browsers is to use the "Dark Reader" plug-in. It allows you to adjust brightness and contrast to set the white text to a more readable shade of gray. I find my reading experience much easier after adjusting these settings.

'mostly due to twitter antics' - IMHO its mostly due to reading FUD on yahoo news / apple news. I have a good friend that test drove the M3, thought it was cool, but with all the FUD he reads, ended up buying a Honda Accord non-plugin hybrid, in 2020. Pretty frustrating to me, because he frames everything I correct as 'coming from a fanboy' and everything from the FUD slingers as 'coming from financial experts'. Even though he sees the range difference and more capability of the autopilot and better performance, he ended up chosing the Accord because he wouldn't trust Elon, wouldnt trust the build quality, wouldn't trust a company that shows a price on the website that includes potential savings. He also bought into the 'charging a car is harder than refueling gas' nonsense, which especially isn't true for him as a homeowner who could connect to a Tesla home charger overnight. He also didn't buy the cost argument, that in the long run the M3 would have been cheaper.

Of course we could say this doesn't matter, he is just one of the less fortunate ones that wasted their money on a legacy gas car and misses out while others get their Tesla first, and Tesla is battery constrained anyways, so its not that demand is a problem at this point.
You can lead a fool to data but you can't make him think.

It's sad to see a good friend be a fool, but that's life in the Big City of being a non-fool. All you can do is be grateful you're not him.

My biggest TSLA screw up was due to wash sale rules. Think back to thanksgiving 2019. Tesla was about to unveil the Cybertruck. I had a pretty good feeling that TSLA was going to dive after the presentation. So I sold a block of Tesla at a slight loss at about $360/share pre split. Sure enough, the price dropped after the Cybertruck unveil. Gotta wait 30 days, just before New Years to buy back though. Well thats when the freaking price went from something like $330 to $850 in less than a month. I never did buy back (I had more TSLA stock, my core holding).

Lesson learned, do not sell TSLA. End of story.